DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Huw much will people pay? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/345098-huw-much-will-people-pay.html)

Roberts August 15th 12 07:36 PM

Huw much will people pay?

I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a list.
She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at others and they
did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make their money
Robbie

Nightjar August 16th 12 12:06 AM

Huw much will people pay?

On 15/08/2012 19:36, Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a list.
She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at others and they
did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make their money

My partner never noticeably looks at the prices, but she has an
encyclopaedic knowledge of the relative prices in different shops. I
expect she would look the way you describe if you saw her shopping, but
it would be a mistake to think that she didn't know to within a few
pence just how much her shopping was going to cost at the till.

Colin Bignell

JTM August 16th 12 07:38 AM

Huw much will people pay?

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 15/08/2012 19:36, Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman
armed with a list. She never looked at the price once.
I continued to look at others and they did the same.
Thats how Tescos and the like make their money

My partner never noticeably looks at the prices, but she
has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the relative prices in
different shops. I expect she would look the way you
describe if you saw her shopping, but it would be a
mistake to think that she didn't know to within a few
pence just how much her shopping was going to cost at the
till.

And you should *always* check that the special offers are
recognised at the till. Even the store staff get caught
out.

OH to cust. service 1 "These biscuits should have been
BOGOF" (bought six packs so another six free)

cust serv 1 "Oh are they? I'll just check"
cust serv 2 "Yes they are, I got 10 this morning"

OH to cust serv 1&2 "I've been charged full price"

cust serv 2 "Let me check, Oh so have I!"

John

--
John Mulrooney

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 16th 12 11:30 AM

Huw much will people pay?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. BOGOF normally does, but buy 2 units
for X when 1 unit isn't less than X/2 doesn't, thats easy to spot. Less
so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960 Y/250.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] August 16th 12 11:56 AM

Huw much will people pay?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Less so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960
Y/250.

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100 ml, so
this is in fact easy to decide between.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

F[_2_] August 16th 12 11:58 AM

Huw much will people pay?

On 16/08/2012 11:30 Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. BOGOF normally does, but buy 2 units
for X when 1 unit isn't less than X/2 doesn't, thats easy to spot. Less
so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960 Y/250.

It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 16th 12 12:03 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:56:17 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Less so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960
Y/250.

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100
ml, so this is in fact easy to decide between.

Keyword "often". The special offer or even normal ones sometimes don't
and in the case "Buy two for..." it will be for 1 x 480g at Z rather than
the 2 x 480g at X offer...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Burns[_7_] August 16th 12 12:04 PM

Huw much will people pay?

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100 ml, so
this is in fact easy to decide between.

Yes they do, but when the product is on a 3fer2 offer, is the price per
100g the price for a single item, or the price if you take up the offer?

Chris J Dixon August 16th 12 12:24 PM

Huw much will people pay?

F wrote:

It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per
pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose
they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)
significantly cheaper.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

F[_2_] August 16th 12 12:46 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On 16/08/2012 12:24 Chris J Dixon wrote:

F wrote:

It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per
pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose
they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)
significantly cheaper.

There's usually some scales to weigh the loose ones on. Weigh the
pre-packed and compare.

whisky-dave[_2_] August 16th 12 12:51 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:03:47 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:56:17 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Less so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960

Y/250.

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100

ml, so this is in fact easy to decide between.

Keyword "often". The special offer or even normal ones sometimes don't

and in the case "Buy two for..." it will be for 1 x 480g at Z rather than

the 2 x 480g at X offer...

I noticed last week after I brought 2 shebas 2 for a pound in the pound shop sainsbury were doing them for ~65p each, sainsbury are now doing them 7 for £3.

I stood at the checkout at WH smit when they offered me some cheap chocolate Milka I think, I pointed out that sainsburys were doing it cheaper next door and I'm getting it from them.
I'll shoip is ASDA about 1 every 2 months as some of thier stuff is significanly cheaper but some is quite a bit more expensive.

