Posted to sci.electronics.repair
margarita

Default rechargable NiMH battery question

I have a cordless phone, Plantronics model CT12, it uses a NiMH rechargeable
battery.

They want $25-$30 for a replacement at most places around town or online for
a no-name chinese replacement of this chinese made battery, it's only part
number is 63421-01

This battery appears to be nothing special at all, it looks like a typical
3.6V, 800mAh NiMH battery with 3 wires, white, red, black in that order.

can I not match up the connector to some $8 replacement 3.6V NiMH battery
from Wal-Mart that has 3 similar colored wires in the same configuration?

what do I need to be cognizant of, in trying a more common replacement
cross?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Margarita,

There are five basic things to consider when using a generic alternative
battery:

1. Physical size - make sure it will fit into the space allotted
2. Connector type - make sure it is the same so it will mate properly
3. Polarity - Make sure that the polarity is correct. Don't just rely on
wire colors
4. Voltage - DC voltage same
5. Capacity - mAh rating same or higher

Not sure of the why you have a third wire (probably the white one) since
only two are needed to supply the single DC voltage. I'd suspect it could
be for accurate voltage sensing at the battery or for the charging circuit.
Good luck. You should not have a problem finding a replacement, especially
if the phone isn't too old.

Bob