Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bow in Ceiling

Hi

After my previous post on Latex Paint on a ceiling, I followed good
advice and scraped it all off - and it took me days! Anyway I have had
the ceiling skimmed and it looks spotless - except when I look across
the room, the ceiling has a bow in it. I didnt notice this before, but
it must be fairly sound as I have scraped the paint off it and didnt
notice anything loose opr bowed at the time. Is this because I can see
dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger
problem?

Thanks

Alec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alec green wrote:
Hi

After my previous post on Latex Paint on a ceiling, I followed good
advice and scraped it all off - and it took me days! Anyway I have had
the ceiling skimmed and it looks spotless - except when I look across
the room, the ceiling has a bow in it. I didnt notice this before, but
it must be fairly sound as I have scraped the paint off it and didnt
notice anything loose opr bowed at the time. Is this because I can see
dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger
problem?

propably the dark wet thing

I had a celing that was bowed about a foot in the middel, all held up
with wood chip.

When te house got demolished it was fairly obvious that the bits of
broom handle tied together with bailer twine and the old christmas tree
that formed the joists and the mass of rubble that someone had dumped in
the middle of the lathe and plaster ceiling were the cause.

Thanks

Alec

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

alec green wrote:
[...]

Just cleared three rubble sacks of old waste brick, pipe, plaster and
household rubbish from under the floor of a 3m x 3m room. Also found 2
water leaks for good measure.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2012 20:33, alec green wrote:
Hi

After my previous post on Latex Paint on a ceiling, I followed good
advice and scraped it all off - and it took me days! Anyway I have had
the ceiling skimmed and it looks spotless - except when I look across
the room, the ceiling has a bow in it. I didnt notice this before, but
it must be fairly sound as I have scraped the paint off it and didnt
notice anything loose opr bowed at the time. Is this because I can see
dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger
problem?

Thanks

Alec

Have you checked it with a long straight-edge?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that alec green formulated :
Is this because I can see
dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger
problem?

Plaster work is rarely absolutely flat, it is always a bit of a
compromise. Does it look reasonable from the floor, is what you should
be worried about.

The timber it is fixed to is never absolutely flat and it will move
when weight is placed or removed above it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 8:33*pm, alec green wrote:
Hi

After my previous post on Latex Paint on a ceiling, I followed good
advice and scraped it all off - and it took me days! Anyway I have had
the ceiling skimmed and it looks spotless - except when I look across
the room, the ceiling has a bow in it. I didnt notice this before, but
it must be fairly sound as I have scraped the paint off it and didnt
notice anything loose opr bowed at the time. Is this because I can see
dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger
problem?

Thanks

Alec

you havent told us how much bowing, or how old the house is. If its
dipping down a foot then yes, there's a problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 8:33*pm, alec green wrote:
Hi

After my previous post on Latex Paint on a ceiling, I followed good
advice and scraped it all off - and it took me days! Anyway I have had
the ceiling skimmed and it looks spotless - except when I look across
the room, the ceiling has a bow in it. I didnt notice this before, but
it must be fairly sound as I have scraped the paint off it and didnt
notice anything loose opr bowed at the time. Is this because I can see
dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger
problem?

Thanks

Alec

Pretty common. The joists may have warped, in jerry built old
buildings they were often too thin.. As long as the joists are sound
and the cieling is attached to them, then no problem.
Someone may have used latex paint to cover cracks in the plaster.
You need to look between the joists from above to confirm the ceiling
is still attached. (It may have been subjected to flooding in the
past, burst pipe, leaking roof etc.)