Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NiMH battery Q

I have a GP powerbank 4xAA charger which has worked fine on many
different NiMH batteries (charges each cell individually). I've just
picked up a set of Duracell 1700's which I put on charge for half a day
when I went out, only to come in and find the device still charging, and
the batteries quite warm. Is there something funny about Duracells?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
I have a GP powerbank 4xAA charger which has worked fine on many different
NiMH batteries (charges each cell individually). I've just picked up a set
of Duracell 1700's which I put on charge for half a day when I went out,
only to come in and find the device still charging, and the batteries
quite warm. Is there something funny about Duracells?

Are the new Duracells much higher rating than your old cells?

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 9:29*pm, newshound wrote:
I have a GP powerbank 4xAA charger which has worked fine on many
different NiMH batteries (charges each cell individually). I've just
picked up a set of Duracell 1700's which I put on charge for half a day
when I went out, only to come in and find the device still charging, and
the batteries quite warm. Is there something funny about Duracells?

whats the charger current
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:29, NT wrote:
On Aug 21, 9:29 pm, newshound wrote:
I have a GP powerbank 4xAA charger which has worked fine on many
different NiMH batteries (charges each cell individually). I've just
picked up a set of Duracell 1700's which I put on charge for half a day
when I went out, only to come in and find the device still charging, and
the batteries quite warm. Is there something funny about Duracells?

whats the charger current

Not measured it but it says 2.3A. Don't know if this is shared between
the cells or if it goes through each of them in turn.

The cells are only 1700, the charger copes ok with 2000 and 2400.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:52, newshound wrote:
On 22/08/2012 10:29, NT wrote:
On Aug 21, 9:29 pm, newshound wrote:
I have a GP powerbank 4xAA charger which has worked fine on many
different NiMH batteries (charges each cell individually). I've just
picked up a set of Duracell 1700's which I put on charge for half a day
when I went out, only to come in and find the device still charging, and
the batteries quite warm. Is there something funny about Duracells?

whats the charger current

Not measured it but it says 2.3A. Don't know if this is shared between
the cells or if it goes through each of them in turn.

The cells are only 1700, the charger copes ok with 2000 and 2400.

Not sure if what I just wrote makes sense. You could envisage a charger
working two ways: with the cells in parallel, each being disconnected
when it decides they are charged, or in series, with each being
disconnected and replaced by a jumper when charged. I suppose the former
seems more likely, but the latter makes for a faster charge for a given
current source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:29, NT wrote:
[...]

If it delivers 2.3A split among 4 cells, 0.57A each, it would charge a
flat 1.7Ah cell fully in 1.7/0.57 = 3hrs, or a bit more given that
cells arent 100% efficient. If it cant charge your new cells, and is
designed to charge NiMH rather than NiCd, then the cells are faulty.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:29, NT wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The cells appear to be charged as indicated by the voltage under
load, although I havn't cycled them yet. So it looks as if a charger
which is still working fine on other batteries is not, for some reason,
sensing the Duracells correctly. So I was wondering if anyone else had
experience like this. It is definitely a NiMH charger, and the batteries
are labelled Duracell NiMH, and I've had stuff from BABZ before (and
they seem to have good feedback)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:29, NT wrote:

[...]

maybe they've been sold dodgy or fake batch, That happened to many PC and even Apple with capacitors and labtop batteries.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200...unterfeiting/5

And then there's fake alcohol to worry about ;-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:29, NT wrote:

[...]

Thanks, yes. This is a known problem in markets and pound shops, you
might expect a big eBay trader to be smarter. They were only a fiver so
no big deal, I will see how they behave. I was just interested because
prior to this that charger has taken everything I have thrown at it and
I find I get much more reliable life from cameras, radios, satnavs etc
when batteries have been "smart charged".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200...ds/1777/anti-c...

And then there's fake alcohol to worry about ;-o

Thanks, yes. This is a known problem in markets and pound shops, you
might expect a big eBay trader to be smarter.

really?

They were only a fiver so
no big deal, I will see how they behave. I was just interested because
prior to this that charger has taken everything I have thrown at it and
I find I get much more reliable life from cameras, radios, satnavs etc
when batteries have been "smart charged".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 06:39:32 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

maybe they've been sold dodgy or fake batch, That happened to many PC and even Apple with capacitors and labtop batteries.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200...unterfeiting/5

And then there's fake alcohol to worry about ;-o

And the fake rubbers...
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200...unterfeiting/6