Junior Member

Default A solution for doorbells you can't hear?

Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem: doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3 modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo" doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/10/2012 19:20, biz123 wrote:
Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3
modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo"
doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.

We have several people in our house. Would it send a photo to all of us,
or would it use location data to decide which one?

Will it have a remote unlock feature, so I can let people in even if I'm
in bed/on the loo?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2012 19:20, biz123 wrote:
Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3
modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo"
doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...e-Rook-13.html

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
biz123 wrote:
Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone.

If you can't hear the doorbell, why would you hear the phone?

BTW, rather cheaper to fit a more powerful doorbell...

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
biz123 wrote:
Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone.

If you can't hear the doorbell, why would you hear the phone?

Deaf people have vibrating phone pressed up against their genitals in a
trouser pocket.

BTW, rather cheaper to fit a more powerful doorbell...

Or a flashing light...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"biz123" wrote in message

Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3
modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo"
doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.

I presume you're intending to use SMS to send the notification to your
phone? Are you aware that SMS is neither reliable nor timely? An SMS
message might never arrive or, as it quite common around here, arrive a
couple of hours after being sent. Even the Mormons won't stand on the
doorstep for that long ;-).

The question to ask is why you can't hear the bell. Year ago my grandad
extended the cable and had a second bell outside the back door so being in
the garden didn't stop him hearing the bell. And if you're going wireless
(and did you know there are "traditional button to wireless transmitters"
available if you don't want a hideous plastic blob outside your door?), why
no just buy multiple receivers to provide coverage around the house?

OTOH you could go all "spooky" and wire it to the lighting circuits so that
all the lights flash when someone rings :-).

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2012 08:32, Paul D Smith wrote:
"biz123" wrote in message

[...]

Glad you wrote that about SMS. Obviously also true for email. Saves me
doing so.

An SMS to identify that someone did try is a good idea.

But for anything more, making the bell-push a phone seems the way to go.
At least there is then a possiiblity of speaking - with all the usual
provisos about being in range, etc.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-11, Paul D Smith wrote:

And if you're going wireless
(and did you know there are "traditional button to wireless transmitters"
available if you don't want a hideous plastic blob outside your door?), why
no just buy multiple receivers to provide coverage around the house?

Which is what I did.

I've only got the one wireless receiver, plus the original bell the
transmitter is wired to. It does have a flashing light for deaf users,
so that's already a solved problem. It's not terribly reliable though.

Something that integrates with house wifi and alerts an app on your phone
so you can look at a networked camera isn't a totally daft idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glad you wrote that about SMS. Obviously also true for email. Saves me
doing so.

An SMS to identify that someone did try is a good idea.

But for anything more, making the bell-push a phone seems the way to go.
At least there is then a possiiblity of speaking - with all the usual
provisos about being in range, etc.

I have setup an SMS to my phone when someone presses the doorbell. I've
considered also emailling a photo but not found time to play further.
My setup uses an X10 transmitter on the doorbell switch, X10 sounders in
the house and garage on that channel, and the HA computer sends an email
to an email-to-sms gateway account when that X10 ID is recieved.

Usually the SMS comes through within a few seconds of the button being
pressed, but I have had it take ages (like an hour!).

I find it useful when in the garden and can't hear the door.
Even better would be a phone app to show the photo and open a 2-way
audio conversation, so if it's say a courier I can ask them to leave the
item elsewhere etc.
One day...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
biz123 wrote:
Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone.

If you can't hear the doorbell, why would you hear the phone?

Deaf people have vibrating phone pressed up against their genitals in a
trouser pocket.

Sounds fun. But if they are so deaf they can only feel vibration, how do
they use the phone?

BTW, rather cheaper to fit a more powerful doorbell...

Or a flashing light...

Need a few of those too...

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Alan Braggins
On 2012-10-11, Paul D Smith wrote:

And if you're going wireless (and did you know there are
"traditional button to wireless transmitters" available if you don't
want a hideous plastic blob outside your door?), why no just buy
multiple receivers to provide coverage around the house?

Which is what I did.

I've only got the one wireless receiver, plus the original bell the
transmitter is wired to. It does have a flashing light for deaf users,
so that's already a solved problem. It's not terribly reliable though.

Something that integrates with house wifi and alerts an app on your
phone so you can look at a networked camera isn't a totally daft idea.

It sounds to me like a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist.

There is no reason to just fit one cheap and nasty wireless doorbell.
There are all sorts of sounders available with a much higher audio output
- or simply use multiple doorbells. A much simpler and more reliable
solution than sending any sort of signal to your phone.

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2012 19:20, biz123 wrote:
Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3
modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo"
doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.

Already been done:

http://www.mobotix.com/eng_GB/Produc...or-Station-T24

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:07:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://youtu.be/L7L3iSZsNpY

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:38:54 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Glad you wrote that about SMS. Obviously also true for email.

Not if you're running a local email server!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2012 15:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:38:54 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Glad you wrote that about SMS. Obviously also true for email.

Not if you're running a local email server!

It might be if the email has to go elsewhere than within the house,
though. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2012 19:20, biz123 wrote:
Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

Shoot the dog.

From
http://www.dogforums.com/dog-trainin...ng-dog-go.html

"Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells that make your dog go crazy."

It's a DIY banter poster, what a suprise....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
biz123 wrote:
Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem:
doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of
who is at the door directly to your phone.

If you can't hear the doorbell, why would you hear the phone?

Deaf people have vibrating phone pressed up against their genitals in a
trouser pocket.

Sounds fun. But if they are so deaf they can only feel vibration, how do
they use the phone?

Presumably, they could lip read or sign if it is a video call.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Sounds fun. But if they are so deaf they can only feel vibration, how
do they use the phone?

Presumably, they could lip read or sign if it is a video call.

Sign while holding the phone? ;-)

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Sounds fun. But if they are so deaf they can only feel vibration, how
do they use the phone?

Presumably, they could lip read or sign if it is a video call.

Sign while holding the phone? ;-)

You might need somewhere to prop up the phone if using British Sign
Language, but the vast majority of sign languages use a one hand finger
spelling system.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Sounds fun. But if they are so deaf they can only feel
vibration, how do they use the phone?

Presumably, they could lip read or sign if it is a video call.

Sign while holding the phone? ;-)

You might need somewhere to prop up the phone if using British Sign
Language, but the vast majority of sign languages use a one hand
finger spelling system.

A problem that a clever dick could not overcome.

--
Adam

Wired doorbells larkim UK diy 42 October 6th 12 06:26 PM
Doorbells - what is it Jethro_uk[_2_] UK diy 129 July 9th 12 02:54 AM
"Do yo hear what I hear?" was Recession is a given. Can we avoid a Bush Depression? Larry Jaques Metalworking 1 April 3rd 08 04:02 AM