Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uPVC door handles

Hello,

I was reading some old posts and saw a recommendation for Hoppe PAS24
door handles with integral cylinder protector. I have just had a new
door fitted and on the basis of what I read, I thought I would upgrade
the handles.

Unfortunately the holes in my door do not align with the holes in the
door handles. There are two bolt holes: one at the top and one at the
bottom of the handle to hold the inside and outside handles together.
When I try to fit the handle, the cylinder and bottom screw are
aligned but the top screw receptacle fouls the door frame: it is a few
mm out of alignment with the hole drilled in the door.

Can I enlarge the hole slightly with a file or would this affect the
integrity and security of the door?

Avocet cylinders were recommended in the other thread but does anyone
know anything about the Squire antisnap cylinders currently on offer
from CPC?
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/544713.xml

The prices seem very competitive and Squire is a name I have heard of.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Locks and handles for uPVC doors (and windows) usually have to come from
the same place IME because unlike timber the handle screws go right through
the locks. There seems to be no standards.
If you have Eurolocks, they have standard cylinders, seems to be the only
standard bits.
I suspect it is a ploy so you have to come to them for bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote...

Hello,

I was reading some old posts and saw a recommendation for Hoppe PAS24
door handles with integral cylinder protector. I have just had a new
door fitted and on the basis of what I read, I thought I would upgrade
the handles.

Unfortunately the holes in my door do not align with the holes in the
door handles. There are two bolt holes: one at the top and one at the
bottom of the handle to hold the inside and outside handles together.
When I try to fit the handle, the cylinder and bottom screw are
aligned but the top screw receptacle fouls the door frame: it is a few
mm out of alignment with the hole drilled in the door.

Can I enlarge the hole slightly with a file or would this affect the
integrity and security of the door?

Yes and no. Depending on the lock, the lock may also be a factor as the
securing bolts may pass through holes in the lock assembly and.

Avocet cylinders were recommended in the other thread but does anyone
know anything about the Squire antisnap cylinders currently on offer
from CPC?
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/544713.xml

The prices seem very competitive and Squire is a name I have heard of.

I wouldn't let a "brand" name influence me as many old brand names are
associated with cheaper, lower quality products nowadays.

The cylinders you linked to are basic models and, although snap
resistant, they do not have a hardened bar at the screw hole i.e. where
the retaining screw goes. This means that even when the sacrificial
front section is snapped off, it is still possible to break the centre
point at the screw hole and remove the cylinder.

Also, the prices quoted seem almost as much as an Avocet. Try

http://www.abbeyarchitectural.co.uk

One price regardless of size and excellent delivery. (Not connected to
them in any way).

--
Ilene
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I had to have replacement handles and the fitters I suspect widened one
hole and now every few weeks the screws seem to be loose and most of the
time the inside handle plate where the screw heads are is able to be moved
sideways a little and theis loosens the screws etc. its very irritating!

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

odd UPVC lock handles Jim K[_3_] UK diy 4 July 20th 15 11:14 AM
Replacement uPVC window handles. David Paste[_2_] UK diy 5 January 13th 11 09:47 AM
which door handles benpost UK diy 11 March 23rd 09 06:45 PM
Sticking an alarm door contact magnet to a UPVC door ARWadworth UK diy 8 May 18th 08 05:12 PM
Door handles Nel UK diy 3 May 8th 07 06:34 PM