Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Emulsion paint on bakelite

One of the original features in my place is a series of servants' bells in the main room that sound in the
kitchen. Naturally not a feature that impresses SWMBO, and they've never worked in the sense that the
bell might sound but it never seems to result in a fresh beer ;-(
Anyway...the pushes are (very old) bakelite, by the look of it and they're covered in geological layers of
emulsion paint, which could do with stripping off, especially as one has been hanging loose since the
living room was replastered, so needs to be opened and screwed back onto the wall.

I'm sort of resigned to this being a matter of some very careful scraping (which could be a long job), so I
thought I'd see if anyone had any bright ideas for getting this off more easily and less (potentially)
destructively.
Any suggestions chaps? (Which includes chapesses, naturally!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), GMM
wrote:

[...]

Soak them for a day in soapy water to soften the emulsion.

You can polish them to restore the surface with brasso of better,
solvol autosol.

Caution using chemicals as bakelite is a resin based solid and may be
unstable with age.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 20:23:08 UTC+1, GMM wrote:
I'm sort of resigned to this being a matter of some very careful scraping

Usually the best way. Arm yourself with the right scraper first, of something strong enough to go through the paint, but not steel as it will scratch the Bakelite. Mine is made of Perspex offcuts with a sharp edge.

Bakelite will also refinish quite nicely if you use a 3M or Webrax abrasive scourer pad, then polish it with GPO original Paste, Polishing No 5. Autosol chrome polish is an OK substitute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 20:23, GMM wrote:
[...]

I have generally found that Swarfega is pretty effective at softening
emulsion paint enough to come off easily with light pressure and a sharp
plastic tool. No idea if Bakelite will tolerate it though.

Leave for a few hours and then when the paint film is soft it will come
off pretty easily - sometimes a fingernail is good enough.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Dishwasher detergent (which is not a million miles from some
types of paint stripper) dissolves bakelite, I discovered.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:06:23 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

[...]

So I'd better not put it in the dishwasher then :-)

I'm getting the general impression that scraping is going to be the way to go!
Of course, I'm only assuming it's bakelite: It's not metallic, wooden, ceramic etc but I suppose it could
be some even more ancient precursor of bakelite. Of course, that's likely to b even more fragile...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ericp ericp writes:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), GMM

Anyway...the pushes are (very old) bakelite, by the look of it and they're covered in geological layers of
emulsion paint, which could do with stripping off, especially as one has been hanging loose since the

I'm getting the general impression that scraping is going to be the way to go!

No no no. Just soak the paint for a day, and it should wipe off. You don't want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

Of course, I'm only assuming it's bakelite: It's not metallic, wooden, ceramic etc but I suppose it could
be some even more ancient precursor of bakelite. Of course, that's likely to b even more fragile...

Bakelite's plastic precursors saw relatively little use, so its unlikely.

Bakelite has one big vulnerability though: it often breaks very easily indeed. Be most cautious when it comes to screwing it back in place, don't even begin to tighten the screws beyond the point where the bakelite stops moving freely. If you can safely soak it in situ I would, perhaps with cloth wraps and clingfilm.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Ericp ericp writes:

[...]

But soak it with what - water? If that worked (and the deeper coats may well be good old-fashioned emulsion rather than vinyl) I'd be very happy to make it easier.

Has to be in situ as I can't disconnect until I can unscrew it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2012 20:50, GMM wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:42:48 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:38:19 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:06:23 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In ,

Ericpericp writes:

[...]

Nitromors?

Maybe have a read he

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32712

(And that might be the old version...)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:53:48 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
On 17/10/2012 20:50, GMM wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:42:48 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:38:19 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:06:23 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

In ,

Ericpericp writes:

[...]

Very interesting Rod - may be time for a careful experiment !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:50:11 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:42:48 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:38:19 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:

No no no. Just soak the paint for a day, and it should wipe off. You don't want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

But soak it with what - water? If that worked (and the deeper coats may well be good old-fashioned emulsion rather than vinyl) I'd be very happy to make it easier.

Has to be in situ as I can't disconnect until I can unscrew it!

I used water with a little ecover, and the emulsion all wiped off

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:07:37 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:50:11 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:42:48 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:38:19 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:

No no no. Just soak the paint for a day, and it should wipe off. You don't want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

But soak it with what - water? If that worked (and the deeper coats may well be good old-fashioned emulsion rather than vinyl) I'd be very happy to make it easier.

Has to be in situ as I can't disconnect until I can unscrew it!

I used water with a little ecover, and the emulsion all wiped off

NT

Sounds simple enough to try, at least on a small patch, and see if it works for this.
Cheers

Emulsion paint soup UK diy 5 September 29th 09 12:16 AM
Putting emulsion on paint [email protected] UK diy 6 January 15th 08 08:43 PM
Microporous Emulsion Paint Vortex UK diy 2 September 16th 07 10:37 PM
Emulsion paint on top of gloss? Mark UK diy 2 April 22nd 06 01:31 PM
Nitromors & emulsion paint Woody UK diy 2 September 26th 05 03:17 PM