Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grand Designs

New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

That's not a very nice way to refer to the island of Ireland

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Nothing can go wrong then...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you live in London some gangmaster will pay you £50k and house ten
immigrant slave families in it.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:37:16 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Maybe they can turn my knackered asbestos garage into a luxury bungalow
then.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 8:34*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Quite a good episode. Better than the loony architects glass boxes we
were getting latterly.
Irishman obviously crazed/clueless. Pity he wasn't able to finish it.
I wonder how he was going to pay all that money back & why he needed
to borrow so much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

On Sep 12, 8:34 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Quite a good episode.

I didn't think it was /that/ good as a series-starter, probably they
were expecting to finish it in the previous series.

Better than the loony architects glass boxes we
were getting latterly.

surprise! Looks like a glass pod thing next week
http://facit-homes.com/clients/celia-diana

Irishman obviously crazed/clueless. Pity he wasn't able to finish it.
I wonder how he was going to pay all that money back & why he needed
to borrow so much.

As an actor I'd never heard of him, fair enough if he was splashing his
own cash at it, but I'm surprised he got the bank to lend in the first
place and planning permission without detailed plans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The subject can't have been much of a Grand Designs fan. In the first
series our Kev made the point about it being easier to change a drawing
than build without and change that. And with monotonous regularity ever
since.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 8:34 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Quite a good episode. Better than the loony architects glass boxes we
were getting latterly.
Irishman obviously crazed/clueless. Pity he wasn't able to finish it.
I wonder how he was going to pay all that money back & why he needed
to borrow so much.

Anybody who needs to borrow 140K for furniture obviously has standards that
he cannot afford.

I suspect he put that into the build as well

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The subject can't have been much of a Grand Designs fan. In the first
series our Kev made the point about it being easier to change a drawing
than build without and change that. And with monotonous regularity ever
since.

But he didn't want the finished build to be "the architect's design"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:44:23 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Nothing can go wrong then...

Surprisingly little did, in the end. Apart from running out of money,
of course.
The whole thing was a fantasy and it's the type of project that, if it
had been done at the start of the boom, would have worked well and
perhaps even paid for itself by time of the collapse. As in so many
things, timing was wrong.
Cracking place to live, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The subject can't have been much of a Grand Designs fan. In the first
series our Kev made the point about it being easier to change a drawing
than build without and change that. And with monotonous regularity ever
since.

But he didn't want the finished build to be "the architect's design"

You don't need architect's 'design' to discover a bathroom or bedroom is
too small. A scale drawing most could do on a computer would show that.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:44:59 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You don't need architect's 'design' to discover a bathroom or bedroom is
too small.

Or a path on the first floor.

A scale drawing most could do on a computer would show that.

You might have needed an architect (or similarly clued up person), to notice that the floor timbers for the first floor could/should be built *in* the depth of the supporting steels (rather than on top). That would have allowed the ceiling to leave rather more space above the tops of the windows.

If he hadn't wasted so much money knocking stuff down and rebuilding it, he could have got quite a bit further with the money he was loaned - and I wonder if he might have found it easier to borrow the rest too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:17:25 PM UTC+1, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:44:59 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You don't need architect's 'design' to discover a bathroom or bedroom is

too small.

Or a path on the first floor.

A scale drawing most could do on a computer would show that.

You might have needed an architect (or similarly clued up person), to notice that the floor timbers for the first floor could/should be built *in* the depth of the supporting steels (rather than on top). That would have allowed the ceiling to leave rather more space above the tops of the windows.

If he hadn't wasted so much money knocking stuff down and rebuilding it, he could have got quite a bit further with the money he was loaned - and I wonder if he might have found it easier to borrow the rest too.

Was anyone surprised the banks would advance him no more money? Would you ?
No qualified contracts manager,Nn architect, and a client with his head up his arse. You'd have to be mad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
Was anyone surprised the banks would advance him no more money? Would
you ? No qualified contracts manager,Nn architect, and a client with his
head up his arse. You'd have to be mad.

Elsewhere in the prog it was stated they had lent the money to build
thousands of new housing estates with no buyers.

We weren't told of the subject's finances. He might well own property etc
that covers the value of the loans. He wasn't doing the usual 'living in a
caravan on site' that those short of cash do.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 8:11*am, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:
On Sep 12, 8:34 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy
home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Quite a good episode.

I didn't think it was /that/ good as a series-starter, probably they
were expecting to finish it in the previous series.

Better than the loony architects glass boxes we
were getting latterly.

surprise! Looks like a glass pod thing next weekhttp://facit-homes.com/clients/celia-diana

Irishman obviously crazed/clueless. Pity he wasn't able to finish it.
I wonder how he was going to pay all that money back & why he needed
to borrow so much.

As an actor I'd never heard of him, fair enough if he was splashing his
own cash at it, but I'm surprised he got the bank to lend in the first
place and planning permission without detailed plans.

Yes, I wondered about that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 3:50*pm, fred wrote:
[...]

And no obvious means of paying it back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Was anyone surprised the banks would advance him no more money? Would
you ? No qualified contracts manager,Nn architect, and a client with his
head up his arse. You'd have to be mad.

Elsewhere in the prog it was stated they had lent the money to build
thousands of new housing estates with no buyers.

We weren't told of the subject's finances. He might well own property etc
that covers the value of the loans. He wasn't doing the usual 'living in a
caravan on site' that those short of cash do.

But we were told that he needed to borrow the money to buy the furniture for
this house, so he can't be that well off

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:50:52 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

Was anyone surprised the banks would advance him no more money? Would you ?
No qualified contracts manager,Nn architect, and a client with his head up his arse. You'd have to be mad.

Nobody got any more money. You had to be here at the time to know it.
It was and is, ****e, for a developer of any scale.

Grand designs George UK diy 12 January 31st 08 12:36 PM
Grand Designs Weatherlawyer UK diy 1 September 30th 07 07:30 PM
Grand Designs: 30 Nov 05 [email protected] UK diy 13 December 3rd 05 12:57 PM
Grand designs The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 16 November 24th 05 05:47 PM
Grand Designs 16 Nov 05 Lobster UK diy 8 November 17th 05 05:16 PM