Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source for old wallpaper?

Is there a good UK source for out-of-date (but not antique) wallpaper?
Google only seems to throw up US (and hugely expensive) suppliers. Ideally,
I'd like to match this pattern:

http://tinyurl.com/9tjxajj

which I think must have been hung in the late seventies. I don't care if
it's white or coloured, since it will be painted to match the existing area.

Many thanks,

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Is there a good UK source for out-of-date (but not antique) wallpaper?

I suspect it'll depend if it came from the wallpaper equivalent of Royal
Doulton, or Poundland. I did some looking into 80s paper a while back and
drew a blank.

Maybe there's some way to duplicate the pattern and get some replacement
made up? It's only the texture you care about, after all.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2012 12:19, Bert Coules wrote:
Is there a good UK source for out-of-date (but not antique) wallpaper?
Google only seems to throw up US (and hugely expensive) suppliers.
Ideally, I'd like to match this pattern:

http://tinyurl.com/9tjxajj

which I think must have been hung in the late seventies. I don't care
if it's white or coloured, since it will be painted to match the
existing area.

Many thanks,

Bert

Dunno, but eBay for anaglypta gets 182 patterns to search through,
probably worth searching for embossed or patterned as well.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Is there a good UK source for out-of-date (but not antique) wallpaper? Google
only seems to throw up US (and hugely expensive) suppliers. Ideally, I'd like
to match this pattern:

http://tinyurl.com/9tjxajj

which I think must have been hung in the late seventies. I don't care if it's
white or coloured, since it will be painted to match the existing area.

Many thanks,

Bert

That looks like an anaglypta.

All wallpaper shops should stock them or at least have a book
you can order them from

The same kind of textured paper is also sold under the Lincrusta brand.

You may be in luck as many patterns for heavily textured papers
haven't changed since Victorian times - to look at them any way.

here's a link to Google images of anaglyptas

http://tinyurl.com/blqmh35

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Adams wrote:

All wallpaper shops should stock them or at least have a book
you can order them from

But wallpaper shops seem to be extremely thin on the ground these days (or
is it just in my area?). B&Q and Homebase stock wallpaper, and the former
actually has a decent selection of textured whites (though not specifically
labeled "Anaglypta") but nothing even close to what I'm after.

Thanks for the thought, though, and the Google link - I haven't found a
match there either, sadly. But I'll keep searching.

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Is there a good UK source for out-of-date (but not antique) wallpaper?
Google only seems to throw up US (and hugely expensive) suppliers.
Ideally, I'd like to match this pattern:

http://tinyurl.com/9tjxajj

which I think must have been hung in the late seventies. I don't
care if it's white or coloured, since it will be painted to match the
existing area.

It's not anaglypta, it's a blown vinyl and I'm fairly sure it's still made.
A blown vinyl has polystyrene 'blown' onto it during manufacture - the
raised 'fans' in your paper are polystyrene.

Look through your local directories and find paint and wallpaper supplies -
stay away from the sheds as they are useless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote:

It's not anaglypta, it's a blown vinyl and I'm fairly sure it's still
made.

Ah, that's encouraging, thanks, and the correct technical term is useful to
know. I've now located an establishment which claims to be the best
wallpaper shop in Kent ("50,00 rolls and over 300 pattern books to choose
from") and I've emailed them my sample photo. I might be lucky...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote:

It's not anaglypta, it's a blown vinyl and I'm fairly sure it's still
made.

Ah, that's encouraging, thanks, and the correct technical term is useful
to know. I've now located an establishment which claims to be the best
wallpaper shop in Kent ("50,00 rolls and over 300 pattern books to choose
from") and I've emailed them my sample photo. I might be lucky...

I live in Kent, any chance of posting the link to the site?

I have some ceiling paper that I need one roll of, it's only a decade old
but can't find a supplier and ceilings are a bastid to paper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nthkentman wrote:

I live in Kent, any chance of posting the link to the site?

It's Astra Décor in Sittingbourne: http://www.astradecor.co.uk/

Good luck with your ceiling paper.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I emailed Astra Décor with a pic of the paper I'm trying to match, but
over a week later I still haven't received an acknowledgement, let alone a
reply.

So it seems that they're not "the best wallpaper shop in Kent" after all.

Bert

What's this under the wallpaper? mike[_7_] UK diy 9 May 2nd 12 04:38 PM
Wallpaper Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 13 May 5th 10 03:15 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
Wallpaper alexbartman UK diy 2 May 10th 05 05:51 PM
wallpaper?!! dazednotconfused UK diy 0 March 31st 05 01:30 AM