Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] eeyore.is.here@gmail.com is offline

Default Paths for new veg garden ?

On Thursday, 13 September 2012 11:06:30 UTC+1, robgraham wrote:
We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Thanks

Rob

Gravel is fairly practical and has a softer look about it than slabs. Be sure to lay down a membrane below it else the gravel tends to work its way down into the ground and weeds grow through it. Edging is absolutely vital to retain it, I find log roll edging easy to install and effective, but there are are various other edging solutions including terracotta edging tiles etc.

Gravel needs to be about 10mm. In my view 20mm is too big. Any smaller than 10mm (e.g. pea gravel) and cats use it as cat litter and it sticks to your shoes and tracks indoors.

It might need the occasional 'dressing' with a fresh bag of gravel, plus it helps if you have a garden blower/sucker to clean detritus out of it in the spring. If not, a grass rake does a reasonable job.

Slabs will be easier to keep clean and require less maintenance but unless you can afford real stone tend to look a bit utilitarian and take more work to lay. Depends what effect you're aiming for.