Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Misbehaving electric shower-worth repairing?

Have one of these in the spare shower room (installed 5 years ago, so
perhaps our's an older model, but look identical as far as I can tell).

Rarely used, but recently started to misbehave. It has 3 water pressure
button (low/medium/high), and then a dial to set the temperature. We
have always had it used on the High setting, and the temperature dial at
around the middle setting.

Now in the High setting the water temperature is far too hot (even with
the dial set to minimum). In the Medium setting the temperature is too
low (even with the dial set to maximum)...

I assume something to do with a thermostat? Is it worth preparing?
Considering its working environment my top priority is safety of course...

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could check the filter. There's sometimes a little mesh filter, probably on the inlet.

A common problem is scaling. If you think of how scaled up your 2 or 3 kW kettle gets in a year, then consider the shower is probably 8 or 9 kW with the element in a space about the size of a cigarette packet.

I had electric showers in a hard water area and they started to behave oddly including symptoms similar to yours. It wasn't a faulty thermostat, the thermostat was behaving correctly but acting to prevent overheating in a scaled up element.

I couldn't find a way of descaling or replacing the heater element. I replaced the entire unit, then that scaled up a couple of years later (it was heavily used). I got a third one and installed a water softener which seemed to do the trick - it lasted till I sold the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2012 12:27, JoeJoe wrote:
Have one of these in the spare shower room (installed 5 years ago, so
perhaps our's an older model, but look identical as far as I can tell).

Rarely used, but recently started to misbehave. It has 3 water pressure
button (low/medium/high), and then a dial to set the temperature. We
have always had it used on the High setting, and the temperature dial at
around the middle setting.

Now in the High setting the water temperature is far too hot (even with
the dial set to minimum). In the Medium setting the temperature is too
low (even with the dial set to maximum)...

I assume something to do with a thermostat? Is it worth preparing?
Considering its working environment my top priority is safety of course...

TIA

Oops! forgot to include the link to the shower:
http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom...taps/16251.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JoeJoe
writes
Have one of these in the spare shower room (installed 5 years ago, so
perhaps our's an older model, but look identical as far as I can tell).

Rarely used, but recently started to misbehave. It has 3 water pressure
button (low/medium/high), and then a dial to set the temperature. We
have always had it used on the High setting, and the temperature dial at
around the middle setting.

Now in the High setting the water temperature is far too hot (even with
the dial set to minimum). In the Medium setting the temperature is too
low (even with the dial set to maximum)...

I assume something to do with a thermostat? Is it worth preparing?
Considering its working environment my top priority is safety of course...

TIA

They don't have a thermostat, temperature is controlled by the number of
elements turned on[1] and the water flow (set by the flow restrictor -
temp control knob).

If it's over temp at maximum flow then there is either low pressure or a
flow restriction so look for anything that would reduce flow, like a
blocked input filter. You say you have soft water so it shouldn't be
either limescale internally or on the shower head[2]. Try removing the
shower head to see if water flow improves. Have you noticed a reduction
in flow?

Also, I assume no-one has had the front off? The knob for the temp/flow
control usually disengages when the front panel is removed and failing
to re-assemble it in the same position could result in less than normal
flow at the max posn.

From your link to the actual shower, it's not cheap crap so well worth
persevering with.

[1] There are 2 elements of roughly equal power, high is normally both
on, medium is one on and low is neither on.
[2] shower head blockage would be v bad as it will pop the over pressure
safety device in the heater
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:00:44 PM UTC+1, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe

writes

[...]

From your link to the actual shower, it's not cheap crap so well worth

persevering with.

[1] There are 2 elements of roughly equal power, high is normally both

on, medium is one on and low is neither on.

[2] shower head blockage would be v bad as it will pop the over pressure

safety device in the heater

Either not enough flow or too much power. The latter can be caused by a split element

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2012 18:01, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
writes
[...]

No change in flow as far as I can tell... However, I just tried the tip
about removing the shower head (no effect BTW), and the "Low Flow"
indicator came on briefly when setting was on High with lowest temp.
Never seen that light coming on before. Is that a further clue as to the
cause?

Also, I assume no-one has had the front off? The knob for the temp/flow
control usually disengages when the front panel is removed and failing
to re-assemble it in the same position could result in less than normal
flow at the max posn.

No one touched it - I am sure of that. I fitted a fair few of those
several years ago, so am very familiar them.

From your link to the actual shower, it's not cheap crap so well worth
persevering with.

That's also what I thought. It is just that the idea of messing about
with something electrical that is all but under water, and with you
standing in a puddle next to it, makes me very uncomfortable.

