Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Cable clip

Input welcome

NT

Cable clip

[[image:Cable clips 0963-2.jpg|300px]]

Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips are no
longer regs compliant.

[[Cable]] clip [[nail]]s are hardened, and usually go into masonry ok.
If getting them in proves impossible, pin plugs may be used. These are
small non-hollow [[wallplug]]s designed for pins. Or any type of resin
[[glue]] can go into the masonry holes instead.

Orange clips are used for [[fire]] alarm cable.

Maximum permitted distance between clips is:
* vertical [[cable]] run:
* horizontal cable run:

mortar v brick

==Other types==
;P clip
:metal strap that wraps round the cable, sleeved with plastic, hole at
each end of strap for a single fixing. Mainly used with pyro. Much
more fire resistant than plastic clips.

;Buckle clip
:thin metal strap with a slot in a wider bit at one end, and a nail
through the middle. Seldom used now.

;? name, 2 nail clip
:same as the standard plastic cable clip, but one nail on each side of
the cable.

==See also==
*[[Cable]]
*[[:Category:Fixings]]

[[Category:Basics]]
[[Category:Electrical]]
[[Category:Fixings]]
? fire, tv
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable clip

Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips are no
longer regs compliant.

JOOI can you please point me to where in the regs? (I ask in part as I
saw the old-style, brass clips being used recently in a house to clip
cables to beams.)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 7:22*pm, "Robin" wrote:
Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips are no
longer regs compliant.

JOOI can you please point me to where in the regs? *(I ask in part as I
saw the old-style, brass clips being used recently in a house to clip
cables to beams.)

No, hopefully someone else here that knows the regs better will answer

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:22 pm, "Robin" wrote:
Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips
are no longer regs compliant.

JOOI can you please point me to where in the regs? (I ask in part
as I saw the old-style, brass clips being used recently in a house
to clip cables to beams.)

No, hopefully someone else here that knows the regs better will answer

To be fair, it is you that is is claiming that this is a reg. It's not one I
have ever heard of.

If you cannot suggest a reg to back your claim up then there is no chance of
anyone else suggesting another reg that says metal clips are OK.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 9 Aug,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:22 pm, "Robin" wrote:
Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips
are no longer regs compliant.

JOOI can you please point me to where in the regs? (I ask in part
as I saw the old-style, brass clips being used recently in a house
to clip cables to beams.)

No, hopefully someone else here that knows the regs better will answer

To be fair, it is you that is is claiming that this is a reg. It's not one
I have ever heard of.

If you cannot suggest a reg to back your claim up then there is no chance
of anyone else suggesting another reg that says metal clips are OK.

Probably harking back to the 15th? edition where everything metallic had to
be earthed (or some interpretations of such demanded). The extra cost of
running 2.5mm G/Y to each cable clip would make it uneconomic.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 12:16*am, wrote:
On 9 Aug,
* * *"ARWadsworth" wrote:

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:22 pm, "Robin" wrote:
Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips
are no longer regs compliant.

JOOI can you please point me to where in the regs? (I ask in part
as I saw the old-style, brass clips being used recently in a house
to clip cables to beams.)

No, hopefully someone else here that knows the regs better will answer

To be fair, it is you that is is claiming that this is a reg. It's not one
I *have ever heard of.

If you cannot suggest a reg to back your claim up then there is no chance
of *anyone else suggesting another reg that says metal clips are OK.

Probably harking back to the 15th? edition where everything metallic had to
be earthed (or some interpretations of such demanded). *The extra cost of
running 2.5mm G/Y to each cable clip would make it uneconomic.

ISTR buckle clips disappearing in the early 70s or before. I never did
see the sense in declaring 2 layers of cable insulation to be
inadequte where clipped.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , wrote:
On 9 Aug, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:22 pm, "Robin" wrote:
Cable clips for mains wiring must be insulated. All-metal clips
are no longer regs compliant.

JOOI can you please point me to where in the regs? (I ask in part
as I saw the old-style, brass clips being used recently in a house
to clip cables to beams.)

No, hopefully someone else here that knows the regs better will answer

To be fair, it is you that is is claiming that this is a reg. It's not
one I have ever heard of.

If you cannot suggest a reg to back your claim up then there is no
chance of anyone else suggesting another reg that says metal clips are
OK.

