Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

Default Mirror fogging.

Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

2 things.
1 - spit is the old standby. Sounds gross but hock a good loogie on it and
rub it in and rinse it off.
Works great for my diving masks and small mirror I use in the shower to
shave. Full size mirror not really an option. (unless you have a bad cold)

2 - Use shaving cream. Rub it in - wipe it off - should last for a few
showers w/out steaming up.
You can even try it in one circle on the mirror and see how it works.

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

That is condensation. Either use an electric vent fan to exhaust the humid
air out of the bath room while you are showering or use something to warm
the mirror. Moisture usually does not condense on a surface that is warmer
than the ambient temperature.
Or there are some products that you apply to the surface that helps cut
down on the fogging. Check with your local glass supplier.
Or do like I did, shave in the shower. Do you need a mirror to see where
your face is? LOL.. It took me about a week to learn to use my other hand
to feel for the spots that needed more attention. Less mess in the shower.
Also as you can rinse your face right there and you beard is soft and easier
to cut at the end of your shower before you get out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article .com, "TrailRat" wrote:
Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

Simplest solution to that problem is one I adopted many years ago: shave in
the shower. You really *don't* need a mirror to shave, and it's easier to
rinse the shaving cream off when you're done, too.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

A low wattage heating element installed behind the mirror works pretty good,
but it requires some pretty extensive construction work to install it. I
once saw this in a "high end" model home and thought it was a pretty good
idea. I have no idea where to get the heating element though.

I use the hair dryer and blow it at the mirror when I'm having this
problem. It only takes about a minute or so to clear the mirror and the
residual heat that's left in the mirror will keep it from fogging back up.
You might also try a light application of glycerin. It will work OK, until
SYMBO cleans the mirror.

--
Charley

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Charley wrote:

SYMBO cleans the mirror.

She Yanks My Balls Occasionally???

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"David" wrote in message
Charley wrote:

SYMBO cleans the mirror.

She Yanks My Balls Occasionally???

Relax, and enjoy it ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

You really *don't* need a mirror to shave,

Spoken like a man with no moustache/goatee.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

You really *don't* need a mirror to shave,

Spoken like a man with no moustache/goatee.

Touche' !

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

Thanks for the responses.

Got an extractor fan in the bathroom for the little good it does. Can't
be be replaced without some serious redecorating. Going to try all the
suggestions mentioned. Don't have a problem with the mirrors getting
cleaned. I do this myself. As I'm out of work I do most of the
housework to keep busy.

As for Charley's suggestion on heating the mirror I may have hit upon
an idea. Small heat pads for reptiles should be suitable shouldn't
they? The mirror is about the same size as a small lizard tank. Since
the mirror is to be mounted on a door surely I could router a small
area for the mat to sit in so the mirror still sits flush to the piece
of wood. Then run the cable through the door, back into the cabinets
light fittings.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:51:54 GMT, "Charley"
wrote:

A low wattage heating element installed behind the mirror works pretty good,
but it requires some pretty extensive construction work to install it.

These are increasingly common in the UK and they're not hugely expensive
or awkward to install.

The main thing though is to vent the damp air from the shower, not have
it hanging around the bathroom.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 16 Jan 2006 07:50:47 -0800, "TrailRat"
wrote:

Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

Install a good bathroom fan.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

Hey, Swing . . .,

I have a beard {not 'Full'} and a moustache. After a lot of aggravation
trying to KEEP the mirror clear, I started shaving IN the shower. No cream,
brush, etc. - just nicely softened whiskers.

Ever see a blind man shave? Same technique. Use your finger to 'trace' the
line of the beard, the other hand holds the razor. Do any 'finite edging'
over the sink, later.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{I'm a sailor, of course. No 'real pirate' shaves !!}
"Swingman" wrote in message
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

You really *don't* need a mirror to shave,

Spoken like a man with no moustache/goatee.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Hey, Swing . . .,

I have a beard {not 'Full'} and a moustache. After a lot of aggravation
trying to KEEP the mirror clear, I started shaving IN the shower. No

cream,
brush, etc. - just nicely softened whiskers.

Ever see a blind man shave? Same technique. Use your finger to 'trace' the
line of the beard, the other hand holds the razor. Do any 'finite edging'
over the sink, later.

LOL ... No way in hell I could do that and come out looking properly dapper,
so I got in the habit of shaving before I got in the shower. Now I just
build the bathroom big enough so that the mirror doesn't fog.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Install a good bathroom fan.

Or fan)s) ... best solution of all.

We have a large, semi-enclosed shower in a fairly large bathroom ... with
three fart fans, one dead center over the shower, one in the middle of the
room, and one in the "water closet", which is behind its own door, I've
never had a problem with mirrors fogging in this bathroom in any weather.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
remove

wrote:

Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

You can use WD40 according to the list of uses at:

http://www.twbc.org/wd40.htm

HTH
Bill :

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

TrailRat wrote:
Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

TR

Dissolve a little soap in alcohol. Spray lightly on glass using spray
bottle. Wipe with cloth or paper towel until dry & shiny.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I couldn't care less about apathy.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On 16 Jan 2006 07:50:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"TrailRat" quickly quoth:

Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

Fog-X on the mirror, colder/shorter showers, vent the bathroom. OK?

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On 16 Jan 2006 07:50:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"TrailRat" quickly quoth:

Replacing a damaged mirror in a freecycled bathroom cabinet and was
curious as to how you prevent your mirror from fogging up if the
bathroom gets steamy. This would be useful to me because I shave right
after I get out of the shower.

I forgot two things: try shaving BEFORE the shower, while you can
still see in the mirror; or leave the bathroom door open so the steam
doesn't fill it.

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Swingman wrote:
"David" wrote in message

Charley wrote:

SYMBO cleans the mirror.

She Yanks My Balls Occasionally???

Relax, and enjoy it ...

That would depend on the vigor in her motion... g

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
connor aston

I cant really believe this is the 23rd Post to this question!
http://www.shavenomore.com/?a=05112005
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:38:53 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, "connor aston" quickly quoth:

I cant really believe this is the 23rd Post to this question!
http://www.shavenomore.com/?a=05112005

Bwahahahaha! "ONLY" $50/month!

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --