Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default White fogging on glass

A couple of windows (single glazed sashes) have a thin irregular strip where the glass is white along the bottom edge.

I'm assuming this is the consequence of some over-enthusiastic blow gun stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

Does anyone have a simple fix for this? I've tried rubbing but it seems to be more than superficial.
I'd rather not have to replace the glass at the moment, as they will undergo major surgery inn due course (!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2012 12:16, GMM wrote:
A couple of windows (single glazed sashes) have a thin irregular strip where the glass is white along the bottom edge.

I'm assuming this is the consequence of some over-enthusiastic blow gun stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

Does anyone have a simple fix for this? I've tried rubbing but it seems to be more than superficial.
I'd rather not have to replace the glass at the moment, as they will undergo major surgery inn due course (!)

A picture is worth a thousand words here, but some older clear window
glass from the early 1900's can be slightly hazy and variable depending
on relative humidity. Only really shows up when the sun catches it.

Generally I have only seen it affect an entire small pane in a sash
window but the odd one stands out as different. We spent ages trying to
clean one before it dawned that the glass itself was slightly clouded.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 12:16*pm, GMM wrote:
A couple of windows (single glazed sashes) have a thin irregular strip where the glass is white along the bottom edge.

I'm assuming this is the consequence of some over-enthusiastic blow gun stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

Does anyone have a simple fix for this? *I've tried rubbing but it seems to be more than superficial.
I'd rather not have to replace the glass at the moment, as they will undergo major surgery inn due course (!)

You sometimes get this on the "triplex" type of saftey glass due to
water penetrating between the glass and plastic film.
Or
Paint stripper left on too long?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Monday, September 17, 2012 4:30:37 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Sep 17, 12:16*pm, GMM wrote:

A couple of windows (single glazed sashes) have a thin irregular strip where the glass is white along the bottom edge.

I'm assuming this is the consequence of some over-enthusiastic blow gun stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

Does anyone have a simple fix for this? *I've tried rubbing but it seems to be more than superficial.

I'd rather not have to replace the glass at the moment, as they will undergo major surgery inn due course (!)

You sometimes get this on the "triplex" type of saftey glass due to

water penetrating between the glass and plastic film.

Or

Paint stripper left on too long?

Much more likely to be the latter - this glass is 150 years old, so there's no chance it's safety glass, triplex or not....

The question is, can it be rectified, is it a live with or replace the pane situation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Monday, September 17, 2012 12:39:13 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/09/2012 12:16, GMM wrote:

[...]

It's clearly not that then: This is a line about 2cm wide but irregular, along the bottom of the pane.

I presume it's effectively a surface effect, but that doesn't mean it's possible to do anything about it, of course...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2012 12:16, GMM wrote:

[...]

I presume it's effectively a surface effect, but that doesn't mean it's possible to do anything about it, of course...- Hide quoted text -

Tcut or similar fine abrasive+ polishing buff on drill/anglegrinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 12:16 pm, GMM wrote:

A couple of windows (single glazed sashes) have a thin irregular strip where the glass is white along the bottom edge.
I'm assuming this is the consequence of some over-enthusiastic blow gun stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.
Does anyone have a simple fix for this? I've tried rubbing but it seems to be more than superficial.

I'd rather not have to replace the glass at the moment, as they will undergo major surgery inn due course (!)

You sometimes get this on the "triplex" type of saftey glass due to
water penetrating between the glass and plastic film.

Or

Paint stripper left on too long?

Much more likely to be the latter - this glass is 150 years old, so there's no chance it's safety glass, triplex or not....
The question is, can it be rectified, is it a live with or replace the pane situation?

If it is that age then it is almost certainly a real feature of the
glass as made! They struggled to get perfect window glass mix without a
slight tendency to haze as late as 1906 when our village hall was built.
Most is perfect but about 1% of the panes show slight hazing which
varies with the ambient humidity - worse in winter with low sun.

I am sure a partial pane could be affected this way too although the way
the small panes were cut they would try and avoid it. Window glass was
much more expensive back then. Shining a laser pointer into it will show
you if the bulk glass is hazed or just the surface. You can only see a
light beam if there is scattering.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 17/09/2012 12:16, GMM wrote:

[...]

Good idea - I should have some Tcut in the garage from my (now passed as I don't need to) days of tinkering with old motors
Will give it a go .
An angle grinder would certainly sort it, but I could just replace the glass without shattering it first (!)

stucco fogging? djay Home Repair 10 May 18th 17 11:04 PM
Ideas for cleaning white scale from exterior door glass? bobmct[_3_] Home Repair 2 May 20th 12 03:21 PM
Water, not just fogging, in Thermopane Windows. What2Do?? [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 19th 06 06:28 AM
Mirror fogging. TrailRat Woodworking 22 January 18th 06 12:57 AM
Preventing dbl pane windows from fogging...? Hank Home Repair 2 February 23rd 04 03:51 AM