Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer spray contents

That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid nitrogen? All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time -- Marthe Troly-Curtin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote

That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen?

Nope, that can't be done at room temp.

All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Lieutenant Scott wrote

That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen?

Nope, that can't be done at room temp.

All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

Prolly some form of drinking duck with go-faster stripes.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sipping-Bird...3779097&sr=8-1
HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wib0pzfkytk5n5@i7-940...
That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen? All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

Jesus H Christ, 36 and nothing up top (with a degree).
Tetrafluoroethane if you'd get off your arse and look.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/commercial...g-system/11396
HINT: Safety Data Sheet (COSHH)
Normally, someone with a degree has the intelligence to seek information. It
doesn't work with you though.
Prick.
Get back to demon.local with the rest of the pricks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
"Lieutenant wrote in message
newsp.wib0pzfkytk5n5@i7-940...
That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen? All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

Jesus H Christ, 36 and nothing up top (with a degree).
Tetrafluoroethane if you'd get off your arse and look.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/commercial...g-system/11396
HINT: Safety Data Sheet (COSHH)
Normally, someone with a degree has the intelligence to seek information. It
doesn't work with you though.
Prick.
Get back to demon.local with the rest of the pricks.

Which is the R134a which you get fined for releasing to atmosphere from
air conditioners in Australia.
ps. you can get it in electronic shops to blow the dust off your
keyboard and it used to be used as an aerosol in asthma puffers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
d.com...
brass monkey wrote:
[...]

I've really no idea, "**** for brains" asked the question, I merely tried to
help, kinda.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, Dentists and electrical fault tracers use a much smaller quantity of it
to in the first case cause cold in a tooth to see if you feel it in which
case the nerve is still alive, or to cool components that may be failing
with heat.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"brass monkey" wrote in message
b.com...

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wib0pzfkytk5n5@i7-940...
That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen? All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

Jesus H Christ, 36 and nothing up top (with a degree).
Tetrafluoroethane if you'd get off your arse and look.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/commercial...g-system/11396
HINT: Safety Data Sheet (COSHH)
Normally, someone with a degree has the intelligence to seek information.
It doesn't work with you though.
Prick.
Get back to demon.local with the rest of the pricks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:16:12 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote

That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen?

Nope, that can't be done at room temp.

Critical point for Nitrogen is at about 126K (-147°C) and 40 bar - you're not going to find that in your average aerosol :-)

As other posters have already said, it's a fluorocarbon that's used in freezer sprays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:23:47 +0100, wrote:

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:16:12 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote

That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen?

Nope, that can't be done at room temp.

Critical point for Nitrogen is at about 126K (-147°C) and 40 bar - you're not going to find that in your average aerosol :-)

As other posters have already said, it's a fluorocarbon that's used in freezer sprays.

I see.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 01:50:27 +0100, F Murtz wrote:

brass monkey wrote:
"Lieutenant wrote in message
newsp.wib0pzfkytk5n5@i7-940...
That freezer spray you use for plumbing - anyone know what's in it? A
friend said "liquid nitrogen". I was about to say how stupid he was when
I realised I actually have no idea what it is. Maybe it is liquid
nitrogen? All I can find on google is that is works by evaporation.

Jesus H Christ, 36 and nothing up top (with a degree).
Tetrafluoroethane if you'd get off your arse and look.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/commercial...g-system/11396
HINT: Safety Data Sheet (COSHH)
Normally, someone with a degree has the intelligence to seek information. It
doesn't work with you though.
Prick.
Get back to demon.local with the rest of the pricks.

Why spend ages searching when I can just ask? The specs aren't displayed in most online shops.

Which is the R134a which you get fined for releasing to atmosphere from
air conditioners in Australia.

Australia are a little wimpy with regards to pollution.

ps. you can get it in electronic shops to blow the dust off your
keyboard

Doesn't that freeze the keyboard?

and it used to be used as an aerosol in asthma puffers.

Freeze their throats? That'll cure the Asthma.....

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.wifs4ishytk5n5@i7-940...

brass monkey wrote:
[...]

Find it yourself next time, pal.

Which is the R134a which you get fined for releasing to atmosphere from
air conditioners in Australia.

Australia are a little wimpy with regards to pollution.

ps. you can get it in electronic shops to blow the dust off your
keyboard

Doesn't that freeze the keyboard?

and it used to be used as an aerosol in asthma puffers.

Freeze their throats? That'll cure the Asthma.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 1, 8:21*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Yes, Dentists and electrical fault tracers use a much smaller quantity of it
to in the first case *cause cold in a tooth to see if you feel it in which
case the nerve is still alive, or to cool components that may be failing
with heat.

Or, indeed, cool ones which work with heat, but it's a very blunt
instrument.

MBQ