Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cable insulation stripping

Having done just a small amount of electrical wiring recently, especially wiring up light switches etc, I realised it was a right pain stripping the insulation off.
I cut the TWE outer sheath longitudinally with a small pair of pointed scissors, which do a good job without risking damaging the wires inside, but it is not ideal and you can stab your fingers if you are not careful.
Then stripping the conductors, I have one of those strippers with two V's that form a diamond and that you adjust with a screw and then twist on the cable and pull. But when there is only a couple of inches of cable its suprisingly difficult to hold the wire firmly while you pull the stripping tool. And the side of my finger was becoming sore from gripping the wire.
Then you have to readjust for different size wires, and if you get it wrong you can nick the wire.
So I was wondering what tools the pro electrions use to do these jobs ?
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson writes:

Having done just a small amount of electrical wiring recently,
especially wiring up light switches etc, I realised it was a
right pain stripping the insulation off.

I cut the TWE outer sheath longitudinally with a small pair of
pointed scissors, which do a good job without risking damaging
the wires inside, but it is not ideal and you can stab your
fingers if you are not careful.

Then stripping the conductors, [...]

Then you have to readjust for different size wires, and if you
get it wrong you can nick the wire.

So I was wondering what tools the pro electrions use to do these jobs ?

I dont know about pro electricians, but for pvc insulated
conductors in awkward places I use a pair of smooth jawed
needle-nose pliers and just crush the insulation onto the
conductor (you dont have to press hard enough to squash the
conductor noticably). It splits the insulation in two, and you
can then peel it apart and snip it off with side cutters.

(for non-awkward places I have something similar to these
http://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/w...2awg/dp/290099
with extra blades for the other size range)

--
Jón Fairbairn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking sm_jamieson wrote :
[...]

To get the outer sheath of T&E off, I've always used side cutters to
cut into the middle of the cable, end-on - in other words, inbetween
the live/neutral conductors. Open out the end, grip the earth conductor
with the cutters, fold it back on itself and then pull as far as you
want. This splits the outer sheath and then just use the cutters to cut
it off.

To strip the insulation from the conductors I use the side cutters to
'ring' it and then just pull it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 01:51:46 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I cut the TWE outer sheath longitudinally with a small pair of pointed
scissors, which do a good job without risking damaging the wires
inside, but it is not ideal and you can stab your fingers if you are
not careful.

Decent pair of side snips. Get at the E wire at the end, hold it and pull
to split the insulation to the required point. Open out insulation, snip
each side fold back and snip across the back.

Then stripping the conductors, I have one of those strippers with two
V's that form a diamond and that you adjust with a screw and then twist
on the cable and pull.

JFGI "automatic wire stripper". I have something very similar to the
Draper 55806 rather than the 38275 that uses notched blades.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:53:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My way:-

Cut into the end of the cable with a sharp knife about an inch. Grip the
ECC and pull to one side for the required distance. This slices through
the outer sheath.

+1

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2012 09:51, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CK3942.html?source=adwords&kw=wire+stripper&gclid= COWfxKLg0bICFQMNfAod1kYAkw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:51:46 AM UTC+1, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Having worked with every type of wire stripper known to man, I now use a knife. All strippers work better in some situations, and all are a right time waster in some.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Having worked with every type of wire stripper known to man, I now use a
knife. All strippers work better in some situations, and all are a right
time waster in some.

Well, I've got near every type of stripper, and what you say is true.
However, for 99% of house wiring stuff the type I gave is ideal - and much
better than a knife. If I didn't have it to hand, I'd use wire cutters to
strip the insulation, not a knife.

The only problem with the type I gave is if space is tight. Like, perhaps,
stripping insulation at a ceiling rose with the cables already poking
through. The wire you're stripping needs to be at least 2" clear from
where it exits a hole, etc.

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 10:36*am, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

(for non-awkward places I have something similar to thesehttp://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/wire-stripper-10-22awg/dp/290099
with extra blades for the other size range)

+1

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 03:59:57 -0700, meow2222 wrote:
Having worked with every type of wire stripper known to man, I now use a
knife.

Yes, me too. For the outer sheath I bend the wire slightly and hold it
before making a cut, and the insulation splits right along the cut;
repeat on the reverse side followed by a couple of gentle cuts left and
right. For the inner cables it's just a case of spinning the blade
around the cable with light pressure so as to cut the insulation, but not
quite all the way through to the metal.

I do have a set of these:

http://www.rapidonline.com/catalogue...-0334P01WL.jpg

.... which were about the best style I found to do the job (on single
wires) with a tool; the other types I've tried have been utterly useless.
Those are stuck in storage overseas though and I just never have quite
got around to buying a replacement.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

The 2 best tools I have are an automatic T+E stripper that can take the
sheath off anything upto 2.5mm2 and a pair of good sidecutters with notches
for 1.5 and 2.5 conductor stripping. Latter is a bit woofty but saves time
and avoids nicking the copper. The former is a huge effort saver.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Sep 25, 10:36 am, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

(for non-awkward places I have something similar to thesehttp://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/wire-stripper-10-22awg/dp/290099
with extra blades for the other size range)

+1

Yup - that's exactly what I have, even down to the colour. By far and away
my favourite wire strippers. Far less effort and never any damage to
insulation or conductor(s).

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:13:28 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

As above, the automatic ones shown by Jon Fairbairn
http://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/w...2awg/dp/290099 are
the bees-knees for where you have access and some 2" of free end. They
were used by the 'wiremen' for assembling military and space equipment
where I worked.