But I haven;t the time to go into dozens of ships to check prices, I know what I buy and keep a mental note of the prices I'm expecting to see and react accordingly.

--

Cheers

Dave.

brass monkey August 16th 12 12:54 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:56:17 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Less so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960
Y/250.

Supermarket labels often show (in smaller print) price per 100g / 100
ml, so this is in fact easy to decide between.

Keyword "often". The special offer or even normal ones sometimes don't
and in the case "Buy two for..." it will be for 1 x 480g at Z rather than
the 2 x 480g at X offer...

--
Cheers
Dave.

In one case I found that the 2 for X was actually cheaper than the price of
one.
I didn't argue.

whisky-dave[_2_] August 16th 12 12:57 PM

Huw much will people pay?

F wrote:

It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per

100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per

pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose

they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)

significantly cheaper.

There's usually some scales to weigh the loose ones on. Weigh the

pre-packed and compare.

With banans that;s relatively easy as there's prety much only one sort.
But what do you do when comparing market stalls to supernmarkets, as the look quality differ. I've been told by vegatarians that the fruits and veg of stalls in my local walthmstow market are better tasting than the polsished and waxed version supermarkets sell in prepacked bags.

Then there's prepacked veg which is even more diffilut to decide on.
Should I buy teh specail offer mixed leaves at £1.20 or buy seprated items and throw 80% of it out as I won't eat it all in just one week.

Shoudl I buy a large loaf as it's cheaper per slice and have to bin 30% because it'll go mouldy....

Lifes just so difficult sometimes :-0

F[_2_] August 16th 12 02:07 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On 16/08/2012 12:57 whisky-dave wrote:

But what do you do when comparing market stalls to supernmarkets, as the look quality differ. I've been told by vegatarians that the fruits and veg of stalls in my local walthmstow market are better tasting than the polsished and waxed version supermarkets sell in prepacked bags.

That's easy. Based on experience, you buy from the market.

Then there's prepacked veg which is even more diffilut to decide on.

Given the choice, I don't buy pre-packed. You generally pay for the
pre-packing and they're often not as fresh as the loose veg.

Shoudl I buy a large loaf as it's cheaper per slice and have to bin 30% because it'll go mouldy....

Depends on the best before date as well as price. There's no point in
buying it at a lower price if it's out of date the next day.

tim..... August 16th 12 02:12 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know how WHS in the high street get away with their chocolate
pricing. Even when "on offer", it is still cheaper if you walk a few yards
down the road to whatever remains you have of a high street supermarket
(Iceland/Wilco where I live).

tim

tim..... August 16th 12 02:16 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"Roberts" wrote in message ...

I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a list.
She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at others and they
did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make their money
Robbie

I also wonder why people don't sort through the veg. Time after time I see
manky veg in the box on the top and find fresh stuff in the box underneath.

So guess which box I get my shopping from?

But someone must buy the manky stuff from the top, mustn't they?

tim

michael adams[_6_] August 16th 12 02:27 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"tim....." wrote in message
I don't know how WHS in the high street get away with their chocolate pricing.
Even when "on offer", it is still cheaper if you walk a few yards down the
road to whatever remains you have of a high street supermarket (Iceland/Wilco
where I live).

tim

Convenience. People buying a paper or a magazine at lunchtime will buy
a bar of chocolate at the same time regardless of the price.

Saying which I don't know why anyone would want to go into W.H.Smith
at all nowadays except for a free squint at the magazines. Whenever I've
been in one in the last few years there have always been long queues.
For me whenever any store introduces a snaking queueline its time
to look elsewhere

So again people who are willing to wait in line for five minutes to buy a
newspaper of a magazine, or just about anything they can buy
cheaper elsewhere - presumably have no sense of monetary values
either.

michael adams

whisky-dave[_2_] August 16th 12 04:14 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:07:40 PM UTC+1, F wrote:
On 16/08/2012 12:57 whisky-dave wrote:

But what do you do when comparing market stalls to supernmarkets, as the look quality differ. I've been told by vegatarians that the fruits and veg of stalls in my local walthmstow market are better tasting than the polsished and waxed version supermarkets sell in prepacked bags.

