Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange hold in window

Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 16:14, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

cheers

D'oh, I meant "holE" in the title....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

dustie wrote:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Air gun pellet.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Is the hole, as it appears, smaller inside than outside?

Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Air gun pellet.

Hand-grenade shrapnel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:14:21 +0100, dustie wrote:

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Scale? I can't decide if it's less than 1/$ across or a couple of
inches...

Whats that blob centre lower edge and can you get your camera to focus on
what you want it to focus on not what it thinks you want to focus on.

I'd also go for a liitle bit of metal going quite quick.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my
living room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Is the hole, as it appears, smaller inside than outside?

It's the black shirt/suit that scares me

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
dustie wrote:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Air gun pellet.

Certainly some sort of impact. The centre of impact looks to be the
point at the origin of the semi-circular missing section. If that's as
dirty as it looks then I'd guess it was a stone impact. What are the
neighbours and particularly their kids like?

When I've seen an air gun impact it's been a tiny pinhole on the outside
and a scab off the inside about the size of a penny.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange holE in window

Is the hole, as it appears, smaller inside than outside?

it's smaller inside...

On 22/09/2012 16:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Scale? I can't decide if it's less than 1/$ across or a couple of
inches...

It's about an inch and a half in width

Whats that blob centre lower edge and can you get your camera to focus on
what you want it to focus on not what it thinks you want to focus on.

Basically, it looks like melted glass...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:14:21 +0100, dustie wrote:

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

I'd also go for a liitle bit of metal going quite quick.

Like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19683687

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 16:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Whats that blob centre lower edge and can you get your camera to focus on
what you want it to focus on not what it thinks you want to focus on.

Sorry, ignore my last response - the blob-center-lower-edge is a dent -
on the inside...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When this happened to a mate of mines front window he found a small ball
bearing inside the glazed unit. MMMmmmm You might want to look inside
and on the ground beneath the window. What you do then depends on what
you find.

In message , dustie
writes
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

cheers

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:14:21 +0100, dustie wrote:
Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Stone or air gun pellet seems most likely, as suggested by others. Sharp
point-impact on the outside surface resulting in a much larger hole from
the reverse side.

Woodpeckers are capable of doing that too, apparently, if they mistake
their reflection as a rival - I had that happen here (and wouldn't have
believed it had it not been for the woodpecker outside the window
immediately following the impact!)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a follow-up to this, I've just found the missing glass inside the
house as pictured he

http://djdust.com/glass.jpg

It came off cleanly with no shattering and has a very small dent in the
centre of it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd second that.

You can see the impact mark of the projectile as a small circular area
at the centre of the circular arc that fell out, and it's the right
size and shape to be an air-gun pellet. The gun was fired from ground
level in the neighbouring garden to the right of the window, or
perhaps the one abutting it in the next row of houses along, which is
why the most damage occurred to the left and above the point of
impact, as the shock wave travelling through the glass from the impact
would have been greatest in that direction. It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:25:56 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Air gun pellet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, there the projectile would have been descending, so the greatest
damage would have been beneath the point of impact. Also, although
I'm not an expert on meteorites, I suspect it would have been
travelling so fast that it would probably have penetrated the window,
and may be even burnt the carpet.

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:51:53 +0100, "Mark" wrote:

Like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19683687

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 17:16, Java Jive wrote:
It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

I've looked both inside and out and can't find a pellet or anything. To
be honest though, my living room is an absolute tip so, if anything did
get inside, it could be anywhere...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , dustie
writes
As a follow-up to this, I've just found the missing glass inside the
house as pictured he

http://djdust.com/glass.jpg

It came off cleanly with no shattering and has a very small dent in the
centre of it...

Keep looking for what may have caused it, a woodpecker should be fairly
obvious, something smaller may take a while longer :-) I hope that you
find the cause and that there is an innocent explanation.

