Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concealed cistern access

I have a back to wall bog fed from a concealed cistern in a vanity unit.
The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm
struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from
above.

My plan was to cut a square of worktop out and attach some external angle
to it so it could be dropped back in. But there would be a visible flange
and the missus wants something less visible.

Any suggestions welcomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2012 21:48, R D S wrote:
I have a back to wall bog fed from a concealed cistern in a vanity unit.
The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm
struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from
above.

Does it *need* full access from above? Mine only has enough room above
it to get my hand in for very minor tweaks; other than that I'd need to
demount the cistern and remove it for access - not a huge undertaking;
and I haven't actually ever needed to do it in the 10 years since I
installed it; so am happy enough with the original installation decision.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:04:53 +0100, Lobster wrote:

On 01/09/2012 21:48, R D S wrote:
I have a back to wall bog fed from a concealed cistern in a vanity
unit.
The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm
struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from
above.

Does it *need* full access from above? Mine only has enough room above
it to get my hand in for very minor tweaks; other than that I'd need to
demount the cistern and remove it for access - not a huge undertaking;
and I haven't actually ever needed to do it in the 10 years since I
installed it; so am happy enough with the original installation
decision.

I wondered about this, I can get very limited access from a panel on the
front that pulls off.

I'm a bit of a pessimist and can't entertain the notion that I could box
it in and expect it to be trouble free for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:14:18 -0700, Owain wrote:

On Sep 1, 9:48Â*pm, R D S wrote:
My plan was to cut a square of worktop out and attach some external
angle to it so it could be dropped back in. But there would be a
visible flange and the missus wants something less visible.

Can you arrange it so the whole length of worktop can be removed in one
piece?

I'm worktopping an L shape and was hoping to do a really good job of the
join!

I did entertain copping out and getting a connecting strip which would
enable what you suggest but again, 'er indoors is pulling her mush.

This is why I never bother starting a job. Living in squalor is so much
easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:46:55 -0700, Owain wrote:

On Sep 1, 10:20Â*pm, R D S wrote:
I'm worktopping an L shape and was hoping to do a really good job of
the join!

If the L isn't constrained by walls at the end, might it at least slide
out a couple of ft to enable access to the cistern?

It will be trapped in by a chimney breast.

Or could you mount the cistern on drawer slides with flexi pipes?

An interesting idea, though i've had enough trouble getting the pipe from
the cistern to the pan to connect tightly.

This is why I never bother starting a job. Living in squalor is so much
easier.

It's certainly remarkable how much time and brain-power the ladies
expend on colour-coordinating vases of twigs.

Isn't it? You succumb to starting a job you couldn't be arsed doing and
they come up with all sorts of ideas to make it more difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 1, 9:48*pm, R D S wrote:
The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm
struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from
above.

Neat lid, rare earth magnets. Lift it off with a suction cup
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote in
:

I can get very limited access from a
panel on the front that pulls off.

I'm a bit of a pessimist and can't entertain the notion
that I could box it in and expect it to be trouble free for
years.

There are cisterns that have good access from the front.

Check out the BES website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

On Sep 1, 10:20*pm, R D S wrote:
I'm worktopping an L shape and was hoping to do a really good job of
the join!

If the L isn't constrained by walls at the end, might it at least slide
out a couple of ft to enable access to the cistern?

It will be trapped in by a chimney breast.

Or could you mount the cistern on drawer slides with flexi pipes?

An interesting idea, though i've had enough trouble getting the pipe from
the cistern to the pan to connect tightly.

This is why I never bother starting a job. Living in squalor is so much
easier.

It's certainly remarkable how much time and brain-power the ladies
expend on colour-coordinating vases of twigs.

Isn't it? You succumb to starting a job you couldn't be arsed doing and
they come up with all sorts of ideas to make it more difficult.

As the cistern top will be hidden, do you actually need to fit it? If
not you could use something like the device for routing access hatches
in flooring.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2012 21:48, R D S wrote:
I have a back to wall bog fed from a concealed cistern in a vanity
unit.
The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm
struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from
above.

Does it *need* full access from above? Mine only has enough room above
it to get my hand in for very minor tweaks; other than that I'd need to
demount the cistern and remove it for access - not a huge undertaking;
and I haven't actually ever needed to do it in the 10 years since I
installed it; so am happy enough with the original installation
decision.

I wondered about this, I can get very limited access from a panel on the
front that pulls off.

Yep, I made a removable for the front...

I'm a bit of a pessimist and can't entertain the notion that I could box
it in and expect it to be trouble free for years.

You and me both!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2012 21:48, R D S wrote:
I have a back to wall bog fed from a concealed cistern in a vanity unit.
The lid of the vanity unit is going to end up under a worktop and i'm
struggling to think of a way to neatly allow access to the cistern from
above.

My plan was to cut a square of worktop out and attach some external angle
to it so it could be dropped back in. But there would be a visible flange
and the missus wants something less visible.

Any suggestions welcomed.

We have a slightly oddly placed soapdish set into the top of ours.

Right on top of the valve!

Andy