Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flooring change under doors?

Hi all,

I'm trying to finish off Mums bathroom (CH modified and all working
now) and am doing the unfinished half of the 6mm ply_over_floorboards
ready for the vinyl. Question though, when brining and especially
changing the flooring type at a doorway, where do you make the
transition? I'm guessing, ideally it would be under the door itself
(so it's not seen from the inside or outside when the door is closed)
but if so, is it really as simple as that?

ie, I'm not sure how you would take say a vinyl over 6mm ply in a
bathroom into say a carpet on the landing? Are their specific joining
strips for all the different combinations and are they all narrower
than the thickness of a standard internal door?

Who would stock a good section of the things please?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to finish off Mums bathroom (CH modified and all working
now) and am doing the unfinished half of the 6mm ply_over_floorboards
ready for the vinyl. Question though, when brining and especially
changing the flooring type at a doorway, where do you make the
transition? I'm guessing, ideally it would be under the door itself
(so it's not seen from the inside or outside when the door is closed)
but if so, is it really as simple as that?

ie, I'm not sure how you would take say a vinyl over 6mm ply in a
bathroom into say a carpet on the landing? Are their specific joining
strips for all the different combinations and are they all narrower
than the thickness of a standard internal door?

Who would stock a good section of the things please?

Cheers, T i m

Under or to one edge of the door - either works.

With a bathroom, I would put a threshold strip in to stop water running into
the carpet when washing the floor.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:19:28 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

ie, I'm not sure how you would take say a vinyl over 6mm ply in a
bathroom into say a carpet on the landing? Are their specific joining
strips for all the different combinations and are they all narrower
than the thickness of a standard internal door?

Who would stock a good section of the things please?

Under or to one edge of the door - either works.

Ah, ok, thanks.

With a bathroom, I would put a threshold strip in to stop water running into
the carpet when washing the floor.

That was the Google clue I was looking for (transition strip), loads
of options. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to finish off Mums bathroom (CH modified and all working
now) and am doing the unfinished half of the 6mm ply_over_floorboards
ready for the vinyl. Question though, when brining and especially
changing the flooring type at a doorway, where do you make the
transition? I'm guessing, ideally it would be under the door itself
(so it's not seen from the inside or outside when the door is closed)
but if so, is it really as simple as that?

ie, I'm not sure how you would take say a vinyl over 6mm ply in a
bathroom into say a carpet on the landing? Are their specific joining
strips for all the different combinations and are they all narrower
than the thickness of a standard internal door?

Who would stock a good section of the things please?

Cheers, T i m

Make a threshold strip.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 08:56, T i m wrote:

ie, I'm not sure how you would take say a vinyl over 6mm ply in a
bathroom into say a carpet on the landing? Are their specific joining
strips for all the different combinations and are they all narrower
than the thickness of a standard internal door?

You can get appropriate strips to do most transitions. Ply + vinyl is
not going to be dissimilar to carpet + underlay in thickness.

Who would stock a good section of the things please?

Any DIY shed should have what you need.

--
Cheers,

John.