Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old LCD worth repairing?

My 32" Polaroid LCD tv just got the black screen. Sound is good and channel
changing works...just the video...It is pretty old as it cost over $900 when
I got it, so that dates it 12 plus years I would think.
.. . .It had a wonderful screen and although I have already replaced it with
a 32" Emerson, I am wondering if the Polaroid would be worth investing $$$$
in, that is if one can find a tech here in SW. Montana. any imput
please...chas.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The first thing is to figure out what's wrong, then how much it will cost to
fix it. You can then make a value judgment.

The once-proud Polaroid name (there was a time when Polaroid held the
position -- "maker of magic" -- Apple now does) has been attached to many
indifferent products. It's unlikely you'll be able to get parts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:06:54 -0600, "Chas"
wrote:

My 32" Polaroid LCD tv just got the black screen. Sound is good and channel
changing works...just the video...It is pretty old as it cost over $900 when
I got it, so that dates it 12 plus years I would think.
. . .It had a wonderful screen and although I have already replaced it with
a 32" Emerson, I am wondering if the Polaroid would be worth investing $$$$
in, that is if one can find a tech here in SW. Montana. any imput
please...chas.

If you have to take it to a tech it's probably not worth repairing.
While Polaroid was well known for their instant cameras, their TVs
were noteworthy only for low quality and lack of service support.
Your estimate as to it's age is off by a factor of 2, I'd say. The
Polaroids were dumped on the market in the 2006 - 2009 time frame.
The Emerson you replaced it with is cut from the same cloth.

There are several tests I suggest for the 'no picture' problem.

1. In a completely dark room, is there any light visible from the
screen when it is turned on? This may be mst noticeable around the
edges of the screen. If so, does it flash briefly, or does it stay
on?

2. Again, in a completely dark room, is there any light visible
from the back of the set when it is turned on? Again, if so does it
stay on or only flash briefly?

3. With the TV on and receiving a signal, can you see an image if you
shine a bright light at an angle onto the screen?

These TVs are notorious for an inverter failure. This may be either a
bad transformer, which will result in a brief flash before the
protection crcuit shuts the inverter down; or an open fuse, in which
case you will not see any signs of light.

If you do see a faint glow from the screen, but no picture, you may
have a tcon failure. Search for the TV model number on eBay to see if
they are available.

If you can see an image with the bight light you have confirmed it is
either an inverter, CCFL, or possibly a power supply fault. Another
common problem with these sets are bad capacitors in the power supply.
A complete set of caps will cost $15-$20 from Digi-Key if you are in
the USA.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Chas" wrote in message
My 32" Polaroid LCD tv just got the black screen. Sound is good and
channel changing works...just the video...It is pretty old as it cost over
$900 when I got it, so that dates it 12 plus years I would think.
. . .It had a wonderful screen and although I have already replaced it
with a 32" Emerson, I am wondering if the Polaroid would be worth
investing $$$$ in, that is if one can find a tech here in SW. Montana.
any imput please...chas.

Sometimes a bad fuse link on the T-conn board.

Mark Z.