Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Huw much will people pay?

I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a list.
She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at others and they
did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make their money
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2012 19:36, Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a list.
She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at others and they
did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make their money

My partner never noticeably looks at the prices, but she has an
encyclopaedic knowledge of the relative prices in different shops. I
expect she would look the way you describe if you saw her shopping, but
it would be a mistake to think that she didn't know to within a few
pence just how much her shopping was going to cost at the till.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 15/08/2012 19:36, Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman
armed with a list. She never looked at the price once.
I continued to look at others and they did the same.
Thats how Tescos and the like make their money

My partner never noticeably looks at the prices, but she
has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the relative prices in
different shops. I expect she would look the way you
describe if you saw her shopping, but it would be a
mistake to think that she didn't know to within a few
pence just how much her shopping was going to cost at the
till.

And you should *always* check that the special offers are
recognised at the till. Even the store staff get caught
out.

OH to cust. service 1 "These biscuits should have been
BOGOF" (bought six packs so another six free)

cust serv 1 "Oh are they? I'll just check"
cust serv 2 "Yes they are, I got 10 this morning"

OH to cust serv 1&2 "I've been charged full price"

cust serv 2 "Let me check, Oh so have I!"

John

--
John Mulrooney

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. BOGOF normally does, but buy 2 units
for X when 1 unit isn't less than X/2 doesn't, thats easy to spot. Less
so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960 Y/250.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Less so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960
Y/250.

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100 ml, so
this is in fact easy to decide between.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100 ml, so
this is in fact easy to decide between.

Yes they do, but when the product is on a 3fer2 offer, is the price per
100g the price for a single item, or the price if you take up the offer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:56:17 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Less so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960
Y/250.

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100
ml, so this is in fact easy to decide between.

Keyword "often". The special offer or even normal ones sometimes don't
and in the case "Buy two for..." it will be for 1 x 480g at Z rather than
the 2 x 480g at X offer...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2012 11:30 Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. BOGOF normally does, but buy 2 units
for X when 1 unit isn't less than X/2 doesn't, thats easy to spot. Less
so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960 Y/250.

It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per
pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose
they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)
significantly cheaper.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. [...]

Or that there are not two mutually incompatible 3-for-2 offers
going side by side, perhaps involving different sorts of the
same fruit, just to make it tricky to get right.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2012 11:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. BOGOF normally does, but buy 2 units
for X when 1 unit isn't less than X/2 doesn't, thats easy to spot. Less
so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960 Y/250.

It may be BOGOF in one store but often another store is selling the
single item at half the BOGOF price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roberts" wrote in message ...

I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a list.
She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at others and they
did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make their money
Robbie

I also wonder why people don't sort through the veg. Time after time I see
manky veg in the box on the top and find fresh stuff in the box underneath.

So guess which box I get my shopping from?

But someone must buy the manky stuff from the top, mustn't they?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

--------------------

I also wonder why people don't sort through the veg. Time after time I
see manky veg in the box on the top and find fresh stuff in the box
underneath.

So guess which box I get my shopping from?

But someone must buy the manky stuff from the top, mustn't they?

Well, no not necessarily, it will end up getting binned eventually
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a
list. She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at
others and they did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make
their money

Some people do not have to look at the price.

I have to.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a
list. She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at
others and they did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make
their money

Some people do not have to look at the price.

I have to.

--
Adam

I don't as I do not need to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with
a list. She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at
others and they did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make
their money

Some people do not have to look at the price.

I have to.

--
Adam

I don't as I do not need to.

Best way, let her decide what you can eat and how much it costs..

--
Adam