Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending the life of exterior ply exposed to rain

The endless carport rebuild approaches the point at which it can be
roofed. Prior to doing so I have to fit the sides where it extends
over garage and rear extension. My plan is to use exterior ply
panels. These will be removable once the carport is roofed to allow
for easy replacement but I want to increase their life as much as
possible. What can I treat the ply with? Any rain which drains off
the treated surface feeds a pond in my back garden and which contains
newts. Therefore I can't use anything that is hazardous to fish etc.
I've looked at Creoseal which (a) doesn't soak into the ply, (b) has a
nasty oily run-off and (c) according to the tin is definitely not fish-
friendly.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJS expressed precisely :
The endless carport rebuild approaches the point at which it can be
roofed. Prior to doing so I have to fit the sides where it extends
over garage and rear extension. My plan is to use exterior ply
panels. These will be removable once the carport is roofed to allow
for easy replacement but I want to increase their life as much as
possible. What can I treat the ply with? Any rain which drains off
the treated surface feeds a pond in my back garden and which contains
newts. Therefore I can't use anything that is hazardous to fish etc.
I've looked at Creoseal which (a) doesn't soak into the ply, (b) has a
nasty oily run-off and (c) according to the tin is definitely not fish-
friendly.

Could you instead use plastic soffit panels? Fit and forget.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 6:02*pm, RJS wrote:
The endless carport rebuild approaches the point at which it can be
roofed. *Prior to doing so I have to fit the sides where it extends
over garage and rear extension. *My plan is to use exterior ply
panels. *These will be removable once the carport is roofed to allow
for easy replacement but I want to increase their life as much as
possible. * What can I treat the ply with? * Any rain which drains off
the treated surface feeds a pond in my back garden and which contains
newts. *Therefore I can't use anything that is hazardous to fish etc.
I've looked at Creoseal which (a) doesn't soak into the ply, (b) has a
nasty oily run-off and (c) according to the tin is definitely not fish-
friendly.

TIA

Richard

Well you can use marine ply but it costs and arm and a leg.
Why don't you use plastic coated steel roof profile. The suppliers cut
it to size for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2012 18:31, harry wrote:
On Sep 23, 6:02 pm, RJS wrote:
[...]

+1, used this for walls and roof of a little lean-to shelter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:02:18 -0700 (PDT), RJS
wrote:

My plan is to use exterior ply
panels. These will be removable once the carport is roofed to allow
for easy replacement but I want to increase their life as much as
possible. What can I treat the ply with?

Nothing. It lasts for absolutely years as it is - provided it's decent
quality in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

wrote:

My plan is to use exterior ply
panels. These will be removable once the carport is roofed to allow
for easy replacement but I want to increase their life as much as
possible. What can I treat the ply with?

Nothing. It lasts for absolutely years as it is - provided it's decent
quality in the first place.

I had an offcut I found in the garden at my old house. I used it a as
temporary cover to the kitchen drain, stop leaves getting in. I never
treated it - still in tip top condition some 6 years later. Amazing stuff.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 18:21, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Could you instead use plastic soffit panels? Fit and forget.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Hadn't thought of those. Possible solution. Thanks.

Will - either temporarily until a better solution is found or
permanently because I will stop looking for one - fit the bits of
exterior ply and monitor their deterioration!

Ta to all.

Richard