Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paths for new veg garden ?

We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/09/2012 11:06, robgraham wrote:
We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Thanks
Rob

My dad a very keen gardener always had `grass` paths, measured so it was
either one or two widths of his lawn mower for easy cutting. if he
needed to resite the paths it was easily sorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

depends. Concrete slabs will remain more or less weed free, but gravel
is cheaper. And needs some maintenance. Wood chip looks prety but needs
even more manintenanc and isnt cheap.

Grass is very cheap of course but needs lots of maintenance

Thanks
Rob

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 11:06*am, robgraham wrote:
We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. *It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Thanks
Rob

I would vote for second hand slabs. We did a pretty large veg patch
(2-300 metres of path) quite cheaply at our last house. Look in the
local paper.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:06 am, robgraham wrote:

I would vote for second hand slabs. We did a pretty large veg patch
(2-300 metres of path) quite cheaply at our last house. Look in the
local paper.

Jonathan

Or go to a little local outfit that makes slabs. Very much cheaper than
a DIY shop. Such places are often to be found near gravel quarries.
Generally they are happier with cash.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 September 2012 11:06:30 UTC+1, robgraham wrote:
We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Thanks

Rob

Gravel is fairly practical and has a softer look about it than slabs. Be sure to lay down a membrane below it else the gravel tends to work its way down into the ground and weeds grow through it. Edging is absolutely vital to retain it, I find log roll edging easy to install and effective, but there are are various other edging solutions including terracotta edging tiles etc.

Gravel needs to be about 10mm. In my view 20mm is too big. Any smaller than 10mm (e.g. pea gravel) and cats use it as cat litter and it sticks to your shoes and tracks indoors.

It might need the occasional 'dressing' with a fresh bag of gravel, plus it helps if you have a garden blower/sucker to clean detritus out of it in the spring. If not, a grass rake does a reasonable job.

Slabs will be easier to keep clean and require less maintenance but unless you can afford real stone tend to look a bit utilitarian and take more work to lay. Depends what effect you're aiming for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing
this ?

Grass - low maintenance, cheap and it will produce material for
mulching or composting.

Al.

Garden Hut Vass[_8_] UK diy 7 June 23rd 10 12:48 AM
If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths rather thantravel the worn paths of accepted success. ali khanbaba Home Ownership 0 May 31st 09 04:30 AM
Add home & Garden site to Home & garden directory xsYSN Add your Site Home Repair 0 July 3rd 07 12:00 PM
8x6 Garden Hut Woodworking 3 May 14th 05 11:42 AM