Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" any good - or alternatives?

I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar
repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort
of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?

I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy
to use.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Monday, October 1, 2012 11:32:49 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar

repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort

of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?

I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy

to use.

--

Chris Green

It seems to be very good to me. It may seem expensive but a little bit can go a long way. In fact, given
how sticky it is, it has a tendency to go to all sorts of places you don't want it to(!), so take care when
mixing etc.
You have to get pretty organised with it though as it goes off very quickly (10 mins or so).
On the plus side, it bonds to the wood well and is easy to sand and paint once set.
I suspect that all the alternatives are pretty much the same thing (unless anyone here knows better) so
would buy on cost and convenience in future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 October 2012 12:38:04 UTC+1, GMM wrote:
[...]

Works well for me too. The only problem I've had is lifting when water gets under the edge of a shallow fill, but that's not really Ronseal's fault.

Use rot killer and wood hardener on the good(ish) wood beneath.

If you're filling a deep hole, embed bits of scrap wood to save cost.

Does anyone understand how the Ronseal hardener works? I have difficulty understanding how the small amount of kneading I am able to do before it sets makes that little strip permeate the whole mass. Some sort of chain reaction?

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I need to make some window cills look better (and various similar
repairs), is "Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler" good for this sort
of job or are there better (cheaper?) alternatives?

I don't need anything particularly strong, just weatherproof and easy
to use.

Car body filler. Much the same thing but cheaper.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Does anyone understand how the Ronseal hardener works? I have difficulty
understanding how the small amount of kneading I am able to do before it
sets makes that little strip permeate the whole mass. Some sort of chain
reaction?

I've only tried it once - on a Magnet window sill which had a patch of
rot. Dug out what I could and used the hardener. Then their filler. It
came loose a couple of years later - although a sill is probably the
biggest challenge. To be perfectly honest cutting out the rot and letting
in new wood is not only cheaper but doesn't take that much longer. And
lasts at least as well. ;-)

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *