Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Veneering

I've bought a couple of ex-broadcast speakers which although fine
electrically are very tatty. They are made out of teak faced birch ply,
and I'd like to get them looking as close to standard as possible.

The size is W460 D400 H770mm

The sides appear to have three strips of veneer - but the top only one.

I've never done any veneering on this scale before, so any sites I should
look at - and who would be the best value supplier?

I have used some iron on stuff for small things and found it quite
successful - but this is a major project.

Any help gratefully received...

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've bought a couple of ex-broadcast speakers which although fine
electrically are very tatty. They are made out of teak faced birch ply,
and I'd like to get them looking as close to standard as possible.

The size is W460 D400 H770mm

The sides appear to have three strips of veneer - but the top only one.

I've never done any veneering on this scale before, so any sites I should
look at - and who would be the best value supplier?

I have used some iron on stuff for small things and found it quite
successful - but this is a major project.

Any help gratefully received...

I always used Thixofix and a roller, it always seemed very time consuming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
brass monkey wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've bought a couple of ex-broadcast speakers which although fine
electrically are very tatty. They are made out of teak faced birch ply,
and I'd like to get them looking as close to standard as possible.

The size is W460 D400 H770mm

The sides appear to have three strips of veneer - but the top only one.

I've never done any veneering on this scale before, so any sites I
should look at - and who would be the best value supplier?

I have used some iron on stuff for small things and found it quite
successful - but this is a major project.

Any help gratefully received...

I always used Thixofix and a roller, it always seemed very time
consuming.

Being a total novice, is that any easier than the iron on stuff? I've
noticed many veneer suppliers sell iron on stuff - or iron on film that
can be used with 'bare' veneer? I know it must upset the purists who use
boiling pots of horses bits - but I don't want to invest in lots of stuff
I'll probably never use again.

Other thing is after closer examining is I think only one will need new
veneer. But would that match the other close enough?

What varnish would give the closest colour to the factory stuff? Probably
from the early '80s. Satin finish.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:30:52 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,

brass monkey wrote:

[...]

Impact adhesive is your man. Evo-stick or whatever.

Best of luck with matching the finish. Its a black art. To finish them I'd use an aerosol can of lacquer. B&Q carry a range. Much quicker than a brush. Easy to do on a small project
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:

[...]

I'd imagine iron-on would be easier and less messy although I've only ever
seen it as edging.
Matching a finish? Anybodys guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used some iron on stuff for small things and found it quite
successful - but this is a major project.

Any help gratefully received...

I have built several speakers .. and used the iron on veneers .... I
used to buy mine from Wilmslow Audio.

Hot iron with brown paper between veneer & iron.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have built several speakers .. and used the iron on veneers .... I
used to buy mine from Wilmslow Audio.

Hot iron with brown paper between veneer & iron.

And it stayed stuck even at the edges? It would make life very much easier.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:

[...]

I've used both on furniture and, if I had to do it again, would
definitely use iron-on. Too long ago to be much help with suppliers though.

Matching a finish? Anybodys guess.

There will usually be offcuts that can be used to try different options.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:30:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have built several speakers .. and used the iron on veneers .... I
used to buy mine from Wilmslow Audio.

Hot iron with brown paper between veneer & iron.

And it stayed stuck even at the edges? It would make life very much easier.

Many years ago I clad a chipboard speaker cabinet with some form of
foil-backed veneer, which ISTR was iron-on. The difficulty was trying
to get reasonable external corners without too much aluminium foil
showing... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2012 23:52, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:30:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have built several speakers .. and used the iron on veneers .... I
used to buy mine from Wilmslow Audio.

Hot iron with brown paper between veneer & iron.

And it stayed stuck even at the edges? It would make life very much easier.

Many years ago I clad a chipboard speaker cabinet with some form of
foil-backed veneer, which ISTR was iron-on. The difficulty was trying
to get reasonable external corners without too much aluminium foil
showing... :-)

ISTR there was a small tool you could buy from the veneer supplier that
would cut the edge to a chamfer to avoid that problem.

Colin Bignell

Veneering eclipsme[_2_] Woodworking 21 February 24th 10 12:56 AM
veneering top steven griffey Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 December 29th 08 03:21 AM
Veneering. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 1 May 1st 07 09:51 PM
Veneering. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 May 1st 07 08:23 PM
veneering MDF box Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 January 23rd 05 05:59 AM