Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's this under the wallpaper?

Started stripping some wallpaper prior to redecoration and discovered
what looks like tin foil on the walls:

Wide shot:

http://i49.tinypic.com/xkogv6.jpg

Close-up:

http://i45.tinypic.com/kdtjyh.jpg

Three layers of paper just peeled off it without even being wetted,
which seems a bit of an odd feature in a lining paper / base layer.

It's a 1930's house. I don't think the "tin foil" extends beyond the
chimney breast. Judging by the oldest layer of paper (that grey one
on either side of the chimney breast), I'd say the "foil" has been
there some considerable time.

Anyone any idea what it is / why it was put there? And what the black
stuff underneath it is? The black stuff feels waxy although it
doesn't rub off on your fingers so I don't know whether the waxiness
is residual paste from the "foil".

Thanks for any info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2012 17:37, mike wrote:

It's a 1930's house. I don't think the "tin foil" extends beyond the
chimney breast. Judging by the oldest layer of paper (that grey one
on either side of the chimney breast), I'd say the "foil" has been
there some considerable time.

Foil backed plasterboard to control mould growth?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
[...]

Without looking, I can tell you that it's a damp proofing measure.
If the house has been chemically damp proofed, it can be removed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 1, 6:00*pm, Adrian C wrote:

Foil backed plasterboard to control mould growth?

Adrian C

No, it's original plaster black stuff tin foil. No plasterboard
in sight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 1, 6:01*pm, "Phil L" wrote:

Without looking, I can tell you that it's a damp proofing measure.
If the house has been chemically damp proofed, it can be removed

It's an upstairs bedroom, internal wall that faces the adjoining
semi. And the house has a physical dpc from when it was built. Why
would an upstairs chimney breast be damp proofed? The fire is
obviously unused but it just has newspaper / some cardboard up there
to minimise the draft: I would've though there was sufficient residual
airflow to ventilate the chimney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 1, 6:30*pm, mike wrote:
On May 1, 6:01*pm, "Phil L" wrote:

Without looking, I can tell you that it's a damp proofing measure.
If the house has been chemically damp proofed, it can be removed

It's an upstairs bedroom, internal wall that faces the adjoining
semi. *And the house has a physical dpc from when it was built. *Why
would an upstairs chimney breast be damp proofed? *The fire is
obviously unused but it just has newspaper / some cardboard up there
to minimise the draft: I would've though there was sufficient residual
airflow to ventilate the chimney.

I once heard someone advocate foil on chimney breast to prevent soot
stains from coming through the bricks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:
On May 1, 6:30 pm, mike wrote:
On May 1, 6:01 pm, "Phil L" wrote:

Without looking, I can tell you that it's a damp proofing measure.
If the house has been chemically damp proofed, it can be removed

It's an upstairs bedroom, internal wall that faces the adjoining
semi. And the house has a physical dpc from when it was built. Why
would an upstairs chimney breast be damp proofed? The fire is
obviously unused but it just has newspaper / some cardboard up there
to minimise the draft: I would've though there was sufficient residual
airflow to ventilate the chimney.

I once heard someone advocate foil on chimney breast to prevent soot
stains from coming through the bricks.

I've certainly used bitumen paint to stop rainwater getting through

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2012 18:30, mike wrote:
On May 1, 6:01 pm, "Phil wrote:

Without looking, I can tell you that it's a damp proofing measure.
If the house has been chemically damp proofed, it can be removed

It's an upstairs bedroom, internal wall that faces the adjoining
semi. And the house has a physical dpc from when it was built. Why
would an upstairs chimney breast be damp proofed? The fire is
obviously unused but it just has newspaper / some cardboard up there
to minimise the draft: I would've though there was sufficient residual
airflow to ventilate the chimney.

Why it was used I don't know, but it's damp-proofing lining foil - still
available:

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...0m-x-54cm.html

I used it in the distant past on a ground-floor chimney breast showing
signs of mild damp - worked well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies, guys. It's obviously some damp / stain
block then. Wasn't expecting that upstairs but there you go...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 May 2012 10:30:51 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

Why would an upstairs chimney breast be damp proofed?

Damp doesn't only come up or from condesation. It can also come down
from a poor roof, flashings or stack. Inside a building on the party
wall with the other semi I'd not like to trap the damp in the
structure with a membrane such as that but stop it getting in in the
first place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Wallpaper Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 13 May 5th 10 03:15 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
Wallpaper! Andy & Carol Home Repair 10 March 23rd 06 12:16 AM
Wallpaper alexbartman UK diy 2 May 10th 05 05:51 PM
wallpaper?!! dazednotconfused UK diy 0 March 31st 05 01:30 AM