I did have a pigeon crash into a window earlier this year and was quite
surprised it didn't do any damage to the glass. It left a very
interesting mark, you could make out the body shape and wings, looked a
bit like a head on view of a jumbo jet. The pigeon was momentarily not
happy though, it was laying dead beneath the window.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 17:22, Bill wrote:
Keep looking for what may have caused it, a woodpecker should be
fairly obvious, something smaller may take a while longer :-) I hope
that you find the cause and that there is an innocent explanation.

The glass was well over a metre away from the window. Would a woodpecker
cause that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , dustie
writes
On 22/09/2012 17:16, Java Jive wrote:
It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

I've looked both inside and out and can't find a pellet or anything. To
be honest though, my living room is an absolute tip so, if anything did
get inside, it could be anywhere...

A good excuse for a major tidy up!

When my mate, same guy that had the ball bearing through the window, was
broken into, the police commented on the mess and he had to admit that
it was like that before the break in!

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , dustie
writes
On 22/09/2012 17:22, Bill wrote:
Keep looking for what may have caused it, a woodpecker should be
fairly obvious, something smaller may take a while longer :-) I hope
that you find the cause and that there is an innocent explanation.

The glass was well over a metre away from the window. Would a
woodpecker cause that?

No idea, Jules appears to be the expert on those, I'm more into
pigeons..........

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:26:21 +0100, dustie wrote:

On 22/09/2012 17:22, Bill wrote:
Keep looking for what may have caused it, a woodpecker should be fairly
obvious, something smaller may take a while longer :-) I hope that
you find the cause and that there is an innocent explanation.

The glass was well over a metre away from the window. Would a woodpecker
cause that?

I'm not sure, TBH. In my case it was a double-glazed window[1], so the
chip just fell into the space between the panes. Anything which pecks the
glass with enough force to knock a chip out like that is probably capable
of sending it a fair distance though, I suppose.

[1] And in the spring, when I suspect they're more territorial; perhaps
it's something that just wouldn't happen at this time of year.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:28:26 +0100, Bill
wrote:

In message , dustie
writes
On 22/09/2012 17:16, Java Jive wrote:
It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

I've looked both inside and out and can't find a pellet or anything. To
be honest though, my living room is an absolute tip so, if anything did
get inside, it could be anywhere...

A good excuse for a major tidy up!

When my mate, same guy that had the ball bearing through the window, was
broken into, the police commented on the mess and he had to admit that
it was like that before the break in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnmiRPjcAI

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Odell
writes

A good excuse for a major tidy up!

When my mate, same guy that had the ball bearing through the window, was
broken into, the police commented on the mess and he had to admit that
it was like that before the break in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnmiRPjcAI

Nick

That made my mates place look tidy :-)

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:28:59 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:28:26 +0100, Bill
wrote:

In message , dustie
writes
On 22/09/2012 17:16, Java Jive wrote:
It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

I've looked both inside and out and can't find a pellet or anything. To
be honest though, my living room is an absolute tip so, if anything did
get inside, it could be anywhere...

A good excuse for a major tidy up!

When my mate, same guy that had the ball bearing through the window, was
broken into, the police commented on the mess and he had to admit that
it was like that before the break in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnmiRPjcAI

Nick

That only plays half way for ssome reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFPwj...eature=related

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps its a masked aerial installer, tomorrow you will find a wire through
it and silicone sealant around the hole!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"fred" wrote in message news
In article , ARW
writes
dustie wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I think he might have heard a hand grenade, unless it was a noise abatement
one.

Probably doesn't live in Manchester ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:14:21 +0100, dustie wrote:
Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Stone or air gun pellet seems most likely, as suggested by others. Sharp
point-impact on the outside surface resulting in a much larger hole from
the reverse side.

Woodpeckers are capable of doing that too, apparently, if they mistake
their reflection as a rival - I had that happen here (and wouldn't have
believed it had it not been for the woodpecker outside the window
immediately following the impact!)

You didn't stick your finger in the woodpecker's hole, did you?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:51:18 +0100, dustie wrote:

Is the hole, as it appears, smaller inside than outside?

it's smaller inside...

So how did the flake of glass get inside? The phot0 of the flake also
looks curved. Does it fit back into the hole neatly?

