Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Karndean flooring maintenance

We've recently had Karndead flooring installed in the hallway, porch and
dining area. It came with a kit that contains a protector, strong
cleaner and routine cleaner. Apparently this is all you should use.

I can't help thinking that this is some sort of overpriced stuff they
want you to use, it's quite expensive and you don't get much in the kit.

My question is, what sort of maintenance does Karndean need? Is there
any need to use the protector? And can I just use some commercial
'neutral cleaner' on it which we use for the marble floor in the kitchen?

Thanks

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 21:26, gremlin_95 wrote:
We've recently had Karndead flooring installed in the hallway, porch and
dining area. It came with a kit that contains a protector, strong
cleaner and routine cleaner. Apparently this is all you should use.

I can't help thinking that this is some sort of overpriced stuff they
want you to use, it's quite expensive and you don't get much in the kit.

Two reasons they suggest it, one being the margin they make, two is arse
covering - they don't want people using bleach or high alkaline detergents.

My question is, what sort of maintenance does Karndean need? Is there
any need to use the protector? And can I just use some commercial
'neutral cleaner' on it which we use for the marble floor in the kitchen?

Thanks

'Clean' appears to be a neutral detergent, 'Remove' is a polish
stripper' and 'Refresh' appears to be a floor polish.

The routine cleaner @ £5 for 750 ml is a rip off IMO. You could buy 5
litres for that price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:05:46 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

If 'Clean' is neutral, possibly something like Ecover or Bio-D washing-up
liquid would be OK. It's a soap (IIRC) rather than a detergent and the
Ecover data sheet that I used to have gave a pH of 5.5 for the neat stuff.
I use it to clean inside the fridge and, after 10-or-so years, there's no
deterioration of the plastic.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 21:26, gremlin_95 wrote:
We've recently had Karndead flooring installed in the hallway, porch and
dining area. It came with a kit that contains a protector, strong
cleaner and routine cleaner. Apparently this is all you should use.

I can't help thinking that this is some sort of overpriced stuff they
want you to use, it's quite expensive and you don't get much in the kit.

Two reasons they suggest it, one being the margin they make, two is
arse covering - they don't want people using bleach or high alkaline
detergents.

Just as I thought then

My question is, what sort of maintenance does Karndean need? Is there
any need to use the protector? And can I just use some commercial
'neutral cleaner' on it which we use for the marble floor in the
kitchen?

Thanks

'Clean' appears to be a neutral detergent, 'Remove' is a polish
stripper' and 'Refresh' appears to be a floor polish.

The routine cleaner @ £5 for 750 ml is a rip off IMO. You could buy 5
litres for that price.

Yep, I already have 5 litres of Jangro Neutral Cleaner which I got for
about that price! Is there any need to polish the floor though, it looks
nice how it is at the moment (natural).

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2012 14:08, gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

The reason you polish a floor is two fold.

One, vinyl floors contain chalk fillers which make the floor porous &
likely to attract dirt. The polish seals them.

Two, to provide a smooth flat surface - vinyl floors are a fairly rough
surface if you examine them under magnification. Smooth surface is
easier to clean.

It also happens to shine when polished because the light reflects better
off a flat smooth surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2012 14:08, gremlin_95 wrote:

Yep, I already have 5 litres of Jangro Neutral Cleaner which I got for
about that price! Is there any need to polish the floor though, it looks
nice how it is at the moment (natural).

The reason you polish a floor is two fold.

One, vinyl floors contain chalk fillers which make the floor porous &
likely to attract dirt. The polish seals them.

Two, to provide a smooth flat surface - vinyl floors are a fairly
rough surface if you examine them under magnification. Smooth surface
is easier to clean.

It also happens to shine when polished because the light reflects
better off a flat smooth surface.

Thanks, I guess we will use the polish they have provided and when it's
finished I will be off my local janitorial supplier

--
David

Karndean query JTM UK diy 0 May 19th 09 10:17 PM
Karndean flooring [email protected] UK diy 4 March 25th 07 10:40 PM
Fitter for Karndean flooring in bristol Chowny UK diy 0 December 13th 06 11:19 AM
Laying Karndean Knight Tile [email protected] UK diy 0 February 27th 06 02:34 PM
Under-Floor Heating temperatures (and Karndean) Tournifreak UK diy 4 January 29th 06 10:00 AM