Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD Keeps tripping on new installation

reeveer wrote:

Hi all.

New member here.

I am a qualified, registered electrician and I have a mojor problem with
a new installation and rewiring.

I have rewired 6 new flats and fitted brand new cu's (B&Q �55 ones.. at
customer choice!).

Anyway, all rewire and fitting of consumer units of 5 flats are fine...
however, the last one... did the rewire, fitted the cu, proceeded to
test and the rcd for the kitchen/bathroom is tripping, even though none
of the switches are on for the mcb's in the kitchen load of the cu.

The kitchen load comprises of, 3 double sockets, 1 radiator switched
spur (RM with sockets), 1 cooker switch and a bathroom wall heater (RM
with sockets).

When I remove the earths from the kitchen/bathroom RM, the RCD will stay
on, but as soon as I touch either of the RM earth to the earth busbar,
it will trip the RCD. Also, I can leave the RM earths in and remove the
Neutral RM cables and it will be fine...but as soon as I touch the RM
neutral to the busbar, it trips. All connections are fine... to the
correct busbars, etc.

I am miffed on this one, and any help would be greatl;y appreciated!

Thanks.

Were the IR tests in spec when you tested the circuit?

Did the RCD test as being in normal parameters in particular did it hold in
on the x1 test?

What happens if you disconnect the fixed appliances?

--
Tim Watts