Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas fire keeps "cutting out"

We've had a gas fire (2nd Hand) in the lounge for 10 years now. Properly
fitted by a corgi fitter, who fitted a flue liner (or something) and
mounted it into the fireplace.

Of late, it's started "cutting out" after about half an hour, it's
roaring away on setting no. 2 (the one we use most) and then just stops
and goes back to a small flame. I'm guessing the flame sensor is flaky,
and it thinks it's lost the flame, so chokes the gas ? Is there anything
I can clean, or check the adjustment of, or is it straight to a GasSafe
fitter ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:58:58 GMT, Jethro_uk wrote:

We've had a gas fire (2nd Hand) in the lounge for 10 years now. Of
late, it's started "cutting out" after about half an hour, it's roaring
away on setting no. 2 (the one we use most) and then just stops
and goes back to a small flame.

A "coal effect real flame fire" burning gas and shoving most of the heat
up the chimney or a gas fire with incandescant fire bricks?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 4:58*pm, Jethro_uk wrote:
We've had a gas fire (2nd Hand) in the lounge for 10 years now. Properly
fitted by a corgi fitter, who fitted a flue liner (or something) and
mounted it into the fireplace.

Of late, it's started "cutting out" after about half an hour, it's
roaring away on setting no. 2 (the one we use most) and then just stops
and goes back to a small flame. I'm guessing the flame sensor is flaky,
and it thinks it's lost the flame, so chokes the gas ? Is there anything
I can clean, or check the adjustment of, or is it straight to a GasSafe
fitter ?

You could be right about the flame sensor/thermocouple. But usually
they wont light up at all if the thermocouple is US. You can get them
pretty easily, there are universal ones that fit most things.
But if it has never been serviced in ten years there are lots of
things that will need cleaning out. It could even be dangerous.
The flame could be "lifting off" if the gas/air ratio is wrong through
some kind of blockage.