Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher RCD trip

Yesterday I woke up in the morning to find the ring mains all dead. A
process of elimination showed the fault to be the dishwasher, even when its
programmer dial and front-panel switch were at the off position - which
they'd been in since the machine was last used around a day earlier.

There was no fault with the 13A socket itself (it worked fine with something
else plugged into it).

Google suggested the fault might be in the dishwasher's mains RF suppression
capacitor, so I got the dishwasher out from under the worktop, and explored
it until I found the relevant wiring.

By then the machine was tipped up, for easy access, and because there's not
much working space in the kitchen at that point I had the dishwasher plugged
in (when needed) to a 13A extension cord running to a more convenient 13A
socket.

I couldn't then replicate the RCD trip. I also checked the wiring loom from
machine's body to door, and the water heater though I didn't think either
were likely to be the cause on a machine with switched off controller and
power switch (unless they were faulty too). I tried a bucket of water
tipped into the machine over the element as well. Still no RCD trip.

Hmmm. Surely it couldn't be a problem in the plug? But it was. There was a
cremated caterpillar, about 1/4" long between the earth pin and the nearest
edge of the fuse holder.

So, I feel like a fool for not checking the plug much earlier, but I also
feel some sense of victory for avoiding a call-out fee to a local repair
person whom I'm not convinced would have found the problem either.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts scribeth
thus
[...]

Look on the bright side your OK .. the Caterpillar bought it;(...

And as an additional bonus .. no repair call out fee...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
[...]

Its the Underground Resistance! Bloody sabouteurs!

So, I feel like a fool for not checking the plug much earlier, but I also
feel some sense of victory for avoiding a call-out fee to a local repair
person whom I'm not convinced would have found the problem either.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:29:58 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
wrote:

[...]

I had something similar in the junction box that serves as a wiring
centre for my central heating. In my case it was a chain of ants
bridging live and earth.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

I had something similar in the junction box that serves as a wiring
centre for my central heating. In my case it was a chain of ants
bridging live and earth.

I had it with a slug that had climbed up the flexi from below the floor
into the back of a 13A socket.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

MM's black worms,must get around a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you think it felt anything?

Brian

Email:

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
in message nvalid...
[...]

replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
escribió:

Hmmm. Surely it couldn't be a problem in the plug? But it was. There was a
cremated caterpillar, about 1/4" long between the earth pin and the nearest
edge of the fuse holder.

Wonder what the resistance of a charred caterpillar is? :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:52:19 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
escribió:

Hmmm. Surely it couldn't be a problem in the plug? But it was. There was a
cremated caterpillar, about 1/4" long between the earth pin and the nearest
edge of the fuse holder.

Wonder what the resistance of a charred caterpillar is? :-)

My ants bridged the terminals in an arc, and I fancy if the current
wasn't limited to 30mA they would have glowed like an old carbon
filament lamp.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:

MM's black worms,must get around a bit.

I thought of them, as soon as I found the victim.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2012 14:26, Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:52:19 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
escribió:

Hmmm. Surely it couldn't be a problem in the plug? But it was. There was a
cremated caterpillar, about 1/4" long between the earth pin and the nearest
edge of the fuse holder.

Wonder what the resistance of a charred caterpillar is? :-)

My ants bridged the terminals in an arc, and I fancy if the current
wasn't limited to 30mA they would have glowed like an old carbon
filament lamp.

The current isn't limited to 30mA ;-)

(an RCD has no ability to limit current, only the duration of connection
when the current imbalance exceeds its threshold)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts writes:
Yesterday I woke up in the morning to find the ring mains all dead. A
process of elimination showed the fault to be the dishwasher, even when its
programmer dial and front-panel switch were at the off position - which
they'd been in since the machine was last used around a day earlier.

Very often caused by the interference suppressor connected straight
across the mains inlet. When you open up the back of a dishwasher
for some other reason, it's not uncommon to find the suppressor
has blown up at some time in the past (often without taking out any
fuses or anyone noticing).

Given the large number of machines in use which no longer have them
working, I would just remove it (safely).

--
Andrew Gabriel

OT? New Zealand trip Bob Minchin[_4_] UK diy 51 October 31st 11 04:45 AM
Trip to the sawmill C & S Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 April 14th 08 12:07 AM
elcb trip [email protected] UK diy 2 January 16th 07 08:01 AM
trip to NYC turner fran Woodturning 4 June 14th 05 09:41 PM
MCB trip keith UK diy 2 December 31st 04 01:56 PM