Probably harking back to the 15th? edition where everything metallic had
to be earthed (or some interpretations of such demanded). The extra cost
of running 2.5mm G/Y to each cable clip would make it uneconomic.

if we are going to that absurdity, surely the steel pin fixing the plastic
cable clip to the wall would also need to be earthed?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 5:29*pm, NT wrote:
Input welcome

NT

Latest version:

[[image:Cable clips 0963-2.jpg|300px]]

===Nails===
[[Cable]] clip [[nail]]s are hardened, and usually go into
[[masonry]]. If getting them in proves impossible, [http://
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categ...ammerfix-range pin
plugs] may be used. These are little [[wallplug]]s designed for pins.
Or any type of resin [[glue]] can go into masonry [[Drill bit|holes]]
instead.

===Spacing===
Maximum permitted distance between cable fixings:
*PVC cable upto 9mm dia: horizontal 25cm, vertical 40cm
*PVC cable 10-15mm dia: horizontal 30cm, vertical 40cm
*PVC cable 16-20mm dia: horizontal 35cm, vertical 45cm
*PVC cable 21-40mm dia: horizontal 40cm, vertical 55cm
*MICC upto 9mm dia: horizontal 60cm, vertical 80cm
*MICC 10-15mm dia: horizontal 90cm, vertical 1.2m
*MICC 16-20mm dia: horizontal 1.5m, vertical 2m

===Placement===
Consistent spacing looks much neater than spacing estimated by eye.
The quickest way is to cut a piece of card to the fit the space.

Mortar v brick

===Shapes===
Standard cable clips come in flat and round varieties. There are
slight differences in proportions between T&E, twin and 3&E clips.

===Colours===
As well as white & grey clips, orange is used with orange [[Smoke
Detectors|fire alarm]] cable.

==Other types==
;P clip
:metal strap that wraps round the cable, sleeved with [[plastic]],
hole at each end of strap for a single fixing. Mainly used with
[[Cable|pyro]]. Much more fire resistant than plastic clips.

;[http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...w.saren.co.uk/
cabletiesclips.htm&usg=AFQjCNGCzwsyWdr7m6U7IMy7s1X U_C8UwQ Buckle clip]
:thin [[metal]] strap with a slot in a wider bit at one end, and a
nail through the middle. Less visually instrusive than plastic clips.
Seldom used now.

;2 cable clip
:Much like a standard plastic cable clip, but fixes 2 [[cables] and
has 2 [[nails]], one on each side of the cables. Little seen.

==See also==
*[[Cable]]
*[[:Category:Fixings]]

[[Category:Basics]]
[[Category:Electrical]]
[[Category:Fixings]]
? fire, tv
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On 9 Aug, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:22 pm, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

Some people still make that claim after reading and misunderstanding reg
522.6.5 (ii)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 7:04*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On 9 Aug, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:22 pm, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

I've not seen anything about it in my OSG, can you tell us the
position with metal clips?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 5:29 pm, NT wrote:
Input welcome

NT

Latest version:

[...]

I wonder if it is worth mentioning that if a clip cannot be hammered into
the horizontal mortar joints they can still often be hammered into the
vertical joints

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 8:57*am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 5:29 pm, NT wrote:
Input welcome

NT

Latest version:

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categ...erfix-rangepin
[...]

didnt know that - do you know why? Less compaction?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

===Nails===
[[Cable]] clip [[nail]]s are hardened, and usually go into
[[masonry]]. If getting them in proves impossible, [http://
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categ...ammerfix-range pin
plugs] may be used. These are little [[wallplug]]s designed for pins.
Or any type of resin [[glue]] can go into masonry [[Drill bit|holes]]
instead.

I suggest you add re importance of eye protection when hammering
hardened nails. You could x-ref
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...#Masonry_Nails but worth
saying something by way of warning for those of us who can't whack it
right first time, every time.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
I wonder if it is worth mentioning that if a clip cannot be
hammered into the horizontal mortar joints they can still often be
hammered into the vertical joints

didnt know that - do you know why? Less compaction?

No idea. Maybe a question for a new thread.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

===Nails===

hardened nails. *You could x-refhttp://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Nails#Masonry_Nailsbut worth
saying something by way of warning for those of us who can't whack it
right first time, every time.

Masonry nails really do need eyewear, they're a bit vicious. But tiny
ones in plastic clips don't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 08:57, ARWadsworth wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 9, 5:29 pm, NT wrote:
Input welcome

NT

Latest version:

[...]

I would add the comment from Table 4A OSG about the dimension of the
major axis being taken as the diameter for flat cables such as T&E

I wonder if it is worth mentioning that if a clip cannot be hammered into
the horizontal mortar joints they can still often be hammered into the
vertical joints

Does seem to depend a bit on the bricky!

--
Cheers,

John.