Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bib Tap - small screw

I have just replaced a bib tap outside the house. I notice that both the
one that I took off and the new one have a small screw on the underside
of the tap near to where it connects to the supply.

Removing this screw reveals a small O ring around the screw and hole to
the water inlet.

But what is it for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:11:25 +0100, Andrew May
wrote:

I have just replaced a bib tap outside the house. I notice that both the
one that I took off and the new one have a small screw on the underside
of the tap near to where it connects to the supply.

Removing this screw reveals a small O ring around the screw and hole to
the water inlet.

But what is it for?

Perhaps to drain the tap/pipe for cold spells.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:40:11 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Removing this screw reveals a small O ring around the screw and hole
to the water inlet.

But what is it for?

Perhaps to drain the tap/pipe for cold spells.

You could just open the tap. But some Bib taps have a built in double
check valve this could be to drain the bit between the two valves.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 11:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:40:11 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Removing this screw reveals a small O ring around the screw and hole
to the water inlet.

But what is it for?

Perhaps to drain the tap/pipe for cold spells.

You could just open the tap. But some Bib taps have a built in double
check valve this could be to drain the bit between the two valves.

That would make sense although I have a feeling that one did have a
non-return valve and the other did not.

It was the failure of the non-return bit that prompted its replacement.
A little O ring that seals it closed was coming loose and I was bu**ered
if I could find a way of getting it all apart to replace it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:49:36 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

You could just open the tap. But some Bib taps have a built in double
check valve this could be to drain the bit between the two valves.

This is what I believe it to be: to drain the non return valve.

I think it is preferable to use a tap without a valve and install a
check valve inside the house to minimise the chances of it freezing?
At least, that's what I have done. The taps without an integral check
valve (ime, ymmv, etc) do not have this drain nut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You could just open the tap. But some Bib taps have a built in double
check valve this could be to drain the bit between the two valves.

This is what I believe it to be: to drain the non return valve.

It's also to check that both sides of the double check valve
are working (like you do;-). Without access between the two
valves, you can't test they both still work.

I think it is preferable to use a tap without a valve and install a
check valve inside the house to minimise the chances of it freezing?

That is the requirement nowadays - the double check valve must
be indoors, as they are otherwise silently destroyed by the first
frost.

At least, that's what I have done. The taps without an integral check
valve (ime, ymmv, etc) do not have this drain nut.

Fitted one for my brother a couple of weeks ago, and used a
separate double check valve on the indoor pipework. The
brass casting for the tap had a bulge where the access nut
would be, but it wasn't machined out.

The ones on double check valves usually have fibre washers
IME. Not seen one with an O-ring like the OP's.

--
Andrew Gabriel