Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal cover for Cupola centre

One bathroom and the top landing are lit by roof-lights which rise to a box
(one rectangular, one square) which have small pitched roofs. These are
wooden, currently covered in two layers of roof felt ( the square one is a
about 1 foot square, the rectangular is about a foot by 2' 6").

I would like to cover these in metal - they might once have been covered in
lead. Any suggestions of what kind of metal: sheet zinc? or should I go for
lead (I'm a bit edgy about the weight - these are original to the house in
1897)?

Geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Pearson wrote:
One bathroom and the top landing are lit by roof-lights which rise to a
box (one rectangular, one square) which have small pitched roofs. These
are wooden, currently covered in two layers of roof felt ( the square
one is a about 1 foot square, the rectangular is about a foot by 2' 6").

I would like to cover these in metal - they might once have been covered
in lead. Any suggestions of what kind of metal: sheet zinc? or should I
go for lead (I'm a bit edgy about the weight - these are original to the
house in 1897)?

Geoff

a foot square of lead is not that much, but yes, zinc, copper
lead..whatever!

Copper takes some beating - literally.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doesnt copper also stop groth of moss etc as well?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
Geoff Pearson wrote:
One bathroom and the top landing are lit by roof-lights which rise to a
box (one rectangular, one square) which have small pitched roofs. These
are wooden, currently covered in two layers of roof felt ( the square one
is a about 1 foot square, the rectangular is about a foot by 2' 6").

I would like to cover these in metal - they might once have been covered
in lead. Any suggestions of what kind of metal: sheet zinc? or should I
go for lead (I'm a bit edgy about the weight - these are original to the
house in 1897)?

Geoff

a foot square of lead is not that much, but yes, zinc, copper
lead..whatever!

Copper takes some beating - literally.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it has to be 'formed' round lots of things, lead is the easiest. If
something you could pre-fabricate in the workshop, zinc is pretty easy to
work and solder. Copper is nice, but very expensive.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it has to be 'formed' round lots of things, lead is the easiest. If
something you could pre-fabricate in the workshop, zinc is pretty easy to
work and solder. Copper is nice, but very expensive.

An old hot water cylinder might provide enough sheet though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :
Doesnt copper also stop groth of moss etc as well?
Brian

It certainly does and very effective it is too. I put a couple of
stripped 2.5mm T&E wires across my 24' x 12' across my garage roof at
the highest point a couple of years ago. Its a flat/ gently sloping
corrugated roof and the drainage of the sheets was constantly getting
blocked, over flowing the panel joints. The minute trace of copper
cleared it completely and no more ingress.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
If it has to be 'formed' round lots of things, lead is the easiest. If
something you could pre-fabricate in the workshop, zinc is pretty easy to
work and solder. Copper is nice, but very expensive.

An old hot water cylinder might provide enough sheet though?

What a lot of interesting ideas - thanks very much.