Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gey water disposal

Google strongly suggests that grey water (e.g. from a wash basin in the
workshop/shed) cannot be routed to a soakaway, but must go to main drainage
or a septic tank.

Haven't checked the fall to the existing drains yet, but I have the sinking
feeling that my only option is likely to be a macerator/pump.
And that the route will go smack through the area that BC will specify for
the soakaway for the rainwater off the back of the house.
Unless of course they agree that we can't get the required 5m from all
existing buildings and so can continue to discharge the rainwater into the
foul water drains.

My original thoughts were to put in mains drainage to the Mother of All
Sheds if the fall was O.K., or just run in mains water for a wash basing and
drain that to a soakaway.

Looks like the second option may be a non-starter unless someone knows
different.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:
Google strongly suggests that grey water (e.g. from a wash basin in the
workshop/shed) cannot be routed to a soakaway, but must go to main drainage
or a septic tank.

Haven't checked the fall to the existing drains yet, but I have the sinking
feeling that my only option is likely to be a macerator/pump.

The outlet of all washing machines is pumped anyway.
My dishwasher claims it can pump out to a few metres height,
but it does have a built-in non-return valve on the waste,
which may be slightly unusual.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:
Google strongly suggests that grey water (e.g. from a wash basin in the
workshop/shed) cannot be routed to a soakaway, but must go to main
drainage
or a septic tank.

Haven't checked the fall to the existing drains yet, but I have the
sinking
feeling that my only option is likely to be a macerator/pump.

The outlet of all washing machines is pumped anyway.
My dishwasher claims it can pump out to a few metres height,
but it does have a built-in non-return valve on the waste,
which may be slightly unusual.

Presumably that is so you can have a washing machine in a basement below the
normal level of the drains?

I think you can also get sumps with pumps to allow the same sort of setup
for basins and showers in a basement.

I don't know how these compare in cost to macerators - don't like the things
but the ability to put a bog in the shed might marginally increase the value
as a potential home office.
It would also avoid clomping through the main living area in gardening or
DIY kit to get to the in-house bog.
Not vital, but worth doing if possible while the whole drainage system is
being reworked.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote:
Google strongly suggests that grey water (e.g. from a wash basin in the
workshop/shed) cannot be routed to a soakaway, but must go to main
drainage or a septic tank.

I've always considered water to have no role or interest in sexual
orientation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 16:59:38 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth
wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote:
Google strongly suggests that grey water (e.g. from a wash basin in the
workshop/shed) cannot be routed to a soakaway, but must go to main
drainage or a septic tank.

I've always considered water to have no role or interest in sexual
orientation.

That might be fey water, shirley?
Gey water is something I'd expect to find in Scotland.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:27:29 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

On Jul 30, 3:47*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Gey water is something I'd expect to find in Scotland.

The Scottish Parliament is talking about legalising mixer taps

Owain

Both hot or both cold, of course.
--
Peter.