[1] There are 2 elements of roughly equal power, high is normally both
on, medium is one on and low is neither on.
[2] shower head blockage would be v bad as it will pop the over pressure
safety device in the heater

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JoeJoe
writes
On 25/10/2012 18:01, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
writes

If it's over temp at maximum flow then there is either low pressure or a
flow restriction so look for anything that would reduce flow, like a
blocked input filter. You say you have soft water so it shouldn't be
either limescale internally or on the shower head[2]. Try removing the
shower head to see if water flow improves. Have you noticed a reduction
in flow?

No change in flow as far as I can tell... However, I just tried the tip
about removing the shower head (no effect BTW), and the "Low Flow"
indicator came on briefly when setting was on High with lowest temp.
Never seen that light coming on before. Is that a further clue as to the
cause?

Clogged input filter sounds most likely.

From your link to the actual shower, it's not cheap crap so well worth
persevering with.

That's also what I thought. It is just that the idea of messing about
with something electrical that is all but under water, and with you
standing in a puddle next to it, makes me very uncomfortable.

I can understand your caution and it is understandable, a shower is a
scary appliance, high current, exposed terminals and water to boot but a
properly installed one will have a double pole isolator before it which
you can and should use to make it safe before opening the case. You can
also switch it off at your consumer unit for that extra feeling of
safety.

Download the installers manual for extra confidence on the correct way
to open and dismantle it. It should show you where the filter is
located.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2012 20:59, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
writes
On 25/10/2012 18:01, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
writes

If it's over temp at maximum flow then there is either low pressure or a
flow restriction so look for anything that would reduce flow, like a
blocked input filter. You say you have soft water so it shouldn't be
either limescale internally or on the shower head[2]. Try removing the
shower head to see if water flow improves. Have you noticed a reduction
in flow?

No change in flow as far as I can tell... However, I just tried the tip
about removing the shower head (no effect BTW), and the "Low Flow"
indicator came on briefly when setting was on High with lowest temp.
Never seen that light coming on before. Is that a further clue as to the
cause?

Clogged input filter sounds most likely.

From your link to the actual shower, it's not cheap crap so well worth
persevering with.

That's also what I thought. It is just that the idea of messing about
with something electrical that is all but under water, and with you
standing in a puddle next to it, makes me very uncomfortable.

I can understand your caution and it is understandable, a shower is a
scary appliance, high current, exposed terminals and water to boot but a
properly installed one will have a double pole isolator before it which
you can and should use to make it safe before opening the case. You can
also switch it off at your consumer unit for that extra feeling of safety.

Download the installers manual for extra confidence on the correct way
to open and dismantle it. It should show you where the filter is located.

Cheers for that. Found the manual and will give the filter cleaning a go
at the weekend.

Thanks to all for now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2012 16:48, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

I have just had to clean the filter on ours to cure exactly the same
symptoms - once cleaned the problem was solved. Ours looks slightly
different but is a Mira Sport - 9KW I think.

Two screws on top, one on the bottom. Ease off the cover and then the
cover on the left side. Carefully undo the plastic hex filter. I found
an orange tube which I put under the tap to discover the orange colour
washed off to leave a fine clear plastic mesh. I don't know what the
orange was but it was obviously impeding the flow.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2012 21:11, JoeJoe wrote:
On 25/10/2012 20:59, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
writes
On 25/10/2012 18:01, fred wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
writes

If it's over temp at maximum flow then there is either low pressure
or a
flow restriction so look for anything that would reduce flow, like a
blocked input filter. You say you have soft water so it shouldn't be
either limescale internally or on the shower head[2]. Try removing the
shower head to see if water flow improves. Have you noticed a reduction
in flow?

No change in flow as far as I can tell... However, I just tried the tip
about removing the shower head (no effect BTW), and the "Low Flow"
indicator came on briefly when setting was on High with lowest temp.
Never seen that light coming on before. Is that a further clue as to the
cause?

Clogged input filter sounds most likely.

From your link to the actual shower, it's not cheap crap so well worth
[...]

Just a quick update (too me a while to find the time to follow the advice).

Cleaned the filter as advised, and all is working fine again!

Old LCD worth repairing? Chas[_4_] Electronics Repair 3 March 15th 12 12:38 AM
Repairing a garden hose - worth it? MiamiCuse Home Repair 22 October 21st 09 07:07 PM
Shower pump misbehaving Ian Chard UK diy 2 January 16th 08 11:14 PM
Fridge worth repairing?? Joe-46er Home Repair 10 September 8th 04 07:52 PM
Worth repairing a breadmaker? Jayne Findhorn Electronics Repair 5 November 4th 03 12:55 PM