That's easy. Based on experience, you buy from the market.

It's not that easy, the market traders pack up by 4pm, I leave work at 5pm and it takes me 1 hour+ to get to the market. Of course I could go saturday morning and give up drinking friday night, :- I tend to get to bed about 4-5am but the last thing on my mind saturday morning is buying friut and veg, sasme as getting my post from the post office it's not the way I see spending my saturday mornings.
maybe when I'm older or married I'll do such things...
but presently a night out and sleeping in is much prefered to saving a few quid on the weeks friut and veg.

Then there's prepacked veg which is even more diffilut to decide on.

Given the choice, I don't buy pre-packed. You generally pay for the

pre-packing and they're often not as fresh as the loose veg.

True, but teh time saved and carrying the suff home, not that veg is heavy just bulky.

Shoudl I buy a large loaf as it's cheaper per slice and have to bin 30% because it'll go mouldy....

Depends on the best before date as well as price. There's no point in

buying it at a lower price if it's out of date the next day.

I was just refering to in date. I buy out of date when availble.
But I dont; use bread everyday perhaps just at weekend so a small loaf generly last the weekend and till wednesday, when if in the fridge it gets dry.
Not a problem for toast.

whisky-dave[_2_] August 16th 12 04:21 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:27:32 PM UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message

I don't know how WHS in the high street get away with their chocolate pricing.

Even when "on offer", it is still cheaper if you walk a few yards down the

road to whatever remains you have of a high street supermarket (Iceland/Wilco

where I live).

tim

Convenience. People buying a paper or a magazine at lunchtime will buy

a bar of chocolate at the same time regardless of the price.

They are usually large women with kids in push chairs probbaly worth the quid to keep thier little brats quite for 5 mins.

Saying which I don't know why anyone would want to go into W.H.Smith

at all nowadays except for a free squint at the magazines. Whenever I've

been in one in the last few years there have always been long queues.

For me whenever any store introduces a snaking queueline its time

to look elsewhere

true, I use them for greetign cards and that's about it now. Used to look at the magazines I guess on-line stuff means it's less intresting and it's typically old news anyway. They used to have a good pen section I can;t remmeber the last time I brought a pen ;-)

So again people who are willing to wait in line for five minutes to buy a

newspaper of a magazine, or just about anything they can buy

cheaper elsewhere - presumably have no sense of monetary values

either.

Well teh Qs in smiths are far shorter than those in the poundshop, I really hate poundshops or is it the people in them.
Why buy a paper when they're showing free ones in your hand outsude the tube station... metro, evening standard,

michael adams

Jonathan August 16th 12 05:23 PM

Huw much will people pay?

F wrote:

[...]

Freeze half of it.

Jonathan

ARWadsworth August 16th 12 05:34 PM

Huw much will people pay?

Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a
list. She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at
others and they did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make
their money

Some people do not have to look at the price.

I have to.

--
Adam

F[_2_] August 16th 12 06:57 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On 16/08/2012 16:14 whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:07:40 PM UTC+1, F wrote:
On 16/08/2012 12:57 whisky-dave wrote:

But what do you do when comparing market stalls to supernmarkets,
as the look quality differ. I've been told by vegatarians that
the fruits and veg of stalls in my local walthmstow market are
better tasting than the polsished and waxed version supermarkets
sell in prepacked bags.

That's easy. Based on experience, you buy from the market.

presently a night out and sleeping in is much prefered to saving a
few quid on the weeks friut and veg.

I wasn't thinking of cost, more about the quality. Supermarket veg seems
to be almost tasteless and starts to rot almost as soon as you get it home.

