Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flogging the end of my garden to my neighbour

I'm planning to sell the end 40% of my garden to my next door neighbour.

We want to do it without involving a solicitor as in my experience they do very little, do it wrong, take a long time about it and charge more than they said to do it!

My reading of the Land Registry website is that we can fill in some forms, pay them £40 and it'll be done via a boundary agreement.

Any thoughts on this anyone (the procedure I mean, not whether all solictors are as I said!!!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2012 20:51, Murmansk wrote:
I'm planning to sell the end 40% of my garden to my next door neighbour.

We want to do it without involving a solicitor as in my experience they do very little, do it wrong, take a long time about it and charge more than they said to do it!

My reading of the Land Registry website is that we can fill in some forms, pay them £40 and it'll be done via a boundary agreement.

Any thoughts on this anyone (the procedure I mean, not whether all solictors are as I said!!!)

Do either of you have a mortgage on the property concerned? If so you
will need to inform the lender and comply with their requirements. There
are a number of potential pitfalls to catch the unwary and by not taking
appropriate legal advice you will probably just make work for them in
the future.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2012 20:51, Murmansk wrote:
I'm planning to sell the end 40% of my garden to my next door neighbour.

We want to do it without involving a solicitor as in my experience they do very little, do it wrong, take a long time about it and charge more than they said to do it!

My reading of the Land Registry website is that we can fill in some forms, pay them £40 and it'll be done via a boundary agreement.

Any thoughts on this anyone (the procedure I mean, not whether all solictors are as I said!!!)

Don't.

Phone a local solicitor and ask for a fixed price conveyancing offer
......... DIY legal makes some solicitors very rich when it all goes pear
shaped.

A Commercial practice should do this very reasonably for you using
standard forms - absolutely should be fixed price offer ... so you can
compare quotes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd be very careful about it as come the time you need to flog the house
and if there is access to a road at that end, you will need to make sure
access is still assured I fancy.
Brian

Also if there is any sort of right of access along the back of the garden.
Terraces, for example, often have right of access from the road, long the
end gardens and then along the back of adjoining gardens to your own garden.

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:21:24 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

On 30/07/2012 20:51, Murmansk wrote:
I'm planning to sell the end 40% of my garden to my next door neighbour.

We want to do it without involving a solicitor as in my experience they do very little, do it wrong, take a long time about it and charge more than they said to do it!

My reading of the Land Registry website is that we can fill in some forms, pay them £40 and it'll be done via a boundary agreement.

Any thoughts on this anyone (the procedure I mean, not whether all solictors are as I said!!!)

Don't.

Phone a local solicitor and ask for a fixed price conveyancing offer
........ DIY legal makes some solicitors very rich when it all goes pear
shaped.

Would you care to give an example or two? I've never heard of a DIY
conveyance making a solicitor rich. It's generally a simple process
which just needs a bit of care, which is something solicitors don't
seem to be very good at.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 30, 2012 8:51:10 PM UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I'm ....

AAMOI, Why are you called 'Murmansk'?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 02:39:35 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

AAMOI, Why are you called 'Murmansk'?

Cold and distant?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the input.

I call myself Murmansk because simply because I went there back in 1986!

The gardens are all strips of land behind a row of 1930s semis, each garden backs onto the garden of the house behind. A very conventional setup and therefore no issues of access or back streets etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2012 20:46, Murmansk wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I call myself Murmansk because simply because I went there back in 1986!

The gardens are all strips of land behind a row of 1930s semis, each garden backs onto the garden of the house behind. A very conventional setup and therefore no issues of access or back streets etc.

Around my way a lot of gardens back onto the garden of the house in the
next street however the plans show that there should be an alleyway
between the gardens. The alleys have been blocked off or householders
have extended the fence at the back of the garden. I doubt if anyone
minds or cares about the situation as it makes the property more secure.

You may need to check you house deeds and/or a have a coucil search to
find the true legal position.

My new neighbour ARWadsworth UK diy 8 July 22nd 12 11:12 AM
Toy Estima - worth flogging for breaking? where? John Stumbles UK diy 7 October 15th 10 10:16 PM
Mills ... another flogging Snag Metalworking 11 October 22nd 07 11:31 AM
Another rail and stile dovetail proposal. Flogging a dead horse? Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 9 May 15th 06 09:36 PM