Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Falling through a flat roof

Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 27, 2012 10:12:41 AM UTC+1, Scion wrote:
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks

Test the roof first by gently pressing your foot down on to the surface as you go. If there is any movement of the surface then keep off or use a board across the area. Don’t be tempted to press any blisters, raised felt humps to flatten them down. If you want to use a ladder on a flat roof put some doubled up carpet or board down first, beware that if a board is used the ladder may slide, get someone to hold the ladder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 10:12*am, Scion wrote:
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks

Do you know how the roof is constructed? You should be OK, subject to
the advice already given. On the other hand, there are people like me
who do a temporary repair to an irredeemable polycarbonate roof by
covering it with roofing felt. Any burlgar attempting to get to my
bedroom dormer window that way would be in for a surprise.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster spake thus:

On Jul 27, 10:12Â*am, Scion wrote:
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks

Do you know how the roof is constructed?

No, other than it is tarred and has chippings covering it. But the
underlying structure, no idea.

You should be OK, subject to
the advice already given. On the other hand, there are people like me
who do a temporary repair to an irredeemable polycarbonate roof by
covering it with roofing felt. Any burlgar attempting to get to my
bedroom dormer window that way would be in for a surprise.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kipper at sea spake thus:

On Friday, July 27, 2012 10:12:41 AM UTC+1, Scion wrote:
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks

Test the roof first by gently pressing your foot down on to the surface
as you go. If there is any movement of the surface then keep off or use
a board across the area. Dont be tempted to press any blisters, raised
felt humps to flatten them down. If you want to use a ladder on a flat
roof put some doubled up carpet or board down first, beware that if a
board is used the ladder may slide, get someone to hold the ladder.

Good suggestions, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 10:12*am, Scion wrote:
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Thanks

Do you know how the roof is constructed?

No, other than it is tarred and has chippings covering it. But the
underlying structure, no idea.

You should be OK, subject to
the advice already given. On the other hand, there are people like me
who do a temporary repair to an irredeemable polycarbonate roof by
covering it with roofing felt. Any burlgar attempting to get to my
bedroom dormer window that way would be in for a surprise.

:-)

They should be ok to walk on, but there are exceptions. When its
covered with chippings is the prime exception, walking on those will
push them through the felt and ruin the roof. If you cang et the
chipings off where you're going, then put down a board to spread the
load, you'll usually be ok. Flat roofs with rotten timber are hardly
rare though. So you may be better supporting your ladder elsewhere.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scion wrote:
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

Yes, but beware of rotten boards below, and don't let your feet press
sharp stones into the felt. And don't forget that a fall of only 8ft
over the edge can kill.

What about if I want to use a ladder on the flat roof - should I use a
board to place the ladder feet on?

Yes but it might slide so tie it.

Bill

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 10:12 am, Scion wrote:
[...]

My window cleaner for the last 20 years has walked on the chippings and
still no leaks, suppose it depends on the quality of installation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scion
writes
Are domestic flat roofs, in principle, OK to walk around on or should I
use boards to spread the load?

My uncle died (broke his neck) after falling through a flat roof he was
working on

A "domestic flat roof" is not a very precise term

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Corporal Jones

[...]