Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] What a fat lump of bloatedness

Tim Watts wrote:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that is.

Just done a clean install on VMWare Player for testing, and it's just had
8.1GB of disk (that's actual consumption on a sparse disk file). Fresh
install, not even patched it yet. No apps.

The linux host it runs on (my laptop) only had 6.6GB in use for the OS and
that is rammed solid with apps.

I was genuinely surprised - what the hell is it wasting all that space on?

So glad my day job is 99% linux...

God almighty - half way through the patching and it's jumped to 17GB!

Which is a bit of a PITA as I want to clone this several times...

Hmm - tempted to try XP.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that is.

Just done a clean install on VMWare Player for testing, and it's just had
8.1GB of disk (that's actual consumption on a sparse disk file). Fresh
install, not even patched it yet. No apps.

The linux host it runs on (my laptop) only had 6.6GB in use for the OS and
that is rammed solid with apps.

I was genuinely surprised - what the hell is it wasting all that space on?

So glad my day job is 99% linux...

God almighty - half way through the patching and it's jumped to 17GB!

Which is a bit of a PITA as I want to clone this several times...

Hmm - tempted to try XP.

What are you testing? Some programs that work under XP don't work under
Windows 7. I've yet to meet any that work under 7 and not under XP, though.

The increase in image size while patching is due to the way that Windows
update keeps an uncompressed backup copy of the previous file versions.
These can safely be removed once you are up to date, giving you a much
smaller image, with the only gotcha being that you can no longer
uninstall patches.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

What are you testing? Some programs that work under XP don't work under
Windows 7. I've yet to meet any that work under 7 and not under XP,
though.

TurboFloorPlan. You are right - supports XP. I'm actually waiting for the
next version due out anytime soon - but it will be based of CadSoft's
Envisioneer and the just released new version still supports XP.

The increase in image size while patching is due to the way that Windows
update keeps an uncompressed backup copy of the previous file versions.
These can safely be removed once you are up to date, giving you a much
smaller image, with the only gotcha being that you can no longer
uninstall patches.

I thought I'd just turned of the system protection and file backups thingy -
but perhaps it does not affect the patching process???

XP installing - virtual disk currently at 1.1GB

Strewth - what a difference. God knows what Windows 8 will be like.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2012 21:47, Tim Watts wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

[...]

I have a number of VMs:

W8 - 12 GB
Ubuntu - 3.8 GB
Android - 520 MB

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

I thought I'd just turned of the system protection and file backups thingy -
but perhaps it does not affect the patching process???

It doesn't. Look in the %windir% directory, you'll see loads of
$NtUninstallKBnnnnnnn$ type directories. Those are the patch roll-back
files.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2012 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that is.

Just done a clean install on VMWare Player for testing, and it's just had
8.1GB of disk (that's actual consumption on a sparse disk file). Fresh
install, not even patched it yet. No apps.

The linux host it runs on (my laptop) only had 6.6GB in use for the OS and
that is rammed solid with apps.

I was genuinely surprised - what the hell is it wasting all that space on?

So glad my day job is 99% linux...

God almighty - half way through the patching and it's jumped to 17GB!

It keeps all the "undo" capability to back out each patch...

You can prune that once patched.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2012 21:28, John Williamson wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Hmm - tempted to try XP.

What are you testing? Some programs that work under XP don't work under
Windows 7. I've yet to meet any that work under 7 and not under XP, though.

The only program I know of which won't run under XP and needs Vista or 7
is er.... Internet Explorer 9 !

Tim w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Hmm - tempted to try XP.

What are you testing? Some programs that work under XP don't work under
Windows 7. I've yet to meet any that work under 7 and not under XP,
though.

The only program I know of which won't run under XP and needs Vista or 7
is er.... Internet Explorer 9 !

Battlefield Bad Company 3

--
Cheers,

John.

[OT] What a fat lump of bloatedness RJH UK diy 0 October 9th 12 09:14 PM
Do I Need A Lump Hammer For A Potterton EP200 the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 3 June 3rd 10 04:29 PM
lump under carpet Fred UK diy 6 March 22nd 08 11:08 AM
Cable management advise - can't just lump them all together? MiamiCuse Home Repair 5 December 6th 05 03:24 AM
Huge lump in kitchen flooring Abe Home Repair 4 December 21st 04 06:28 PM