Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing chiselling marks from slate floor

I've just had a load of riven slate laid (I wish I'd got the time to
DIY because it would have been more satisfying and better, but I don't
have the time any more!), and the tiler has laid a couple of tiles
that I would have discarded - they've got gouge marks on. Is there a
good way of removing these? I vaguely recall that someone on here used
an angle grinder to remove a large bump, and the result was good, but
can't find the original thread... If no one's done it, I will practice
on a discard and report back...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2012 10:10, Ben Blaukopf wrote:
I've just had a load of riven slate laid (I wish I'd got the time to
DIY because it would have been more satisfying and better, but I don't
have the time any more!), and the tiler has laid a couple of tiles
that I would have discarded - they've got gouge marks on. Is there a
good way of removing these? I vaguely recall that someone on here used
an angle grinder to remove a large bump, and the result was good, but
can't find the original thread... If no one's done it, I will practice
on a discard and report back...

You may find that once "run in" they become less obvious, and more part
of the natural finish. If you were to grind, you should need to be
prepared to follow up with several finer grades of abrasive to conceal
the grinding marks.

If they are really deep is there any scope for filling?

Are you leaving them natural, or sealing and polishing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 11, 11:16*am, newshound wrote:
On 11/09/2012 10:10, Ben Blaukopf wrote: I've just had a load of riven slate laid (I wish I'd got the time to
DIY because it would have been more satisfying and better, but I don't
have the time any more!), and the tiler has laid a couple of tiles
that I would have discarded - they've got gouge marks on. Is there a
good way of removing these? I vaguely recall that someone on here used
an angle grinder to remove a large bump, and the result was good, but
can't find the original thread... If no one's done it, I will practice
on a discard and report back...

You may find that once "run in" they become less obvious, and more part
of the natural finish. If you were to grind, you should need to be
prepared to follow up with several finer grades of abrasive to conceal
the grinding marks.

If they are really deep is there any scope for filling?

Not really - but out of curiosity how would you fill slate? Grindings
from the cutter mixed with something?

Are you leaving them natural, or sealing and polishing?

Sealing with Lithofin Stainstop Plus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2012 14:39, Ben Blaukopf wrote:

If they are really deep is there any scope for filling?

Not really - but out of curiosity how would you fill slate? Grindings
from the cutter mixed with something?

Epoxy adhesive with a suitably coloured filler. In principle "powdered
slate"
might work. In practice the colour match does not have to be all that good
when repairing "natural" materials especially on things like work surfaces
where it is the "roughness" which is most noticed. There might be a
"Milliput" with a suitable colour.

Especially if sealed or varnished so that the original and the repair have
the same sort of gloss or sheen.

On a floor with heavy traffic or repeated washing it might not last
forever.