Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermal/acoustic insulation and cable derating

The OSG talks about cable passing through thermal insulation and its
effect on cable size.

On the latest project I am going I have to put acoustic insulation in
the stud walls and floors.

Is acoustic insulation regarded as the same as thermal insulation in
this case?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
news
The OSG talks about cable passing through thermal insulation and its
effect on cable size.

On the latest project I am going I have to put acoustic insulation in
the stud walls and floors.

Is acoustic insulation regarded as the same as thermal insulation in
this case?

Cheers

Martin

Personally I'd say yes, because both types of insulation hold still air in a
trap. Therefore, derate the cable by around 1.5 - 2 % per 10 mtr length
within the insulation. If the length through the stud is only a couple of
metres or so, then ignore the derating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , BigWallop
writes

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
news
The OSG talks about cable passing through thermal insulation and its
effect on cable size.

On the latest project I am going I have to put acoustic insulation in
the stud walls and floors.

Is acoustic insulation regarded as the same as thermal insulation in
this case?

Cheers

Martin

Personally I'd say yes, because both types of insulation hold still air in a
trap. Therefore, derate the cable by around 1.5 - 2 % per 10 mtr length
within the insulation. If the length through the stud is only a couple of
metres or so, then ignore the derating.

Thanks for that.

As regards the length of cable going through the insulation, presumably
I just need to look at the longest run through any insulation not the
total in all parts of the cable.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yes. If the cable is passing through anything less than 3 mtrs of
insulation, forget the rule. But only if it's one run of up to 3 mtrs of
insulation. Any more insulation on the same run of cable, the whole run of
cable needs to be derated.

An example. If the total cable run is 12 mtrs, of which 2 mtrs are buried
in the insulation. Forget the derating.
If the total run of cable is 15 mtrs, of which 10 mtrs are buried in the
insulation. You have to derate the whole cable run.

Derating lighting cable Staffbull UK diy 3 October 1st 06 02:34 PM
Thermal Insulation Board Griffo UK diy 9 March 2nd 06 01:06 AM
Thermal Insulation Board Griffo UK diy 0 February 28th 06 09:25 PM
Electrical insulation reacts with thermal insulation? David Pearson UK diy 6 May 22nd 05 11:22 PM
Fixing loft boarding *through* insulation and derating cable. Mike Hall UK diy 11 January 9th 04 03:45 PM