Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Condensate from boiler

I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then i'm
struggling for ideas of what to do with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then i'm
struggling for ideas of what to do with it.

Mine is joined into the waste pipe from the handbasin. I'd not be happy
about connecting it directly to the toilet waste pipe in case the
connection were to start leaking.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

the toilet overflow doesn't have seals, it's solvent weld, same as the
condensate pipe

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then
i'm struggling for ideas of what to do with it.

It's supposed to go directly into the waste, although mine runs into the
gutter below, directly over the outlet into the downpipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2012 12:01, R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Into the cistern would not be my first choice - it will cause it to
overflow continuously. Changing the WC connector to one with a waste
pipe entry port would be better.

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste?

Yup.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 12:01*pm, R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then i'm
struggling for ideas of what to do with it.

It should make effective toiler cleaner & descaler, fwiw.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2012 16:55, NT wrote:
On Aug 19, 12:01 pm, R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then i'm
struggling for ideas of what to do with it.

It should make effective toiler cleaner & descaler, fwiw.

NT

It won't affect any seals, it might tend to corrode any metal in the
cistern (a wire link was commonly used between the lever and the piston
at one time). It might not be acidic enough to descale anything, after
all it is only carbonic acid (sulphur content of gas is very low). I
wouldn't do it because of the overflow issue. Cistern overflows are
normally arranged to be visible so that a valve failure is a "revealed
fault".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 5:15*pm, newshound wrote:
[...]

Putting weak acids in the cistern is not a good idea, in the pan is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2012 15:39, Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

the toilet overflow doesn't have seals, it's solvent weld, same as the
condensate pipe

Something else to consider is if its the type with a separate overflow
(rather than the more modern ones that overflow into the pan), many of
these pass straight through a wall. Even if they they empty somewhere
there is a drain, they are too narrow to prevent freezing in the winter.
Hence boiler condensate discharging through this may just result in a
frozen overflow and a flooded room.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:58:14 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 19/08/2012 12:01, R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Into the cistern would not be my first choice - it will cause it to
overflow continuously. Changing the WC connector to one with a waste
pipe entry port would be better.

Well then i'll probably fire it outside and connect it into the stack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2012 12:01, R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Into the cistern would not be my first choice - it will cause it to
overflow continuously. Changing the WC connector to one with a waste
pipe entry port would be better.

Well then i'll probably fire it outside and connect it into the stack.

Take it outside in a larger pipe then - say 32mm min rather than the
21mm that comes out of the boiler. Less likely to freeze that way.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then i'm
struggling for ideas of what to do with it.

"Man rushed to hospital after acid enema"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2012 12:01, R D S wrote:
I'm reading conflicting info about the condensate from boilers.

My easiest option would be to plumb it into the back of the toilet
cistern where it could, if necessary, go down the overflow through the
toilet. Would it get acidic enough to knacker the seals?

Are the authorities happy with it going into the waste? If not then i'm
struggling for ideas of what to do with it.

Best down the soil pipe. The heat from the sewer will keep it from
freezing in mid-winter