Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yes..solar PV is officially still ****

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"Graham." wrote in message
m...

Why else would this piece of 1970s communications equipment be in the
JPL mission control this morning?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/7...ream/lightbox/

On a serious note, its because the VoIP stuff is cr@p and unreliable so
they
have at least one phone that will work in an emergency.

More Den bull .. we've gone VoIP on all lines and its fine, absolutely
excellent sound quality and much cheaper calls!...

Ever get around to the One or Two RCD answer;?..

Well given your stupidity on that issue I think I will consider your views
on VoIP as worthless.

So dense - either you are "sane" and the rest of the world (i.e. uk.d-i-y)
are stupid - you seem to have called most of the useful contributors here
that in your time

There is a big difference between telling someone they are being stupid and
them being stupid but you are too stupid to understand.
I expect the ones that think I have called them stupid are also really
stupid as they don't know the difference either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes but the sun is weak on Mars

Excuses.

You'll be telling me next that harrys solar panels work brilliantly at
night....

They're fine once the streetlights come on.

Be careful you will have harry going around putting mirrors on all the
street lights to get more light on his array.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
.com...

What makes you think that the aliens are affected adversely by
radioactivity, they might thrive on the stuff.

We probably wouldn't be here without radioactivity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Adrian C wrote:
"Curiosity is about twice as long and five times as heavy as NASA's two
previous Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, and its plutonium-powered
nuclear battery will provide the mobile laboratory with about 2.7 kWh
per day, far in excess of the 1 kWh per day maximum of the earlier
solar-powered rovers. The nuclear battery is also much longer-lasting
than the solar power systems used by the previous missions, and is
expected to last through the rover's planned operations and beyond,
providing the potential for the mission to be extended."

There's the beginings of life apparently on Mars. Well, they are looking
for it, and apart from hopeful dreams of finding tiny green aliens that
speak english the most probable find would be some very fragile micro
organism, or nothing.

Now wind the clock forward a million years or so. We here on earth will
have probably persished, but those organisms on mars may well develop
into self sustainable alien lifeforms. Tiny, maybe green, who knows?

However, somewhere in that distant future, some of them are going to
come across a decaying but still highly radioactive source and after the
visit suffer the indignity of being born with two heads and three arms.

Is this right? Do the aliens have rights not to have their cell
structures modified in that way? What if they discover time travel and
come back here to give us a telling off?

What makes you think that the aliens are affected adversely by
radioactivity, they might thrive on the stuff.

If you lived on Mars you'd have to thrive or die on it. With no significant
magnetic field the planet gets hit by a lot more solar radiation than ours.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

There is a big difference between telling someone they are being stupid
and them being stupid but you are too stupid to understand.
I expect the ones that think I have called them stupid are also really
stupid as they don't know the difference either.

As superb an example of cognitive dissonance as it is possible to get.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 22:28:19 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:13:45 +0100, Graham. wrote:
Why else would this piece of 1970s communications equipment be in the
JPL mission control this morning?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/7...ream/lightbox/

Backup, I'd assume - if it's running solely from the phone line then at
least it might be possible to get a call in/out even if network/power in
the room suddenly isn't available (which is most likely an extremely
remote possibility of course, but for the sake of having a phone and
having someone check it periodically to make sure it's operational, it's
not a big deal)

Ding.
or
Ting-a-ling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

There is a big difference between telling someone they are being stupid
and them being stupid but you are too stupid to understand.
I expect the ones that think I have called them stupid are also really
stupid as they don't know the difference either.

As superb an example of cognitive dissonance as it is possible to get.

Are you failing to understand too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2012 09:44, dennis@home wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes but the sun is weak on Mars

Excuses.

You'll be telling me next that harrys solar panels work brilliantly
at night....

They're fine once the streetlights come on.

Be careful you will have harry going around putting mirrors on all the
street lights to get more light on his array.

Just as well the panels are so inefficient, otherwise given the daft FiT
payments, it might actually pay to run a lamp to illuminate them!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

There is a big difference between telling someone they are being
stupid and them being stupid but you are too stupid to understand.
I expect the ones that think I have called them stupid are also really
stupid as they don't know the difference either.

As superb an example of cognitive dissonance as it is possible to get.

He will tell you that you are (being) stupid now ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

There is a big difference between telling someone they are being
stupid and them being stupid but you are too stupid to understand.
I expect the ones that think I have called them stupid are also
really stupid as they don't know the difference either.

As superb an example of cognitive dissonance as it is possible to get.

Are you failing to understand too?

No dennis, I understand perfectly.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 07/08/2012 09:44, dennis@home wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes but the sun is weak on Mars

Excuses.

You'll be telling me next that harrys solar panels work brilliantly
at night....

They're fine once the streetlights come on.

Be careful you will have harry going around putting mirrors on all the
street lights to get more light on his array.

Just as well the panels are so inefficient, otherwise given the daft FiT
payments, it might actually pay to run a lamp to illuminate them!

Actually if you could get a 100% effecient lamp it would be.

You can buy off peak leccy for 5-6p and you get 45-60p for solar
electricity..the panels are 25% efficient so any lamp capable of 50%
efficiency should make a profit..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 07/08/2012 09:44, dennis@home wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes but the sun is weak on Mars

Excuses.

You'll be telling me next that harrys solar panels work brilliantly
at night....

They're fine once the streetlights come on.

Be careful you will have harry going around putting mirrors on all the
street lights to get more light on his array.

Just as well the panels are so inefficient, otherwise given the daft
FiT payments, it might actually pay to run a lamp to illuminate them!

Actually if you could get a 100% effecient lamp it would be.

You can buy off peak leccy for 5-6p and you get 45-60p for solar
electricity..the panels are 25% efficient so any lamp capable of 50%
efficiency should make a profit..

In fact you could cut out a few middle men... nice big 30A bench PSU to
feed the grid tie inverter ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:13:45 +0100, Graham. wrote:
Why else would this piece of 1970s communications equipment be in the
JPL mission control this morning?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/7...ream/lightbox/

Backup, I'd assume - if it's running solely from the phone line then at
least it might be possible to get a call in/out even if network/power in
the room suddenly isn't available (which is most likely an extremely
remote possibility of course, but for the sake of having a phone and
having someone check it periodically to make sure it's operational, it's
not a big deal)

So why not use a modern POT for power fail contingency.

I wonder if it's there as an ornament, commemorating its use at some
time in the past, perhaps to report some successful outcome to a
president.
They like their traditions.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

dennis@home wrote:

There is a big difference between telling someone they are being stupid
and them being stupid but you are too stupid to understand.
I expect the ones that think I have called them stupid are also really
stupid as they don't know the difference either.

As superb an example of cognitive dissonance as it is possible to get.

Are you failing to understand too?

TNP just be told if you will that Den is the master stupid so he's gotta
be right geddit!.

Now just offer up a sacrifice to the deity right;?....
--
Tony Sayer