Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable to shed - what type?

Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider
capacity of the cable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, paulfoel scribeth thus
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider
capacity of the cable?

Armoured .. it seems the ideal answer.

Relatively compared to T&E and a duct that is...

Plenty of cable capacity guides around, theres one on the TLC website.

Should get a decent price from a local wholesaler. Try ringing round a
few ..

--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

paulfoel wrote:
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider
capacity of the cable?

Read

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

and please ask if there is anything that you are not sure of.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article
.com, paulfoel scribeth thus
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider
capacity of the cable?

Armoured .. it seems the ideal answer.

Relatively compared to T&E and a duct that is...

Plenty of cable capacity guides around, theres one on the TLC website.

Should get a decent price from a local wholesaler. Try ringing round a
few ..

The regulations specify armoured (or a duct at least as good as that,
mechanically).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.3.htm

Frankly T & E isn't greatly ideal from water ingress/mouse chewing and
will end up tripping RCDS so armoured ends up much the cheaper way.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical...able/cat830462

its only a quid a meter or so for light power levels. you can shove it
on its own RCD or RCBO and wire in in permanently
..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
paulfoel wrote:
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider
capacity of the cable?

Read

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

and please ask if there is anything that you are not sure of.

That wiki does not make the point that ONLY 'digger proof' conduit or
armoured cable is suitable for exterior use.

And you SHOULD have warning tape laid above it.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
paulfoel wrote:
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to
consider capacity of the cable?

Read

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

and please ask if there is anything that you are not sure of.

That wiki does not make the point that ONLY 'digger proof' conduit or
armoured cable is suitable for exterior use.

Is this a spade or a mechanical digger?

And you SHOULD have warning tape laid above it.

And the article can be updated to cover that point

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the help. Must admit some of the wiki stuff goes over
my head.

Anyway, a few more details of my plan.

RCD plug at one end in normal plug socket. Goes through wall to
waterproof plug socket on outside wall. Plug from this runs along side
of fence to shed (10m away) to shed at bottom of garden.
In through shed wall to double plug, running fluorescent light and
small freezer.

I think maybe I should have got armoured cable rather than pond cable
but anything else a problem here. I guess I need to keep an eye on RCD
plug to ensure its not tripping and turning freezer off is one thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That wiki does not make the point that ONLY 'digger proof' conduit or
armoured cable is suitable for exterior use.

Does it specify how big a digger?
There are some big diggers around that will go through any conduit you can
install without a crane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 12:23*pm, paulfoel wrote:
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider
capacity of the cable?

If you run bellwire inside garden hose, you'll get electricity and hot
water in the same pipe

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2012 17:29, NT wrote:

If you run bellwire inside garden hose, you'll get electricity and hot
water in the same pipe

LOL!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 7:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
On 12/08/2012 17:29, NT wrote:

If you run bellwire inside garden hose, you'll get electricity and hot
water in the same pipe

LOL!

I'm tempted to say use 90C rated cable for safety

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
paulfoel wrote:
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to
consider capacity of the cable?

Read

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

and please ask if there is anything that you are not sure of.

That wiki does not make the point that ONLY 'digger proof' conduit or
armoured cable is suitable for exterior use.

Is this a spade or a mechanical digger?

And you SHOULD have warning tape laid above it.

And the article can be updated to cover that point

No need, it already says it:

" Direct burial

Cables such as SWA are suitable for direct burial. There are no hard
rules as to how deep a cable should be buried, but the depth should be
appropriate for the situation. Under a path this may be as little as
400mm, but could rise to 700mm or more under part of a garden that may
be "dug over". The cable trench should be cleared of any sharp stones
that may damage the cable insulation. If this is not easy to achieve,
then a lining of sharp sand or pea shingle can be laid in the trench first.