ARWadsworth August 16th 12 07:58 PM

Huw much will people pay?

Owain wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:51 pm, whisky-dave wrote:
I noticed last week after I brought 2 shebas 2 for a pound in the
pound shop sainsbury were doing them for ~65p each,

Fray Bentos pies, £1 in poundland, £2.20 in Tesco.

What does the other stuff in poundland cost?

--
Adam

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 16th 12 08:13 PM

Huw much will people pay?

whisky-dave wrote:
in push chairs probbaly worth the quid to keep thier little brats quite
for 5 mins.

What I want to know is what happens to the kids when the pushchairs have
quite finished with them.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Mr Pounder[_2_] August 16th 12 08:18 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with a
list. She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at
others and they did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make
their money

Some people do not have to look at the price.

I have to.

--
Adam

I don't as I do not need to.

ARWadsworth August 16th 12 08:20 PM

Huw much will people pay?

Roberts wrote:
I used to wonder about this but then I noticed a woman armed with
a list. She never looked at the price once. I continued to look at
others and they did the same. Thats how Tescos and the like make
their money

Some people do not have to look at the price.

I have to.

--
Adam

I don't as I do not need to.

Best way, let her decide what you can eat and how much it costs..

--
Adam

Fredxx[_3_] August 16th 12 08:26 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On 16/08/2012 19:58, ARWadsworth wrote:
Owain wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:51 pm, whisky-dave wrote:
I noticed last week after I brought 2 shebas 2 for a pound in the
pound shop sainsbury were doing them for ~65p each,

Fray Bentos pies, £1 in poundland, £2.20 in Tesco.

What does the other stuff in poundland cost?

Some things cost 50p, 33.33p, and sub-multiples of £1. What did you
think they cost?

dennis@home August 16th 12 08:42 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

I wasn't thinking of cost, more about the quality. Supermarket veg seems
to be almost tasteless and starts to rot almost as soon as you get it
home.

You are buying it in the wrong supermarket.
My local ASDA has better, fresher veg than the local markets.
Its also cheaper most of the time.

One thing to remember is to avoid the organic stuff as it sits around
longer.

ARWadsworth August 16th 12 08:43 PM

Huw much will people pay?

Owain wrote:
On Aug 16, 8:20 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Best way, let her decide what you can eat and how much it costs..

Best not, not all SWMBOs are as well-behaved with money as Mrs
Pounder.

Does she charge a quid?

--
Adam

brass monkey August 16th 12 09:13 PM

Huw much will people pay?

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

I wasn't thinking of cost, more about the quality. Supermarket veg seems
to be almost tasteless and starts to rot almost as soon as you get it
home.

You are buying it in the wrong supermarket.
My local ASDA has better, fresher veg than the local markets.
Its also cheaper most of the time.

One thing to remember is to avoid the organic stuff as it sits around
longer.

That isn't my experience. ASDA cucumber don't seem to keep, the toms are
softish right off the shelf, peaches are like rocks until about day 5 when
they're rotten etc etc. Bananas are very good though. Things like
strawberries/blueberries I expect them to start flogging them singly soon
else we take the money in a wheelbarrow. AFAICS Tesco fruit/veg is even more
expensive.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 16th 12 10:10 PM

Huw much will people pay?

dennis@home wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

I wasn't thinking of cost, more about the quality. Supermarket veg
seems to be almost tasteless and starts to rot almost as soon as you
get it home.

You are buying it in the wrong supermarket.
My local ASDA has better, fresher veg than the local markets.
Its also cheaper most of the time.

One thing to remember is to avoid the organic stuff as it sits around
longer.

...hasnt been irradiated to kill the bugs.
Organic beansprouts killed more people than Fukushima.

[email protected] August 17th 12 12:28 AM

Huw much will people pay?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. [...]

Or that there are not two mutually incompatible 3-for-2 offers
going side by side, perhaps involving different sorts of the
same fruit, just to make it tricky to get right.

