Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it true

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Oh the irony !

Considering the people involved in Polyticks seem to do little more than...
Attend meetings (Occasionally)
Sit around in offices being officious
Claim expenses for dwellings near the Houses of Parliament (Because they can
tax fiddle it)
Ponce as many freebies off anyone that wants to butter them up at "Campaign"
time
Promote themselves as "I'm better than you 'cos I'm an MP" and laud it about
whenever something immediately close to them ****es them off
and
Generally act as if their **** don't stink

I find the whole affair quite ridiculous

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2012 06:33, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Do I have to click on the link? I can't be bothered....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/08/2012 08:00, Nthkentman wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Oh the irony !

Considering the people involved in Polyticks seem to do little more than...
Attend meetings (Occasionally)
Sit around in offices being officious
Claim expenses for dwellings near the Houses of Parliament (Because they
can tax fiddle it)
Ponce as many freebies off anyone that wants to butter them up at
"Campaign" time
Promote themselves as "I'm better than you 'cos I'm an MP" and laud it
about whenever something immediately close to them ****es them off
and
Generally act as if their **** don't stink

I find the whole affair quite ridiculous

Well if you are going to rake in bucket loads of money you will work
your butt off (generally) eg senior managers/politicians etc. If you are
going to be treated like Sh.t for a minimum wage then I cant see too
many being enthusiastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2012 06:33, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Never EVER pay any attention to generalisations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2012 10:16, newshound wrote:
On 18/08/2012 06:33, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Never EVER pay any attention to generalisations.

Recently there was a program on TV about a company moving manufacturing
back from China to UK. As part of the scheme the owner sent a couple of
Brits to China to work in the factory there for a while and a couple
from China to UK, actually Liverpool. The Chinese were appalled at how
hard the Brits worked, so that make nonsense out of the MPs. so what is
new?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Yep.

Niall Ferguson's doco series on china had one manager in
a mining operation in africa who worked 7 days a week, with
no time off at all except for 3 days off for chinese new year.

He seemed to think it was perfectly normal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Moonraker" wrote in message ...

On 18/08/2012 10:16, newshound wrote:
On 18/08/2012 06:33, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Never EVER pay any attention to generalisations.

Recently there was a program on TV about a company moving manufacturing
back from China to UK. As part of the scheme the owner sent a couple of
Brits to China to work in the factory there for a while and a couple
from China to UK, actually Liverpool. The Chinese were appalled at how
hard the Brits worked, so that make nonsense out of the MPs. so what is
new?

I think you have to qualify that.

IIRC the Chinese were surprised at how many units per hour the Brits could
make, but the Chinese would routinely work more than twice the hours.

(and that compares well with my own experience of working with SE Asians in
software development)

Now, define "hard working"?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2012 06:33, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

It is certainly not true that we work some of the shortest hours. In
France, 35 hours is the statutory maximum, with no opt-out. The
politicians thought that would create more jobs, but it just resulted in
a shortage of skilled people.

As for low productivity, I view that as a problem of management. I
certainly never had problems getting good productivity from my workers,
but they got a share of the profits, based upon their individual (or for
some jobs team) output above a fairly easy minimum.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 11:59:56 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

As for low productivity, I view that as a problem of management.

Indeed. When I first read that, I thought "people in glass houses
shouldn't throw stones."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 06:33:34 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Coming from a bunch of ******* that have never had a remote experience
of real working life. Three months on a factory conveyor belt
shifting like crap off a shovel with some arsehole bellowing at them
all the time for shirt buttons should be a compulsory item for anyone
in a position of authority.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Coming from a bunch of ******* that have never had a remote experience
of real working life. Three months on a factory conveyor belt
shifting like crap off a shovel with some arsehole bellowing at them
all the time for shirt buttons should be a compulsory item for anyone
in a position of authority.

the problem is those workers are not the ones they are talking about.
They are talking about the ones in the council offices. Or the ones
manning the desks at the local NHS hospitals.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2012 11:49, tim..... wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message ...

[...]

A mate of mine is married to a Chink, his FIL is something like a
florist in HK, in his 70's and still working 6.5 days a week. Long days too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

It is certainly not true that we work some of the shortest hours. In
France, 35 hours is the statutory maximum, with no opt-out.

That's just plain wrong on the no opt out.

It isnt even the statutory maximum either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35-hour_workweek

The politicians thought that would create more jobs,

Corse it can.

but it just resulted in a shortage of skilled people.

It also saw more with jobs.

As for low productivity, I view that as a problem of management.

More fool you.

I certainly never had problems getting good productivity from my workers,

Depends entirely on how you define good productivity.

but they got a share of the profits, based upon their individual (or for
some jobs team) output above a fairly easy minimum.

And that's just not feasible with lots of work like the NHS or govt schools
for example.