It's about an inch and a half in width

That's big...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:51:18 +0100, dustie wrote:

Is the hole, as it appears, smaller inside than outside?

it's smaller inside...

So how did the flake of glass get inside? The phot0 of the flake also
looks curved. Does it fit back into the hole neatly?

It's about an inch and a half in width

That's big...

I've had a smaller version with one of my windows. There was a tiny
(almost pinprick) hole on the outside of the glass, but on the inside it
was around 3/4" diameter. I reckoned it was an airgun pellet, and it had
bounced off.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dustie writes:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Did you or your neighbours do any lawn mowing or striming yesterday?
At the office, we had the gardners take out a full room height
double glazed unit with a stone (toughened glass). Went with one
hell of a bang. Only took out the outside pane though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dustie wrote:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

cheers

Looks like a classic stone chip to me.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dustie
scribeth thus
On 22/09/2012 17:16, Java Jive wrote:
It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

I've looked both inside and out and can't find a pellet or anything. To
be honest though, my living room is an absolute tip so, if anything did
get inside, it could be anywhere...

Don't look like any of the holes I made as a youngster with my trusty
..177 and .22 rifles.

Prolly one of they meteors the other nite ....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:20:22 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

No, there the projectile would have been descending, so the greatest
damage would have been beneath the point of impact.

That I'm inlined to agree with.

Also, although I'm not an expert on meteorites, I suspect it would have
been travelling so fast that it would probably have penetrated the
window, and may be even burnt the carpet.

A tiny/small meteorite, by the time it gets to ground level, has slowed
to it's terminal velocity. Still quite quick and 4" dia lump of rock or
iron will crash through a roof no problem and still be quite hot so a
possible fire risk.

It's only the really big ones that slam into the earth at high speed and
make craters. I'm a bit miffed they didn't tell us that that one was
coming in, I guess they didn't see it coming... they quite often only
spot quite substantial asteroids *after* closest approach. I'd have
expected NORAD or who ever to have said by now if it was a bit of man
made space junk.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dustie wrote:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

It's not melted, nor is it mysterious, it's what happens when an object
harder than glass hits it at speed, IE, someone's hurled a pebble through
your window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:25:43 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , dustie
scribeth thus
On 22/09/2012 17:16, Java Jive wrote:
It might be worth
examining the window ledge or the ground directly beneath it for a
mangled pellet.

It could be a stone, but, unless it was hurled by a very small child,
and therefore didn't have much momentum, I'd've expected a bigger hole
in the glass, and probably you'd've found the stone in your room.

I've looked both inside and out and can't find a pellet or anything. To
be honest though, my living room is an absolute tip so, if anything did
get inside, it could be anywhere...

Don't look like any of the holes I made as a youngster with my trusty
.177 and .22 rifles.

Prolly one of they meteors the other nite ....

....except, if I'm not mistaken (and I usually am mistaken) that's a
north-facing window.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:20:22 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Also, although I'm not an expert on meteorites,

A tiny/small meteorite, by the time it gets to ground level, has slowed
to it's terminal velocity.

except it was not meteorites
"Experts said the sightings could be satellite debris€¯

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 10:23:23 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:20:22 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Also, although I'm not an expert on meteorites,

A tiny/small meteorite, by the time it gets to ground level, has slowed

to it's terminal velocity.

except it was not meteorites

"Experts said the sightings could be satellite debris”

-

Kid with catapult?
Air rifle dings are usually smaller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 16:25, ARW wrote:
dustie wrote:
Hi all

Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living
room window:

http://djdust.com/window.jpg

Haven't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like
something has melted it's way through. Does anyone out there have any
idea how this could have happened..?

Air gun pellet.

+ 1, it isn't melted, it is a classical conchoid fracture

Will it hold? Walter R. Home Repair 7 August 13th 07 07:27 PM
Strange casement window leak jaynews Home Repair 6 October 31st 06 03:56 AM
metal chains/clips to hold up window box Jon UK diy 3 July 15th 05 03:06 PM
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom? Bob Valor Home Repair 5 July 14th 05 07:05 AM