Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colour variation in new grout

Our bathroom has been completely refurbished including the laying of
33 square metres of wall and floor tiles. While the general standard
of the work is good the grout on two walls has not dried to an even
colour and in some large areas it is noticeably darker than that on
the other walls and the floor. We have left it for over two weeks but
the problem is still evident. The bathroom fitters say that they have
no idea what has caused the discolouration and have not as yet
suggested a solution.

Grateful for suggestions.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 5:49*pm, rbel wrote:
Our bathroom has been completely refurbished including the laying of
33 square metres of wall and floor tiles. *While the general standard
of the work is good the grout on two walls has not dried to an even
colour and in some large areas it is noticeably darker than that on
the other walls and the floor. *We have left it for over two weeks but
the problem is still evident. *The bathroom fitters say that they have
no idea what has caused the discolouration and have not as yet
suggested a solution.

Grateful for suggestions.
--
rbel

He is f****g you about.
Not your problem, their's. Get them back. Obviously used grout from
different packs/sources.
They will whinge. To fix it properly will be difficult/timeconsuming,
it neeeds raking out, difficult without damaging the tiles.

Or just wait. In a while the fungus will cover all.
Depends how much it worries you/how nasty you are prepared to get with
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 17, 2012 5:49:24 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
Our bathroom has been completely refurbished including the laying of

33 square metres of wall and floor tiles. While the general standard

of the work is good the grout on two walls has not dried to an even

colour and in some large areas it is noticeably darker than that on

the other walls and the floor. We have left it for over two weeks but

the problem is still evident. The bathroom fitters say that they have

no idea what has caused the discolouration and have not as yet

suggested a solution.

What colour is the grout ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 03:56:33 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

On Monday, September 17, 2012 5:49:24 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
Our bathroom has been completely refurbished including the laying of

33 square metres of wall and floor tiles. While the general standard

of the work is good the grout on two walls has not dried to an even

colour and in some large areas it is noticeably darker than that on

the other walls and the floor. We have left it for over two weeks but

the problem is still evident. The bathroom fitters say that they have

no idea what has caused the discolouration and have not as yet

suggested a solution.

What colour is the grout ?

It is a pale cream, almost ivory. The discolouration is varying
shades of grey.

I had a word with the grout manufacturer's tech services people this
morning and they asked me to scrape the surface of a small section of
the discoloured grout which revealed a much lighter surface. Given
this they are certain that it is the cement base brought to the
surface by too much wetting too soon after the grout was applied ie
not sufficient time was allowed by the tilers from grout application
to their initial (and over enthusiastic) cleaning.

They suggest that the tilers should try a 1:1 solution of Lithofin
cement residue remover. In the event that this does not produce an
entirely satisfactory result they recommend the use of one of the
relatively new polymeric grout paints such as
http://www.mapei.com/public/COM/prod...20fesca_gb.pdf as
an alternative to raking the joints out and reapplying the grout.
--
rbel

odd variation in moisture content heteroscedastic Home Repair 3 May 22nd 10 06:36 PM
Resistance variation with thickness N_Cook Electronics Repair 23 December 17th 08 03:48 PM
CH pressure variation fred[_2_] UK diy 5 October 3rd 08 10:08 AM
Blue colour instead of true colour in the monitor - how to fix it? chutney Electronics Repair 0 October 19th 06 02:03 AM
VAriation WARS [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 30th 06 05:01 AM