UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,053
Default Is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" any good - or alternatives?

I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar
repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort
of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?

I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy
to use.

--
Chris Green
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 488
Default Is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" any good - or alternatives?

On Monday, October 1, 2012 11:32:49 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar

repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort

of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?



I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy

to use.



--

Chris Green


It seems to be very good to me. It may seem expensive but a little bit can go a long way. In fact, given
how sticky it is, it has a tendency to go to all sorts of places you don't want it to(!), so take care when
mixing etc.
You have to get pretty organised with it though as it goes off very quickly (10 mins or so).
On the plus side, it bonds to the wood well and is easy to sand and paint once set.
I suspect that all the alternatives are pretty much the same thing (unless anyone here knows better) so
would buy on cost and convenience in future.
  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 91
Default Is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" any good - or alternatives?

On Monday, 1 October 2012 12:38:04 UTC+1, GMM wrote:
On Monday, October 1, 2012 11:32:49 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:

I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar




repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort




of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?








I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy




to use.








--




Chris Green




It seems to be very good to me. It may seem expensive but a little bit can go a long way. In fact, given

how sticky it is, it has a tendency to go to all sorts of places you don't want it to(!), so take care when

mixing etc.

You have to get pretty organised with it though as it goes off very quickly (10 mins or so).

On the plus side, it bonds to the wood well and is easy to sand and paint once set.

I suspect that all the alternatives are pretty much the same thing (unless anyone here knows better) so

would buy on cost and convenience in future.


Works well for me too. The only problem I've had is lifting when water gets under the edge of a shallow fill, but that's not really Ronseal's fault.

Use rot killer and wood hardener on the good(ish) wood beneath.

If you're filling a deep hole, embed bits of scrap wood to save cost.

Does anyone understand how the Ronseal hardener works? I have difficulty understanding how the small amount of kneading I am able to do before it sets makes that little strip permeate the whole mass. Some sort of chain reaction?

Chris
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" any good - or alternatives?

In article ,
wrote:
I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar
repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort
of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?


I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy
to use.


Car body filler. Much the same thing but cheaper.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" any good - or alternatives?

In article ,
wrote:
Does anyone understand how the Ronseal hardener works? I have difficulty
understanding how the small amount of kneading I am able to do before it
sets makes that little strip permeate the whole mass. Some sort of chain
reaction?


I've only tried it once - on a Magnet window sill which had a patch of
rot. Dug out what I could and used the hardener. Then their filler. It
came loose a couple of years later - although a sill is probably the
biggest challenge. To be perfectly honest cutting out the rot and letting
in new wood is not only cheaper but doesn't take that much longer. And
lasts at least as well. ;-)

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler Keefiedee UK diy 25 June 6th 10 09:23 PM
"Oland", "Schmoland" One "Inserted Bit" tool is as good as another. Arch Woodturning 18 February 14th 10 04:38 AM
Wood Filler - Any Suggestions TIA "P9160076.JPG" (3/3) yEnc 1023964 Bytes Rumpty Woodworking 2 September 19th 06 04:46 PM
Wood Filler - Any Suggestions TIA "P9160076.JPG" (1/3) yEnc 1023964 Bytes Don Fearn Woodworking 0 September 17th 06 10:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"