**** After backfilling the trench the first 150mm, a PVC "Cable Below"
tape should be laid before the rest of the trench is backfilled. ****

That way anyone digging too close to the cable will hit the warning tape
before hitting the cable. "

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2012 15:39, paulfoel wrote:

Thanks for all the help. Must admit some of the wiki stuff goes over
my head.

Might be handy if you let us know which bits - perhaps we can refine the
wiki to make it simpler to understand?

Anyway, a few more details of my plan.

RCD plug at one end in normal plug socket. Goes through wall to
waterproof plug socket on outside wall. Plug from this runs along side
of fence to shed (10m away) to shed at bottom of garden.
In through shed wall to double plug, running fluorescent light and
small freezer.

Is the light hard wired or just plugged in?

I think maybe I should have got armoured cable rather than pond cable
but anything else a problem here.

Since it will be exposed, there are two main considerations...
protecting it from mechanical damage, and protecting from UV if it is
liable to degradation sue to exposure. Chances are the latter is not a
problem with the pond cable since its probably designed with outdoor UV
exposure in mind (at least I would certainly hope so!)

Fixing to a fence ought to keep it out of the way, but if you are
concerned that it could be vulnerable to impact damage then a section of
conduit ought to be used to give extra protection.

I guess I need to keep an eye on RCD
plug to ensure its not tripping and turning freezer off is one thing.

So long as the shed is not damp then that is relatively unlikely with
one that and a light on it.

Have you checked if the circuit you are proposing to plug it into is
already RCD protected? If it is, then a second one will not add any
value, and won't even necessarily protect the house from tripping should
a fault occur.

A RCD spur rather than a plug may be a neater solution in the house to
prevent the freezer getting turned off by accident should someone unplug
your supply to do the vacuuming!

Third one down:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...D#Types_of_RCD

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2012 17:26, dennis@home wrote:

That wiki does not make the point that ONLY 'digger proof' conduit or
armoured cable is suitable for exterior use.

Does it specify how big a digger?

;-)

Yes, I am assuming he means man with spade here, since I doubt there is
any cable armour that is going to protect it from a 24 tone excavator!

There are some big diggers around that will go through any conduit you
can install without a crane.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2012 17:29, NT wrote:

If you run bellwire inside garden hose, you'll get electricity and hot
water in the same pipe

LOL!

I'm tempted to say use 90C rated cable for safety

and rubber hose to be sure to be sure!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2012 01:34, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Not entirely sure but believe it is not considered good practice to run
cables along fences in case they collapse
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 13, 1:45*am, Hugh - in either England or Spain
wrote:
[...]

indeed, i gather ts not compliant. Freezers are safer not on an RCD,
but outdoor wiring generally needs one anyway.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2012 01:45, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
[...]

Its not - ideally you should not fix cables to "temporary" structures.
However lots of people do it, and depending in the fence and where
fitted, is not necessarily that bad... (e.g. along top of gravel boards
ok, along top of wafty falling down feather edge fence, not good!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes

A RCD spur rather than a plug may be a neater solution in the house to
prevent the freezer getting turned off by accident should someone unplug
your supply to do the vacuuming!

Third one down:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...D#Types_of_RCD

Agreed, it happens all the time.

Also, IME fixed installation type RCDs are better made and less prone to
false tripping than plug-in types. I was worried about water ingress on
a new cable run to a greenhouse as a plugtop RCD was tripping
occasionally (once a month or so), replaced it with a mini consumer unit
with RCD and it has been trip free for a year. I just don't thing
they're any good for permanent installations, certainly not feeding a
freezer.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

That means Wickes sheds must never have electricity to them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 04:23:47 -0700 (PDT), paulfoel wrote:

Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Is the "climate class" of fridge freezer suitable for use in a presumably
unheated shed?

With a single compressor fridge/freezer you may find that the freezer
part doesn't or not very well. This is because the compressor only runs
to keep the fridge bit cool, if the fridge part doesn't warm up often
enough (due to being in a cool enviroment) not enough cooling is applied
to the freezer part.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2012 17:29, NT wrote:

If you run bellwire inside garden hose, you'll get electricity and hot

water in the same pipe

LOL!

