Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 28mm vs 38mm worktop.

Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to using 28mm worktop instead of 38mm, other than appearance? Does it get dangerously flimsy where it has been cut out around the sink?

Thanks

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to using 28mm worktop instead of 38mm, other than appearance? Does it get dangerously flimsy where it has been cut out around the sink?

No.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to using
28mm worktop instead of 38mm, other than appearance? Does it
get dangerously flimsy where it has been cut out around the
sink?

Thanks

Brendan.

It all depends on what's underneath of course and how its
supported and the material used, but all other things being
equal the other main advantage of the 38mm thickness is that
its more likely to sound more solid when encountering something
hard, a cup , a bowl, knife handle etc. As against the 28mm sounding
slightly hollow in similar circumstances. As with people paying
extra for cars whose doors sound more solid by making the right
noise when being closed, the same can apply to worktops.
Whether anyone notices the difference after a couple of
weeks of use is another question.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to using
28mm worktop instead of 38mm, other than appearance? Does it
get dangerously flimsy where it has been cut out around the
sink?

Thanks

Brendan.

The main advantage is the much wider choice of patterns & colours
available in 38mm. Wickes for example have about a dozen styles in
38mm, but only two in 28mm.

Benefit of 28mm is that you can buy 2 metre lengths instead of 3 metre,
depending on the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to using
28mm worktop instead of 38mm, other than appearance? Does it
get dangerously flimsy where it has been cut out around the
sink?

Thanks

Brendan.

The main advantage is the much wider choice of patterns & colours
available in 38mm. Wickes for example have about a dozen styles in
38mm, but only two in 28mm.

Benefit of 28mm is that you can buy 2 metre lengths instead of 3 metre,
depending on the job.

and other advantages of 28mm are its significantly cheaper andcan just lift
a 3m long board.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

38mm MDF screw/pilot holes size recomendations pls Mr Sandman[_3_] UK diy 27 May 16th 12 11:29 AM
fun with 38mm od pipe sm_jamieson UK diy 6 November 10th 10 05:38 PM
Traps: 38mm vs 76mm mike[_7_] UK diy 1 July 5th 09 05:09 PM
ACL Lifestyle 28mm [email protected] UK diy 2 November 7th 06 10:19 PM
22m or 28mm ? Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk UK diy 3 February 8th 05 08:51 PM