#Paul

chris French August 17th 12 01:44 AM

Huw much will people pay?

In message , tim.....
writes

--------------------

I also wonder why people don't sort through the veg. Time after time I
see manky veg in the box on the top and find fresh stuff in the box
underneath.

So guess which box I get my shopping from?

But someone must buy the manky stuff from the top, mustn't they?

Well, no not necessarily, it will end up getting binned eventually
--
Chris French

tim..... August 17th 12 08:54 AM

Huw much will people pay?

"Owain" wrote in message

On Aug 16, 12:51 pm, whisky-dave wrote:
I noticed last week after I brought 2 shebas 2 for a pound in the pound
shop sainsbury were doing them for ~65p each,

Fray Bentos pies, £1 in poundland, £2.20 in Tesco.

Tempted by this, offer I bought one.

I thought that there were over-priced at a quid, I'm really surprised that
they get repeat sales at 2 quid

tim

Mr Pounder[_2_] August 19th 12 03:26 PM

Huw much will people pay?

Owain wrote:
On Aug 16, 8:20 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Best way, let her decide what you can eat and how much it costs..

Best not, not all SWMBOs are as well-behaved with money as Mrs
Pounder.

Does she charge a quid?

--
Adam

Nope. She also drives as I appear to be losing my skills.

Man at B&Q August 19th 12 03:57 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On Aug 16, 12:24*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
F wrote:
It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per
pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose
they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)
significantly cheaper.

Look out for the Tesco "Everyday Value". One breakfast cereal I
compared was *identical* (Ingredient list and %, nutritional info,
RDAs, etc), but half the price of the normal Tesco brand.

MBQ

tim..... August 19th 12 05:35 PM

Huw much will people pay?

F wrote:
It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per
pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose
they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)
significantly cheaper.

Look out for the Tesco "Everyday Value". One breakfast cereal I
compared was *identical* (Ingredient list and %, nutritional info,
RDAs, etc), but half the price of the normal Tesco brand.

I guess you've not been watching "food factory".

They start out with identical ingredients, but then end results do not taste
the same

tim

alan August 19th 12 05:56 PM

Huw much will people pay?

On 16/08/2012 11:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:38:07 +0100, JTM wrote:

And you should *always* check that the special offers are recognised at
the till.

I find mostly they are what you do need to check is that the "special
offer" will actually save you money. BOGOF normally does, but buy 2 units
for X when 1 unit isn't less than X/2 doesn't, thats easy to spot. Less
so is an offer for 2 x 480g for X with 1 x 250g for Y when X/960 Y/250.

It may be BOGOF in one store but often another store is selling the
single item at half the BOGOF price.

chris French August 20th 12 06:46 PM

Huw much will people pay?

In message , tim.....
writes

F wrote:
It's also worth checking that a larger size really is cheaper per
100g/1l than a smaller size.

Harder to spot is stuff like bananas - pre-packs are priced per
pack (hence per item), with no weight indicated, whilst loose
they are priced by weight, and generally (though not universally)
significantly cheaper.

Look out for the Tesco "Everyday Value". One breakfast cereal I
compared was *identical* (Ingredient list and %, nutritional info,
RDAs, etc), but half the price of the normal Tesco brand.

I guess you've not been watching "food factory".

They start out with identical ingredients, but then end results do not
taste the same

some years ago I bought some 'new' own brand Cornflakes from Safeway
(that dates the story).

But they weren't very good. So much so that I didn't want to eat them,
and I bothered to take the packets back to the store as they did this
refund double your money thing.

always been a bit wary of 'value' stuff since. some can be fine, others
is pretty crap
--
Chris French

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 20th 12 06:58 PM

Huw much will people pay?

chris French wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

F wrote:
[...]

Oddly enough I bought some Waitrose 'essential cornflakes' They are the
best I have ever had.