I'm tempted to say use 90C rated cable for safety

Isn't that used when you want a frost free lawn :-)

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:24:19 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 04:23:47 -0700 (PDT), paulfoel wrote: Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge freezer. Is the "climate class" of fridge freezer suitable for use in a presumably unheated shed? With a single compressor fridge/freezer you may find that the freezer part doesn't or not very well. This is because the compressor only runs to keep the fridge bit cool, if the fridge part doesn't warm up often enough (due to being in a cool enviroment) not enough cooling is applied to the freezer part. -- Cheers Dave.

It used to be (30 years ago) that some fridge/freezers were designed to work properly assuming that the fridge was opened from time to time. The (single) thermostat worked on the fridge temperature. If you left it closed for days on end then the freezer comparment gradually warmed up. One fix to this was to add a small electric heater inside the fridge...

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 1:24*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 04:23:47 -0700 (PDT), paulfoel wrote:
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge
freezer.

Is the "climate class" of fridge freezer suitable for use in a presumably
unheated shed?

With a single compressor fridge/freezer you may find that the freezer
part doesn't or not very well. This is because the compressor only runs
to keep the fridge bit cool, if the fridge part doesn't warm up often
enough (due to being in a cool enviroment) not enough cooling is applied
to the freezer part.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Sorry chest freezer not fridge freezer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the light hard wired or just plugged in?

Plugged in.

I think maybe I should have got armoured cable rather than pond cable
but anything else a problem here.

Since it will be exposed, there are two main considerations...
protecting it from mechanical damage, and protecting from UV if it is
liable to degradation sue to exposure. Chances are the latter is not a
problem with the pond cable since its probably designed with outdoor UV
exposure in mind (at least I would certainly hope so!)

Fixing to a fence ought to keep it out of the way, but if you are
concerned that it could be vulnerable to impact damage then a section of
conduit ought to be used to give extra protection.

No. It'll be out of the way so not too concerned about impact damage
(i.e behind bushes, alongside fence).

I guess I need to keep an eye on RCD
plug to ensure its not tripping and turning freezer off is one thing.

Have you checked if the circuit you are proposing to plug it into is
already RCD protected? If it is, then a second one will not add any
value, and won't even necessarily protect the house from tripping should
a fault occur.

Standard household plug socket. Do you mean RCD via my fuse box? Ummm.
Maybe. House is only 12 years old so does that help. I think it
probably is RCD protected then since toaster seems to trip the switch
occasionally.

A RCD spur rather than a plug may be a neater solution in the house to
prevent the freezer getting turned off by accident should someone unplug
your supply to do the vacuuming!

Plug socket is behind washing machine so not easily accessible
anyway...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2012 17:23, paulfoel wrote:

I guess I need to keep an eye on RCD
plug to ensure its not tripping and turning freezer off is one thing.

Have you checked if the circuit you are proposing to plug it into is
already RCD protected? If it is, then a second one will not add any
value, and won't even necessarily protect the house from tripping should
a fault occur.

Standard household plug socket. Do you mean RCD via my fuse box? Ummm.

Yup

Maybe. House is only 12 years old so does that help. I think it

Chances are it has a RCD then

probably is RCD protected then since toaster seems to trip the switch
occasionally.

The "switch" the toaster trips - has it got a test button on it?

If so, then that is a RCD. In which case you won't need a second.

(take a photo of the fuse box and post it somewhere we can have a look
if you are unsure)

Cable from damp shed Arthur51 UK diy 4 March 31st 10 08:39 PM
Broken BX type cable on machines GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 14 January 25th 10 06:49 PM
Armoured Cable for Shed mark UK diy 49 December 16th 09 08:00 PM
What is this cable type? Tony Bryer UK diy 16 May 21st 06 09:27 PM
Cable type for 12V garden lights [email protected] UK diy 9 September 15th 05 09:12 PM