Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof boarding?

What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat roof?
Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid chipboard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_Cook wrote:

What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat
roof? Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid
chipboard?

I've got planks on an older flat roof, but ply on some others. Similr origin
date.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat roof?
Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid chipboard?

possibly "Strammit" board: Compressed straw. Was specified for my 1966
garage and my 1972 extension.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AJH wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:50:01 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat
roof? Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid
chipboard?

I've got planks on an older flat roof, but ply on some others. Similr
origin date.

I've replaced strammit off a 1968 garage, cut out the damaged sections
with a chainsaw and replaced with 12mm ply plus a bit of packing
under.

a lot of packing - the strammit board I used was 2" thick.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

AJH wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat
roof? Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid
chipboard?

Before I replaced it with 18mm ply, mine was weetabix

I've got planks on an older flat roof, but ply on some others. Similr
origin date.

I've replaced strammit off a 1968 garage, cut out the damaged sections
with a chainsaw and replaced with 12mm ply plus a bit of packing
under.

Still available for Rod and his mates
http://www.ortech.com.au/about-us/history-and-heritage

a lot of packing - the strammit board I used was 2" thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote in message
In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat

roof?
Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid chipboard?

possibly "Strammit" board: Compressed straw. Was specified for my 1966
garage and my 1972 extension.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Could be 1960s or 70s
Thanks for that, I was just about to google "strammit" , looks like a half
inch hole in the ceiling and a use for that silly Maplin "endoscope"
miniature camera viewer thingy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news
charles wrote:

AJH wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat
roof? Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid
chipboard?

Before I replaced it with 18mm ply, mine was weetabix

I've got planks on an older flat roof, but ply on some others. Similr
origin date.

I've replaced strammit off a 1968 garage, cut out the damaged sections
with a chainsaw and replaced with 12mm ply plus a bit of packing
under.

Still available for Rod and his mates
http://www.ortech.com.au/about-us/history-and-heritage

I actually used their system myself, but used the poly board, not the straw
ones.

Looks like they don't make it anymore for some reason.

a lot of packing - the strammit board I used was 2" thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose the pea grit over the roofing felt is to reduce the amount of
direct sunlight interaction with the tar. Then secondary maybe ,if any felt
delaminates ,then half a chance that the weight of stones on top will stop
strong wind lifting the sheet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 30, 8:15*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat roof?
Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid chipboard?

Decent thickness 6" planks on ours (1973).

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:21:23 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

I suppose the pea grit over the roofing felt is to reduce the amount of
direct sunlight interaction with the tar. Then secondary maybe ,if any felt
delaminates ,then half a chance that the weight of stones on top will stop
strong wind lifting the sheet.

Also cuts down rain noise by a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2012 12:21 N_Cook wrote:

I suppose the pea grit over the roofing felt is to reduce the amount of
direct sunlight interaction with the tar. Then secondary maybe ,if any felt
delaminates ,then half a chance that the weight of stones on top will stop
strong wind lifting the sheet.

A roofer I spoke to explained that the grit was there to retain water
for as long as possible to keep the roof damp and, therefore, cool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I suppose the pea grit over the roofing felt is to reduce the amount of
direct sunlight interaction with the tar. Then secondary maybe ,if any

felt
delaminates ,then half a chance that the weight of stones on top will

stop
strong wind lifting the sheet.

Also cuts down rain noise by a lot.

Interesting point, therwise it would act a bit like a drum skin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/07/2012 12:21 N_Cook wrote:

I suppose the pea grit over the roofing felt is to reduce the amount of
direct sunlight interaction with the tar. Then secondary maybe ,if any

felt
delaminates ,then half a chance that the weight of stones on top will

stop
strong wind lifting the sheet.

A roofer I spoke to explained that the grit was there to retain water
for as long as possible to keep the roof damp and, therefore, cool.

like ecologists microclimates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"N_Cook" writes:
What would likely be the under-felt boarding to a 1970s (nearly) flat roof?
Recycled floor boards? plywood? Stirling board? heaven-forbid chipboard?

Parents' flat roof extension in 1960's was compressed strawboard.
It lasted about 35 years, which amazed all the roofers who came to
quote for replacing it.

I believe it was replaced with marine ply, but I wasn't there when
that bit of it was done.

The compressed strawboard was also used on some school roofs that
I recall seeing being built in 1979/1980.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I suppose the pea grit over the roofing felt is to reduce the amount of
direct sunlight interaction with the tar. Then secondary maybe ,if any

felt
delaminates ,then half a chance that the weight of stones on top will

stop
strong wind lifting the sheet.

Also cuts down rain noise by a lot.

Interesting point, therwise it would act a bit like a drum skin

Pea grit probably deters birds and cats to a certain extent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"N_Cook" wrote:
[snip]

Pea grit probably deters birds and cats to a certain extent

Especially when propelled by compressed air.

Roof timbers for shallow pitch flat roof robgraham UK diy 2 September 4th 08 10:00 PM
Flat roof Adam UK diy 3 February 27th 06 04:33 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM