Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Junior Member

Default RCD Keeps tripping on new installation

Hi all.

New member here.

I am a qualified, registered electrician and I have a mojor problem with a new installation and rewiring.

I have rewired 6 new flats and fitted brand new cu's (B&Q £55 ones.. at customer choice!).

Anyway, all rewire and fitting of consumer units of 5 flats are fine... however, the last one... did the rewire, fitted the cu, proceeded to test and the rcd for the kitchen/bathroom is tripping, even though none of the switches are on for the mcb's in the kitchen load of the cu.

The kitchen load comprises of, 3 double sockets, 1 radiator switched spur (RM with sockets), 1 cooker switch and a bathroom wall heater (RM with sockets).

When I remove the earths from the kitchen/bathroom RM, the RCD will stay on, but as soon as I touch either of the RM earth to the earth busbar, it will trip the RCD. Also, I can leave the RM earths in and remove the Neutral RM cables and it will be fine...but as soon as I touch the RM neutral to the busbar, it trips. All connections are fine... to the correct busbars, etc.

I am miffed on this one, and any help would be greatl;y appreciated!

Thanks.

RCD tripping. ARWadsworth UK diy 4 January 11th 11 10:33 PM
rcd tripping Fred UK diy 10 November 25th 10 08:13 PM
rcd tripping Fred UK diy 1 November 6th 10 10:38 AM
RCD Tripping Andy S UK diy 3 July 11th 06 11:21 PM
RCD tripping - really odd! Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 25 March 31st 06 05:52 PM