Posted to rec.woodworking

Default removing pencil marks

How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in message
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?
I just use a pencil and sand it out. Never thought about removing them
before sanding. Some time I have to sand them out to get ones one on that
I can read.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in news:7GmHi.99444$Vk6.12043
@newsfe07.phx:

How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the

initial
layout?

I usually just make the marks with whatever's handy (I keep pencils in
the shop so they're usually handy) and sand them out. I've been known to
erase the marks, though. Erasers work just as well on wood as they do
paper.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in message
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Ummm, doesn't sanding remove the pencil marks?

I mark with a pencil normally unless I'm really looking for a perfect fit in
which case I use a marking knife.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:34:39 -0700, "William Andersen"
wrote:

How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

Alcohol.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Depends. Dovetails and fine marks: knife. Others: Pencil

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

What a bunch of idiots. Thats what they
make erasers for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

William Andersen skreiv:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

Naphta works fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

William Andersen wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

They come off automatically as I plane, scrape and sand. I try to make
them on the light side, and not crush lots of fibers as I mark. I make
my most precise marks with knives, not pencils.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Chalk, crayons, and pencils, maybe even a Sharpie on ends that I know
will get cut off. I use a lot of crayons on rough lumber.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "William Andersen" wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

By sanding. Or with a card scraper.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead for most purposes, marking knife for
dovetails and fine details.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"name" wrote in message ...
William Andersen skreiv:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

Don't press so hard, and then sand it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the ideas. I think the lead in the pencil I used was too soft,
and the pine was soft, oo. It was easy to see, but an eraser didn't remove
it all and it took more sanding than I intended. Sanding just seem to push
the lead further into the wood and spread it.

. net...
wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

By sanding. Or with a card scraper.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead for most purposes, marking knife for
dovetails and fine details.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the answers. I guess the lead in the pencil was too soft, and the
pine was soft, too. The eraser diddn't do a good job and I had to sand more
than I wanted to, as the lead just seemed to get worked deeper into the wood
and spread a bit to the sides of the initial mark.

wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

By sanding. Or with a card scraper.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead for most purposes, marking knife for
dovetails and fine details.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

name wrote:

William Andersen skreiv:

How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

Naphta works fine.

As does denatured alcohol.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in message
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

For most of my marks, things like direction to plane, part numbers, and
alignment marks I use chalk instead of pencil.

For layout lines where chalk would be too wide I use pencil but bear down
very lightly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

By sanding. Or with a card scraper.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead for most purposes, marking knife for
dovetails and fine details.

--
Regards,

If it's taking more than a few of passes with a sander to remove the marks
then I would think you are marking
too hard (and maybe with a soft lead). I typically use No. 2B or 2HB lead
in my mechanical pencils and can remove sanding
marks in no time with the ROS. I might add, the most time spent removing
pencil marks for me, is on the first grit. I suspect this is because I'm
essentially getting the piece flat. Subsequent grits remove pencil marks
much quicker.
On a side note, when I am sanding, to make sure I'm hitting all the spots
evenly, I mark "squiggles" across
the work with a pencil between each grit. This way, I can make sure that
I'm hitting all spots evenly (ie. no pencil marks left anywhere).
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Sep, 23:34, "William Andersen" wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Measure with a micrometer.
Mark with chalk.
Cut with an ax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 16 Sep, 23:34, "William Andersen" wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Measure with a micrometer.
Mark with chalk.
Cut with an ax.

And hammer to fit.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

AMEN !!! Lou
"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
What a bunch of idiots. Thats what they
make erasers for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

With softer woods you can use masking tape on the wood when possible. It
makes it easier to get a cleaner mark, and it prevent splintering in softer
woods like pine or cedar. It also makes a blind cat like me see the lines
easier on tape when I use a .3 or.5mm pencil. A cautionary note, get the
tape off as soon as you are done with it. Tape can leave a residue
especially if left too long.

--
Rich Harris

wrote:
How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

By sanding. Or with a card scraper.

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

Mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead for most purposes, marking knife for
dovetails and fine details.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 11:46 am, "Frank Drackman" wrote:
"William Andersen" wrote in message

How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?
How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial
layout?

For most of my marks, things like direction to plane, part numbers, and
alignment marks I use chalk instead of pencil.

For layout lines where chalk would be too wide I use pencil but bear down
very lightly.

If I'm using pencil I sort of hold it so it's nearly parallel to the
surface of the wood and then the point doesn't jab in as much. This
is also helpful when marking open pored woods like red oak or really
checky wood like a lot of the jarrah/kari I see. White chalk is good
too, but for some reason I never seem to have it around.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:34:39 -0700, "William Andersen" wrote:

How do you remove pencil marks from wood before sanding/finishing?

Your pencil marks, or did a crumb catcher scribble on something?
(Usually a big difference)

How do you mark wood when you're planning the cuts and doing the initial layout?

I use a soft lead carpenters pencil, the rectangular ones..

The key, in MHO, is soft lead and only as much pressure as needed... you're
marking, not scoring, right?

I usually kind of scribble a pattern of light lines on the surface before
sanding, to help reference flatness as they get sanded off..

Pencil lead on the wood surface is easy to get rid of or "erase" with light
pressure and fine grit paper, while grooves from heavy pressure on the pencil
require courser grits and a lot of language that the grand kids aren't supposed
to hear.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Pencil art? Robatoy Woodworking 0 January 8th 07 02:11 PM
Removing pencil marks from wood Jon UK diy 6 November 11th 06 04:36 PM
Removing Marks on Acrylic Sink [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 3rd 06 04:20 PM
Removing marks from a bathroom basin [email protected] UK diy 11 June 13th 06 02:10 AM
removing marks from polished floorboards Michael UK diy 2 July 22nd 04 06:09 PM