Default Cable type for 12V garden lights

My requirement for extra low voltage (12VAC) garden cabling is as
follows:

Cores: 2 (red and black, or similar but not blue and brown), flexible.
Rating: 6A (max) @ 12V AC
Conductor resistance: 0.012 ohms per metre max.
Sheath: Suitable for outdoor use (e.g. polyethylene, rubber?)

Pro-Power manufacture a speaker cable (http://tinyurl.com/a96zr) which
is 62p/metre and has the right electrical ratings. However, it has a
PVC sheath which might not take too kindly to puddles (being
hygroscopic) or UV.

Can anyone kindly suggest an alternative source, please?

Lurch

On 14 Sep 2005 16:49:41 -0700, scrawled:

My requirement for extra low voltage (12VAC) garden cabling is as
follows:

Cores: 2 (red and black, or similar but not blue and brown), flexible.
Rating: 6A (max) @ 12V AC
Conductor resistance: 0.012 ohms per metre max.
Sheath: Suitable for outdoor use (e.g. polyethylene, rubber?)

OOI, where did all these very exact raqndom specifications come from?

Pro-Power manufacture a speaker cable (
http://tinyurl.com/a96zr) which
is 62p/metre and has the right electrical ratings. However, it has a
PVC sheath which might not take too kindly to puddles (being
hygroscopic) or UV.

Well, anything 12V at my house is sort of lashed in with anything
conductive. I am a fully qualified and time served electrical
contractor though!

Can anyone kindly suggest an alternative source, please?

Local electrical wholesaler. Depending on the exact application then
either some UV stabilised flexible cables or any cable of the correct
CSA run in conduit would do the job.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Lurch wrote:

OOI, where did all these very exact raqndom specifications come from?

I invented them. Started with the premise that garden lighting cable
should be identifiable, weatherproof and low resistance.

Local electrical wholesaler. Depending on the exact application then
either some UV stabilised flexible cables or any cable of the correct
CSA run in conduit would do the job.

My wholesalers (WF Electrical and Edmundson Electrical) just boggle
when I say UV-stabilised. Some rubber-sheathed flex with the old
non-harmonised colours would be good if I could get it in 4mm=B2

Chris Bacon

denbigh1974 wrote:
Pro-Power manufacture a speaker cable (http://tinyurl.com/a96zr) which
is 62p/metre and has the right electrical ratings. However, it has a
PVC sheath which might not take too kindly to puddles (being
hygroscopic)

Really? I had no idea.
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
My requirement for extra low voltage (12VAC) garden cabling is as
follows:

Cores: 2 (red and black, or similar but not blue and brown), flexible.
Rating: 6A (max) @ 12V AC
Conductor resistance: 0.012 ohms per metre max.
Sheath: Suitable for outdoor use (e.g. polyethylene, rubber?)

No one told you red and black is obsolete and getting hold of it nowadays is
like finding hens teeth?

Pro-Power manufacture a speaker cable (http://tinyurl.com/a96zr) which
is 62p/metre and has the right electrical ratings. However, it has a
PVC sheath which might not take too kindly to puddles (being
hygroscopic) or UV.

Where did you get the bit about PVC being hygroscopic? Perhaps we should
tell all the big cable manufacturers to stop using it for all the miles of
cable which is in use underground all over the world. UV isn't normally a
problem for colours other than translucent or very pale shades. Black is to
be preferred.

Can anyone kindly suggest an alternative source, please?

I'd suggest you go ahead with what you have found. Enclose in a protective
tube if you arent convinced its mechanically strong enough

Frank Erskine

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:25:54 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

ITYF that most underground cable is sheathed with polyethylene.

--
Frank Erskine
dave stanton

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:25:54 +0000, John wrote:

No one told you red and black is obsolete and getting hold of it nowadays is
like finding hens teeth?

Only for mains 240V, he is using 12Volts. Black and red still used in cars
etc for 12 volts.

Dave

John

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:25:54 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Standard PVC armoured cable is designated as PVC/PVC/SWA/PVC - Doesn't make
mention of anything other than PVC and Steel Wire Armouring on the
conductors.

YMMV