Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Extending Shelf Life of Minwax Wood Putty

Stan wrote:
Is there a way/method for extending the shelf life of Minwax Wood
Putty after the jar has been opened? I know that the small jars only
cost less than $3/per but it sure seems a waste to have to buy a new
jar of each color 4 months after each one has been opened and a little
bit used.

IIRC, acetone is the solvent--just add a little extra. (But, double
check first to make sure I'm remembering correctly.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 10:23 pm, Stan wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:31:20 -0500, dpb wrote:
IIRC, acetone is the solvent--just add a little extra. (But, double
check first to make sure I'm remembering correctly.)

They don't give ingredients on the jar (probably because we ain't
going to eat the stuff). It does say that it contains an ingredient
that causes cancer in California?????? Doesn't cause cancer in any
other state?

Anyway, someone in another forum told me to use oil based putty from
The Color Putty Companyhttp://www.colorputty.com/index.htmlwhich
they said they had jars three years old that was still pliable.

I will put a little acetone in the Minwax jars and see if I can revive
them.

Regards,
Stan

try a couple drops of vegetable oil

Posted to alt.home.repair

beecrofter wrote in
oups.com:

On Jul 18, 10:23 pm, Stan wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:31:20 -0500, dpb wrote:
IIRC, acetone is the solvent--just add a little extra. (But, double
check first to make sure I'm remembering correctly.)

They don't give ingredients on the jar (probably because we ain't
going to eat the stuff). It does say that it contains an ingredient
that causes cancer in California?????? Doesn't cause cancer in any
other state?

Anyway, someone in another forum told me to use oil based putty from
The Color Putty Companyhttp://www.colorputty.com/index.htmlwhich
they said they had jars three years old that was still pliable.

I will put a little acetone in the Minwax jars and see if I can revive
them.

Regards,
Stan

try a couple drops of vegetable oil

FIRST,download or obtain a Material Safety Data Sheet(MSDS) for that
product,and it will list the solvent.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:
beecrofter wrote in
oups.com:

On Jul 18, 10:23 pm, Stan wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:31:20 -0500, dpb wrote:
IIRC, acetone is the solvent--just add a little extra. (But, double
check first to make sure I'm remembering correctly.)
They don't give ingredients on the jar (...

try a couple drops of vegetable oil

FIRST,download or obtain a Material Safety Data Sheet(MSDS) for that
product,and it will list the solvent.

Yeah, I guess I should have given directions for how to "check first"
but I think some things ought to not be too hard to figure out...
(Or yet again, should that be a "" ?)