I also have a different kind that I disdained until last night when I
was rewiring a very awkward central heating box at the back of a
cupboard with less than an inch of free cable. I've had these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOMATIC-...-/120985648762
Parrot Strippers in my toolbox for years and never used them - I thought
they were cheap crap - but they turned out to be very good for this as
they approach the cable end-on and will work so long as you have access
to 1/2" of cable. They have tension adjuster for different diameters
(knurled screw at the back in the photo). They have no branding but are
identical to this photo.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

As an electronic engineer I have a permanent slot in my front teeth, and
the ability to strip insulation with sidecutters as well. :0

Those parrots are if well made VERY good.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yeah I were one of 'em an all in an earlier incarnation, and can do the
side-cutter trick too, and slice mains cable outers, lengthwise, without
snicking the inners. Tend to bottle it when it comes to front teeth
though. I bet you know how to straighten kinked wires too, and make
twisted pairs with a wheel-brace. :O

Those parrots are if well made VERY good.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
As an electronic engineer I have a permanent slot in my front teeth,
and the ability to strip insulation with sidecutters as well. :0

I had to check that I hadn't written that comment

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

a pair of good sidecutters with notches
for 1.5 and 2.5 conductor stripping.

I have a cracking little pair of stainless sprung-loaded side cutters
that years ago got used to cut something too hard and got a chip taken
out of one jaw. The nick is the perfect size for stripping 2.5mm and
does 1.5mm most of the time.
Other than those, I use a Snap-On multitool, one of the ****e crimper
designs, but it's never used as a crimper, just the stripping jaws and
it's great for its purpose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As an electronic engineer I have a permanent slot in my front teeth,

I still have, from decades ago. In recent years, it's got a bit tender
and since in the past I've fexked up a couple of repair attempts by
absently stripping wire and undoing the dentist's work, I've decided
to avoid that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/w...g/dp/290099are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOMATIC-...OT-TYPE-JAW-/1...
Parrot Strippers in my toolbox for years and never used them - I thought
they were cheap crap - but they turned out to be very good for this as
they approach the cable end-on and will work so long as you have access
to 1/2" of cable. They have tension adjuster for different diameters
(knurled screw at the back in the photo). They have no branding but are
identical to this photo.

Phil

As an electronic engineer I have a permanent slot in my front teeth,

LOL, I had a fron tooth crowned and lost the ability to strip with it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
As an electronic engineer I have a permanent slot in my front teeth,

LOL, I had a fron tooth crowned and lost the ability to strip with it.

Could be why that's the reason it needed a crown. ;-)

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:36:22 +0100, Jon Fairbairn
wrote:

I don’t know about pro electricians, but for pvc insulated
conductors in awkward places I use a pair of smooth jawed
needle-nose pliers and just crush the insulation onto the
conductor (you don’t have to press hard enough to squash the
conductor noticably). It splits the insulation in two, and you
can then peel it apart and snip it off with side cutters.

(for non-awkward places I have something similar to these
http://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/w...2awg/dp/290099
with extra blades for the other size range)

I use a very old pair of these that RS used to brand as their own (coloured
orange) maybe 30 years old and are now on their 2nd or 3rd set of jaws.

Zero damage to the conductor and quickly adjustable for a wide range of wire
sizes way more than the spec says.

http://uk.farnell.com/abeco/mk1fd/wi...-5mm/dp/440814

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
wrote:

I dont know about pro electricians, but for pvc insulated
conductors in awkward places I use a pair of smooth jawed
needle-nose pliers and just crush the insulation onto the
conductor (you dont have to press hard enough to squash the
conductor noticably). It splits the insulation in two, and you
can then peel it apart and snip it off with side cutters.

(for non-awkward places I have something similar to these
http://uk.farnell.com/ideal/45-092/w...2awg/dp/290099
with extra blades for the other size range)

I use a very old pair of these that RS used to brand as their own (coloured
orange) maybe 30 years old and are now on their 2nd or 3rd set of jaws.

Zero damage to the conductor and quickly adjustable for a wide range of wire
sizes way more than the spec says.

http://uk.farnell.com/abeco/mk1fd/wi...-5mm/dp/440814

Yeah, I've got a pair of those ... somewhere

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:51:37 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Parrot Strippers in my toolbox for years and never used them - I
thought they were cheap crap - but they turned out to be very good for
this as they approach the cable end-on and will work so long as you
have access to 1/2" of cable. They have tension adjuster for different
diameters (knurled screw at the back in the photo). ell. :0

Those parrots are if well made VERY good.

The parrot type are my favourite stripper. Far quicker than faffing about
getting the end into the right slot, just stick it in and squeeze.

Mine a cheap, the blades aren't quite parallel so stranded alarm wires
have to be placed at the right side or it takes some of the cores even
with the lowest tension. But for tough stuff like 1mm T&E and above no
problem.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Mine a cheap, the blades aren't quite parallel so stranded alarm wires
have to be placed at the right side or it takes some of the cores even
with the lowest tension. But for tough stuff like 1mm T&E and above no
problem.

That's a common problem with them. Having to faff about with tension may
be ok on a production line where it's set and left, but not for me. Which
is another reason I like the ones I've recommended. With the standard set
of jaws in mine, it does pretty well all the common cable sizes I use -
house wiring, car and electronic. Of course single strand large house
wiring is the easiest to strip anyway.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups