Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on buying a strimmer

Hi all

Looks like I will need to buy a strimmer in order to clear a large
neglected area of a garden that I tend as a favour for absent friends.

The area in question has been left to the wild for a few years now. It
has many trees, planted 15-20 years ago. The land tends to bogginess --
especially since the trees grew sufficiently to prevent the elements
penetrating enough. As a result, what grass there is is very coarse,
and has grown unkempt for at least 5 seasons. However the dominant
plant life in this ?quarter-acre? is nettles: 4 to 6 feet high (hence:
with woody stems).

My mission is to reduce the trees' over-growth to an extent where sun
and wind can penetrate, and to cut down all the undergrowth to a couple
of inches, hopefully encouraging the grass to grow strongly again.

I can manage the trees with ladders, bow saws, and the occasional
chainsaw.

But I need a petrol strimmer to tackle not only the unkempt grass, but
the ubiquitous, tough, not to say cocky, nettles, which have acquired a
stranglehold. (I'm told that if you strim nettles often enough,
they'll die. Not very convinced about that.)

What's the recommendation for a strimmer to tackle this job? I'm
thinking it needs to be convertible to being a "brush cutter", doesn't
it?

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
Hi all

Looks like I will need to buy a strimmer in order to clear a large
neglected area of a garden that I tend as a favour for absent friends.

The area in question has been left to the wild for a few years now. It
has many trees, planted 15-20 years ago. The land tends to bogginess --
especially since the trees grew sufficiently to prevent the elements
penetrating enough. As a result, what grass there is is very coarse,
and has grown unkempt for at least 5 seasons. However the dominant
plant life in this ?quarter-acre? is nettles: 4 to 6 feet high (hence:
with woody stems).

Ah. That be a bugger.. ...

My mission is to reduce the trees' over-growth to an extent where sun
and wind can penetrate, and to cut down all the undergrowth to a couple
of inches, hopefully encouraging the grass to grow strongly again.

Yes. That will happen.
BTDTGTTS

I can manage the trees with ladders, bow saws, and the occasional
chainsaw.

Yup

But I need a petrol strimmer to tackle not only the unkempt grass, but
the ubiquitous, tough, not to say cocky, nettles, which have acquired a
stranglehold. (I'm told that if you strim nettles often enough,
they'll die. Not very convinced about that.)

Its true. mow nettle bi-annulally and they die. Leaving hufely fertile
soil behind usually.

What's the recommendation for a strimmer to tackle this job? I'm
thinking it needs to be convertible to being a "brush cutter", doesn't
it?

No, but nettles are deep **** for strimmers. they have fibres that
resemble sisal string up their stems, And this gets wound round the
rotating head and inside the bearings. I've spent a lot of time clearing it.

TBH the BEST thing for clearing really high nettles is a hand scythe or
a hedge trimmer.

Or failing that a ride on mower with lots of power.

Or one of those things I haven't seen for years that is essentially a
hedge trimmer and a motor on a pair of wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDw0...eature=related

Once cleared, the ride on twice a year or a strimmer keeps things OK and
stops saplings being established

If you MUST tackle nettles with a strimmer do it in stages and take of
the top 6 inches first. Then go lower and so on. That's how we do it
here when we have to tackle a raw patch and the ride on cant get in...

But the good news with nettles is that do it once and next year they are
half as big and the year after they don't come back.

Oh. Look. They still exist and can be hired

http://www.hss.com/g/62146/Power-Scythe.html

So start off with that in year one for a couple of days and then
consider what maintenance will require.

My point being that the tools to get it under control are not the same
tools needed to efficiently keep it that way.

Hire the former, buy the latter.

My Ryobi strimmer is pretty good. I buy heavy duty line from the local
agricultural/garden suppliers http://www.ernestdoe.com/

Stihl make a good one too. Had one but diddies nicked it.

Cheers
John

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 16:29:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

However the dominant plant life in this ?quarter-acre? is nettles: 4
to 6 feet high (hence: with woody stems).

Ah. That be a bugger.. ...

Arr, be so.

[...]

Yep at this time of year when they are old they certainly give my twin
line Ryobi strimmer something to think about but it doesn't very often
clog completly. Just moving the head into the clear and letting it spin
back up, normaly throws the "string" off the head. Just pay attention to
how hard it is having to work and cut accordingly.

If you MUST tackle nettles with a strimmer do it in stages and take of
the top 6 inches first. Then go lower and so on. That's how we do it
here when we have to tackle a raw patch and the ride on cant get in...

Arr, be so.

Not tried it but I'd expect an ordinary, sharp, hedge trimmer should deal
with nettles without too much fuss. Maybe get one on a pole so you don't
have to crawl to use it. The semi motorised power sythes seem a bit OTT
for just 1/4 of an acre (1000 sq m).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or one of those things I haven't seen for years that is essentially a
hedge trimmer and a motor on a pair of wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDw0...eature=related

snip

Oh. Look. They still exist and can be hired

http://www.hss.com/g/62146/Power-Scythe.html

BTDTGT... stings actually. Make sure you're properly dressed, as the
nettles tend to fall towards you as you cut the stems.

The Allen Scythe I was using many years ago was possibly pre-war
vintage, and not nearly as slick as the one in the HSS brochure, but
they do a damn good job.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OP he *Many* thanks to all the usual small-holding-inhabiting
suspects, who I thought might reply, and who have come up trumps.

Believe me, I am a *very* experienced computing hand, but I have to be
honest and say I need to know what TNP means when he uses ....

BTDTGTTS

[echoed later by Andy Champ]

Seen it before in Usenet, but ICBA to work it out!

And on the strimming: very many thanks for the very useful, and
encouraging, replies.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh Stupid Me .... I said

Believe me, I am a *very* experienced computing hand, but I have to be
honest and say I need to know what TNP means when he uses ....

BTDTGTTS

[echoed later by Andy Champ]

Seen it before in Usenet, but ICBA to work it out!

Now come on John! Don't be silly! He

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+BTDTGTTS+mean%3F

(Stupid ****er)

*blush*

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:47:24 +0100, Another John wrote:

BTDTGTTS

Been The, Done That, Got The T Shirt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Another John wrote:

What's the recommendation for a strimmer to tackle this job? I'm
thinking it needs to be convertible to being a "brush cutter", doesn't
it?

No, but nettles are deep **** for strimmers. they have fibres that
resemble sisal string up their stems, And this gets wound round the
rotating head and inside the bearings. I've spent a lot of time clearing it.

Though if you do have a brush cutter with a metal blade, that happens less.
(My father-in-law bought a house with a lot of land similar to that the OP
describes. He had a powerful ride on mower, and a hand scythe, but the
brush cutter was useful for the original clearance.)

TBH the BEST thing for clearing really high nettles is a hand scythe or
a hedge trimmer.

Or failing that a ride on mower with lots of power.

Or one of those things I haven't seen for years that is essentially a
hedge trimmer and a motor on a pair of wheels

My father had one of those, which I think was my grandfather's before that.
Hadn't been used in years when he sold it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

One of these if you can run to it.

[...]

These are good at that job if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003JY7YC...N=B003JY 7YCG

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 September 2012 15:51:34 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

What's the recommendation for a strimmer to tackle this job?

I've got a similar problem. I'm using hand secateurs and a shredder (Bosch Rapid 2000). The shredder needs to be near the cut, as distant carrying is a pain. Unlike brambles, nettles aren't hard to cut but dark nettle stems are stringy to strim. If you do brushcutter them, you're left with an awful mess to pick up afterwards. It's easier to do the overall cleanup with a hand grab, _not_ mangling the stems, then instant shred into a big bag.

If this was a field, and I could leave them lying, I might scythe them and leave them there. As it's a garden(sic), I need to pick them up too.

BTW - tried a friend's aluminium handled racing scythe over the Summer.Not easy to use correctly, but pretty speedy once you get into it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 3:51*pm, Another John wrote:
[...]

The best thing for clearing nettles is Roundup weedkiller. A strimmer
will hardly touch them. Niether will it touch dense tussocks of grass.
If there is a lot of ground you need someone with an agricultural
tractor and a "topper" to cut all the grass right back. Then mow
regularly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Not if powered by your solar panels, no it wont.

usual ******** from the usual limp wristed suspect.

Shed buying advice! larkim UK diy 16 January 9th 12 02:47 PM
Ryobi PLT 2543Y strimmer (and replacement strimmer heads) BluntChisel UK diy 0 June 3rd 11 12:36 PM
req advice on buying gas dryer Linda Grant Home Repair 5 September 14th 04 02:53 PM
dvd player buying advice b Electronics Repair 4 February 4th 04 01:46 AM